British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

9 hours ago, Leo said:

The pearls in the collar are only beginning to appear flat at the top. The garter is in quite detail, so are the jewels in the crown, the fold of veil is still in higher plane than the ear... Britannia's fingers on the trident are quite fine still... But yes other areas suggest weak strike like Britannia's helmet. It is only my interpretation of Mr. Perkins' manual is that this coin would be NEF and would make EF if it wasn't a common one, or if it had lustre or a stronger strike.

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

IMO the coin posted is around VF+ bearing in mind that farthings of this date were darkened by the mint so the tone is appropriate. Value is more difficult - in the end it is what someone is prepared to pay for it, so if the OP was happy with the price they paid, then that is it's value to them.

Thanks Guys a do appreciate you taking the time to comment on the grade. I now have the photo,s from CGS. I don't know if viewing these will effect your opinion of the grade you have given so far. I do think these are better representation of the coin.

1899 Farthing CGS Obv.jpg1899 Farthing CGS Rev.jpg

I would be happy with it. Nice colour, good fingers, no knocks and dents. A weak strike on the helmet and her left arm but not big money spent for a straightforward honest coin

I would still go with VF+ to NEF - the loss of detail on the helmet and a few bits of wear on the high points just holding it back. It will be interesting to see what the graders say - please let us know when you get it back.

26 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I would still go with VF+ to NEF - the loss of detail on the helmet and a few bits of wear on the high points just holding it back. It will be interesting to see what the graders say - please let us know when you get it back.

Thanks I will let you know when I get it back. I am now very interested myself to find out how they find the coin. Its interesting as when I bought the coin it was described with a much higher grade. Not that I am complaining, it was my choice to buy it or not.

5 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I don't see how the grade relates to the strike. An uncirculated coin with a weak strike is still uncirculated. Less desirable, certainly, but surely the grade relates to the relative wear of what left the mint?

You are absolutely right. That is what the Americans would call MS60, isn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, Leo said:

That is what the Americans would call MS60, isn't it?

I don't know. :unsure: Do they give a higher grade for a better strike?

Do they give a higher grade for a better strike?

They have 10 grades for 'mint state', where the lower ones are for coins with weak strikes, bag abrasions, hairlines etc. Sheldon scale

However Mick's coin is circulated, not MS

I now have the photo,s from CGS

I think It looks like a worse coin in their photos, but you will know which one is more honest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leo said:

They have 10 grades for 'mint state', where the lower ones are for coins with weak strikes, bag abrasions, hairlines etc. Sheldon scale

Thank you. Slightly embarrassed to admit I'd never looked at the Sheldon scale in too much detail. :lol:

4 hours ago, Leo said:

You are absolutely right. That is what the Americans would call MS60, isn't it?

MS60 on the Sheldon Scale is somewhere around EF or GEF in your grading. Little luster, if any, and distracting bag marks, etc,  but still a very desireable coin.

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Thank you. Slightly embarrassed to admit I'd never looked at the Sheldon scale in too much detail. :lol:

I only looked at it last night... :ph34r:

I think the coin looks slightly more worn in the CGS photos too, but I agree with IanB that it's a nice, straightforward honest coin that I would be happy with if it were mine.
NEF for me on those second photos perhaps.  I've probably got stricter since I've been reading this forum...

Which brings me to the good point that Mick raises for relative beginners like himself and myself.  When people like us buy from a reputable dealer such as the one who sold Mick this farthing and the coin is given a grade by them, we probably assume that their opinion of grade carries a certain amount of weight and isn't going to be miles away from what a TPG might say.  We then probably look at some of the price guides for the coin in the grade and this will influence a purchase decision.

I've bought a few coins from this same dealer, and am happy with the majority of them as objects to enjoy owning, but ... maybe they aren't really as described?  And in no way is that dealer the most over-optimistic.  I won't name names of some others!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stuntman said:

When people like us buy from a reputable dealer such as the one who sold Mick this farthing and the coin is given a grade by them, we probably assume that their opinion of grade carries a certain amount of weight and isn't going to be miles away from what a TPG might say.  We then probably look at some of the price guides for the coin in the grade and this will influence a purchase decision.

Your spot on with this, I did exactly that. I looked at the dealers list, pictures and the grade they gave it. Decided I was interested then checked a coin price guide to verify value's. Pleased with what I found and decided to buy. I did go on what the dealer graded it as I trusted their judgment and experience being new to collecting. Perhaps now I maybe know better, or should have got a 2nd opinion before the purchase.  

I am still happy with it and would not hesitate to buy from them again. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 10:51 PM, Leo said:

However Mick's coin is circulated, not MS

I think It looks like a worse coin in their photos, but you will know which one is more honest

If you check the CGS table, the have 19 different grade for the Sheldon scale starting at MS60  to MS70

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

This was graded as CGS 80:

1901-farthing.jpg

Really?.........Wow

5 minutes ago, azda said:

Really?.........Wow

There's hope for mine still then :rolleyes::) Your does look slightly better than mine but not a lot in it.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

So according to the opinions written here, your farthing will score between 40 (VF) and 60 (EF)

I am very curious to know the final result, please share :)

Incidentally the LCGS web is horrendous, anybody has the official CGS table that I can print? I can only find one from eBay

9 minutes ago, Leo said:

So according to the opinions written here, your farthing will score between 40 (VF) and 60 (EF)

Incidentally the LCGS web is horrendous, anybody has the official CGS table that I can print? I can only find one from eBay

www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/5165-useful-links/?page=6 scroll down the page

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leo said:

As I promised this is the grade LCGS gave my 1899 Farthing well worth sending IMO. I am sure you will want to discuss some more.:unsure::):)

UIN 0040529
img.php?u=0040529&f=o&s=m img.php?u=0040529&f=r&s=m
Coin Type FA.V1.1899.01
Origin Great Britain
Description Farthing Victoria 1899
Variety Dies 1+A
Standard References Freeman 577
Provenance  
Grade CGS 80
Population Level 3 out of 6
Value £ 50
Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

As I promised this is the grade LCGS gave my 1899 Farthing well worth sending IMO. I am sure you will want to discuss some more.:unsure::):)

UIN 0040529
Coin Type FA.V1.1899.01
Origin Great Britain
Variety Dies 1+A
Provenance  
Grade CGS 80
Value £ 50

I'm sure i don't want to discuss it more, just surprised it is classed as UNC as the fingers on Britannia are worn which is the first indicator of  wear on these REV designs. Just a curious question though, how much was the slabbing as the total value (or LCGS value) is £50

Edited by azda

47 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

UIN 0040529
Coin Type FA.V1.1899.01
Origin Great Britain
Variety Dies 1+A
Provenance  
Grade CGS 80
Value £ 50

Sorry to interupt your thread but can i ask how long it took from the time you sent it please :)

Well it seems like your farthing has done extremely well Mick! I think 80 is generous though. It was also generous for Nonmortuus' specimen.

17 minutes ago, Leo said:

Well it seems like your farthing has done extremely well Mick! I think 80 is generous though. It was also generous for Nonmortuus' specimen.

I was actually speaking about Nons coin, not sure how upinsmoke came into it with his <_<