British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

Advice On Damaged Coin

Hi can you please advise if my recently purchased 1899 Shilling should be returned to seller. Its a lovely coin but on inspection I notice some damage near to the date 1899 to the right. Perhaps someone could tell me why this is.

IMGP2772.JPGIMGP2775.JPG

Edited by UPINSMOKE

It looks a bit like a die flaw to me, which would not be the seller's fault. Although generally speaking, it's good form to mention it in the sales pitch. Were you able to close up the pic before you bought/bid, whatever, such that it would have been readily visible?  

I may be wrong about it being a die flaw - have to see what others think. 

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Were you able to close up the pic before you bought/bid, whatever, such that it would have been readily visible?  

No I was only given the choice of Reverse and Obverse pictures and was not able to get close ups. By the way it was bought from a dealer not the popular online auction. I am a bit concerned they may not take it back. Just wanted your views before I do anything about it.

I'm going with a planchet flaw, the area where the beads are seems to be raised

Yes, Dave's spot on in that it's a defective planchet. Imperfections in the metal will do that, among other things. 

Also if you bought it from a dealer you shouldn't be concerned that they might not take it back, 99% will. If they don't then it's probably not a good person to do business with. 

• Like 1

yes blank in defective 95% certain

If you dont notice the flaw when you bought it really it only becomes one persons fault , YOURS

25 minutes ago, copper123 said:

If you dont notice the flaw when you bought it really it only becomes one persons fault , YOURS

Just to clarify I bought from an online dealer and the pictures on the website did not show this at all, so how is it my fault :huh::rolleyes:  It was only when I was photographing it I notice the flaw. I have emailed the seller to ask for it to be returned, so will wait an see what they say.

Oh and thanks to everyone for the feedback it helps a lot .

Edited by UPINSMOKE

I think you're doing the right this time, a good dealer would mention the flaw, planchet problems do detract. Slow down in your urge to buy, save the online pictures and go over it several times before jumping in on a purchase.

ok sorry , but usually a picture should show the date on a coin its the most important feature the one that can make a coin worth scrap value or £100 do you think the dealer did not show the date on purpose?

Bad or at least poor practice by the dealer

45 minutes ago, azda said:

I think you're doing the right this time, a good dealer would mention the flaw, planchet problems do detract. Slow down in your urge to buy, save the online pictures and go over it several times before jumping in on a purchase.

This is good advice and something I've being doing more of recently.

Regarding your shilling - the planchet flaw might be seen as making the coin more interesting to you, something to contrast against your other coins.  But if you're not happy with the coin and it wasn't as described (or the coin wasn't fully pictured) then I think you're perfectly entitled to ask the dealer for a refund.  The dealer probably has a returns policy on their website anyway?

46 minutes ago, copper123 said:

ok sorry , but usually a picture should show the date on a coin its the most important feature the one that can make a coin worth scrap value or £100 do you think the dealer did not show the date on purpose?

Bad or at least poor practice by the dealer

No your right it did show the date in the picture but the flaw did not show so prominent as it did in my pictures I took myself. That's why I did not notice it, and being a novice at this and being recommended the dealer on here I just took the description as read and thought everything would be good. Just shows how much I need to think about before parting with my money. These discussion help me a lot thanks for all your help.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

In any event (based on your interests), just crank up the stereo and stick on Rock N Roll, War Pigs and Highway Star and everything will be right with the world again :)

• Like 1

AHHH i see , yes this sort of flaw does not often show up when a coin is scanned , you certainly have a case if it was not mentioned in the description .

A bit of classic rush from the late seventies would be better than that noisey sabbath lot.

Stick on La Villa Strangiato and everything will be right with the world...  :)

14 minutes ago, copper123 said:

A bit of classic rush from the late seventies would be better than that noisey sabbath lot.

Sabbath fan all my life even have a Toni Iommi Special Ltd Edition Guitar that I am trying to play should have started 50 years ago but something to do in retirement. Can play the intro to Smoke On The Water and status Quo intro to Pictures Of Matchstick Men but that s my lot at present.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Classic prog rock for me, but also like the supergroups you mention

Would love to know the dealer, give us a clue!

I remember paying £1.50 for a ticket to see rush at the apollo manchester in 1978  2112 tour I walked out with my head blitzed  thinking "what the hell was that" in a nice way though it was loud .

the only concert i ever walked out on was sabath the same year , that was just too much very loud and  my head was starting to spin

sorry i also walked out on metalica in the early eighties as well but that was also because of something i tried at the time something thats illegal now if you know what i meen.

Mid 70s to mid 80s were my main concert going years, never saw Rush but pretty much everyone else I wanted to, great times :)

Well never saw any of the rock groups I liked back in the day, except Black Sabbath live but not in concert. I manage to get a glimpse of them when they filmed one of their video's at Battle Abbey in East Sussex this was after they got rid of Ozzy as lead singer. I managed to get in the Abbey with my brother and his friend and crept up on the battlements to watch then playB). But did get to see Hawkwind and Wizzard on Hastings Pier.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

41 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Well never saw any of the rock groups I liked back in the day, except Black Sabbath live but not in concert. I manage to get a glimpse of them when they filmed one of their video's at Battle Abbey in East Sussex this was after they got rid of Ozzy as lead singer. I managed to get in the Abbey with my brother and his friend and crept up on the battlements to watch then playB). But did get to see Hawkwind and Wizzard on Hastings Pier.

Nothing wrong with Ronnie James Dio as replacement lead singer, legend

I find it really strange how in 35 years  a concert ticket for a band has gone up in cost from a hour or twos wages to a couple of days wages with outdoor concerts totally priceing themselves out of the market but selling out in a hour or two (100,000 or so tickets!)

Personally i always use the touts now I turn up ten minutes b4 a gig and just offer the touts £15 for a £60 ticket .

They never refuse it because the tickets in their pockets become worthless when the band comes on

I never fail to get in

On 17/8/2016 at 11:38 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Sabbath fan all my life even have a Toni Iommi Special Ltd Edition Guitar that I am trying to play should have started 50 years ago but something to do in retirement. Can play the intro to Smoke On The Water and status Quo intro to Pictures Of Matchstick Men but that s my lot at present.

We were in Finland last month and headed into Helsinki for a look around, went around a corner only to see them coming out of their hotel.

1.jpg

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

I find it really strange how in 35 years  a concert ticket for a band has gone up in cost from a hour or twos wages to a couple of days wages with outdoor concerts totally priceing themselves out of the market but selling out in a hour or two (100,000 or so tickets!)

Personally i always use the touts now I turn up ten minutes b4 a gig and just offer the touts £15 for a £60 ticket .

They never refuse it because the tickets in their pockets become worthless when the band comes on

I never fail to get in

Great tactics B)