British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mycoins

Sovereign 1917 Genuine ?

Also the horse's tail seems to be too far from the rim and the dragon's claws seem to be just claws whereas in the genuine article there are pads on the feet more like a cat rather than a lizard.

Considering Spink quotes these as "forgeries exist" and with a book price starting at £5500 i wouldn't hold my breath but if it was found to be a forgery then it should be able to be returned to the auction house, their grading is also terrible VZ-ST which is EF to UNC.

I've sent them an email regarding it's authenticity and if they are absolutely sure it's genuine and also mentioned that if i win it i'd be sending it off for verification (just to move them into gear, it doesn't interest me) i'll get back to you if they send me a reply

Edited by azda

It doesn't look at all convincing.  Best avoided.

These are coins that I'd buy only with an important provenance ... You will pay it a little more but you sure of its quality

Won’t go near that one

Spotted this one about a year ago and never went near it

1917 REV.jpg

OBV

1917 OBV.jpg

LOL, the last a bit bad there Dave - think I remember it? The OP coin is priced at bullion; IMO is a FAKE with lots of little detail wrong but obviously great care taken as there is a lot of [wrong] beard detail. The visage of the rider on reverse is wrong. Interestingly the edge which is where many of these, including Dave's,  goes bad is actually quite decent.

Incidently. I've just come across this half sovereign in catawiki. The color is so wrong. Could it be a white balance issue?

It can't be a fake, surely not

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

Probably just poor quality lighting Leo

On ‎22‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 9:14 AM, azda said:

Considering Spink quotes these as "forgeries exist" and with a book price starting at £5500 i wouldn't hold my breath but if it was found to be a forgery then it should be able to be returned to the auction house, their grading is also terrible VZ-ST which is EF to UNC.

I've sent them an email regarding it's authenticity and if they are absolutely sure it's genuine and also mentioned that if i win it i'd be sending it off for verification (just to move them into gear, it doesn't interest me) i'll get back to you if they send me a reply

I sent them a mail asking if the coin is followed by an expertise but they have not answered yet.

1 minute ago, Mycoins said:

I sent them a mail asking if the coin is followed by an expertise but they have not answered yet.

Haven't had anything back either, makes you wonder if they know it's not genuine themselves

As a comparison this is the 1917 London Mint Sovereign from The ParkHouse Collection that i photographed

1917 L sovereign.jpg

Graded NGC MS63

Still no answer from the auctionhouse. I am starting to suspect that they know what they are doing. Even if Rheinland is not top of the pop, they ought to have a catalogue at hand.