British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all, looking at this rather nice William halfcrown on eBay- the seller ( GB classic coins) has described it as being in EF condition, but, due to my recent disasters in overgraded coins, I thought I'd double check this on here first. For sale at £275.

Also, anyone have any experiences with this seller? He seems to have many nice examples of coins for sale at very reasonable prices. 

C44

IMG_20160819_114340.jpg

IMG_20160819_114356.jpg

Edited by Conor44

Allowing for the wear above and to the right of the ear on the obverse, and the weak central area and minor wear to the swag on the reverse, I'd say a decent NEF.

Interesting but rather odd angle to photograph the coin at. I'd guess at this angle with the right lighting it may accentuate the coins relief.

Looks Fairly nice NEF/EF 

EF seems a fair grading for this coin. It shows the usual weak strike in the center of the shield and slight wear on the edge of the drapes with the LHS showing more. Slight wear to the ear and hair on the obverse.

I like it.  I would say at least NEF, probably not quite a pure EF for me.  I would be tempted too, although it is the commonest year for the Wiliiam IV halfcrown and the price is reasonably full, I think.  

Good luck with your decision!

The legendary Martin Platt

On 19/08/2016 at 11:53 AM, Conor44 said:

Hi all, looking at this rather nice William halfcrown on eBay- the seller ( GB classic coins) has described it as being in EF condition, but, due to my recent disasters in overgraded coins, I thought I'd double check this on here first. For sale at £275.

Also, anyone have any experiences with this seller? He seems to have many nice examples of coins for sale at very reasonable prices. 

C44

IMG_20160819_114340.jpg

IMG_20160819_114356.jpg

I think the seller is the legendary Martin Platt from Truro

I'll take that back Martin's ebay shop is classiccoinsandmedals

Edited by jacinbox

I don't collect this series yet so I don't know how the wear pattern develops here, but I'm quite intrigued at how worn the center of the reverse is (top of English lions) while other areas of the shield are pristine. Is the coin convex or something?

Lovely heraldics by the way

Just reading your previous posts. I can't see how that is a weak strike in the centre, looks like wear to me? Again I don't know this series

8 hours ago, Leo said:

Just reading your previous posts. I can't see how that is a weak strike in the centre, looks like wear to me? Again I don't know this series

Weakness in the centre is often seen on this reverse.  The top lion in the bottom right shield is usually less distinct than the other two.

Yes the much discussed or maybe infamous MP .

Coin is NEF IMHO maybe hes starting to mend his ways

Was watching a nice looking 1919kn on eBay a few weeks a go, which ended up at £311 (Link), that then turned up here with the usual private listing format, I was winning at about £200 until the last second of course. So it "sold" for £218, I've just been waiting for the 'second chance offer' but not holding my breath <_<

Started the bidding at £1 with no reserve.............Wind your neck in.

Sold for £218 .......Stretch your condom.

Wouldnt even have the patience to watch them :rolleyes:

Edited by PWA 1967

LOL what?

I always watch the seldom seen coins for prices realised, or to bid if it's a good price. I only bid on the MP one on the off chance that his shiller had internet problems as the auction ended :lol:

Wouldnt matter if there were problems or the WORLD ended he wouldnt of sold it at a loss.

I remember a block of about a hundred 10/ notes being sold on ebay a few years ago.

They are scarcer in large groups as obviously banks gave out larger denominations.

The buyer relisted them not long after and i felt really happy as i got them for a lot less and at a cheap price.

I paid straight away but the day after he refunded my money and sent me an apology as why putting them in the envelope he had knocked a cup of tea on them........:o

Pete.

Lol obviously, this is MP we're talking about

Just now, Nordle11 said:

Lol obviously, this is MP we're talking about

Not the banknotes Matt.

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Not the banknotes Matt.

That was about the WORLD ending post, didn't see your last one about the bank notes. That's a kick in the b******* though :( 

World ending post........:lol:

Think i need to get out and go for a walk but not with a board round my neck shouting :lol:

About a year ago I bought one that could have been a rarer variety, I think the seller cottoned on to it and they 'couldn't find it anywhere' after I'd bought it. Funnily enough they messaged me back about 2 months later to say they'd found it, the funny thing was that it had somehow worked it's way into a slab while being lost. I guess they sent it off to check for varieties and when it came back as bog standard they offered it back to me.

• Like 1

:lol:

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Was watching a nice looking 1919kn on eBay a few weeks a go, which ended up at £311 (Link), that then turned up here with the usual private listing format, I was winning at about £200 until the last second of course. So it "sold" for £218, I've just been waiting for the 'second chance offer' but not holding my breath <_<

Nice little loss made there, it will be back sometime or other, it was his wife' eBay name that won it.....