British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

Zookeeperz, how do you “deal” with the verdigris spots?

1 hour ago, whitedb said:

I haven't decided yet. Most things I have seen including acetone still leave marks on the coin. I am still awaiting delivery so i'll let you know what I decide . I don't think the blob in the middle is anything serious carbon at worse but looks like dirt but till i get me grubbies on it I am going to mull it over. :) Might not be such a drastic problem as brass is a tougher metal than copper was thinking of bicarb and a squeeze of lemon juice and cotton bud it for a few seconds and clean it off with distilled water.

On 28/04/2018 at 9:39 AM, zookeeperz said:

They seek em here they seek em there  1881 4 berries Farthing I thought i'd share. :)

1881.4berries.obv.jpg

That rymes, almost exactly the same grade as the one I have just found and emprisoned in my collection

Edited by copper123
gg
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, whitedb said:

try acetone and a cocktail stick might do some good as well

• Like 1

Hmm, something else to hunt down lol :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

1817 Half crown D/T in DEI and I think it's Inverted 1 /1  

1817.obverse-horz.jpg

• Like 4

A couple of bank holiday pick ups. 1826 farthing 1827 1/3 farthing :)

1826.obverse-horz.jpg

• Like 3

1827.thried-horz.jpg

• Like 6

Really pleased with this . thought it was going to be a dog but pleasantly surprised. Much better grade than I thought it was. Almost a serious coin :lol:

1909-tile.jpg

• Like 6

Nice. Judging from the ear, hair above, lions' faces, and harp, I'd say that was all but EF. Only the I in HONI, P in PENSE, and hair on the cheek give it a lesser grade.

5 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Nice. Judging from the ear, hair above, lions' faces, and harp, I'd say that was all but EF. Only the I in HONI, P in PENSE, and hair on the cheek give it a lesser grade.

Thanks

yes I was looking at the higher side of GVF if the I and P had been full then defo an EF   . Actually its nicer than the pic. My cam shots in daylight for some reason are so much worse than at night. Perhaps due to light being more focused on the subject at night?

Edited by zookeeperz

Lovely half crown there Zoo.  :)

• Like 1

You beat me to it by minutes @zookeeperz ;) nice coin for the money, certainly worth what you paid for it.

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

Quick question to @zookeeperz and @Stuntman, why do you post your new coins on this thread rather than the acquisition of the week thread? Is if because, like me on my Nons crap thread, you sometimes have new stuff but you don't deem it worthy of the main thread? I am wondering whether to just post pics of my new coins in the acquisition of the week thread regardless of grade if I want to show them.

I post them on this one because it actually was my latest acquisition as were all those coins previous. Probably should of put the 1909 Half crown on acquisition of the week as it was a great buy. But there are so many threads and pages it is easier to put them all where I know they are. Also I might find something else worthy of the A.O.T.W. Then I would have 2. Plus there are Penny threads and had it been a Penny it might well of gone on there. Gets a little confusing with all the mini threads lol :)

29 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

You beat me to it by minutes @zookeeperz ;) nice coin for the money, certainly worth what you paid for it.

certainly was. I thought the obverse was going to be a dog and compared to the other 3 coins he had I was pleasantly surprised. Doesn't happen very often but very grateful when it does :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I post them on this one because it actually was my latest acquisition as were all those coins previous. Probably should of put the 1909 Half crown on acquisition of the week as it was a great buy. But there are so many threads and pages it is easier to put them all where I know they are. Also I might find something else worthy of the A.O.T.W. Then I would have 2. Plus there are Penny threads and had it been a Penny it might well of gone on there. Gets a little confusing with all the mini threads lol :)

Yes I agree, I find myself having to look over 5 or 6 threads to see what goodies people have picked up recently :D

• Like 1

Blame the penny people for the initial duplication of threads. They were the ones who felt they needed their own. 

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Quick question to @zookeeperz and @Stuntman, why do you post your new coins on this thread rather than the acquisition of the week thread?

Simple. It's because "acquisition" is spelled correctly here. :lol:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Quick question to @zookeeperz and @Stuntman, why do you post your new coins on this thread rather than the acquisition of the week thread? Is if because, like me on my Nons crap thread, you sometimes have new stuff but you don't deem it worthy of the main thread? I am wondering whether to just post pics of my new coins in the acquisition of the week thread regardless of grade if I want to show them.

I'm not sure that I've ever posted one of my coins on this thread.  Probably because I rarely acquire new coins at the moment :)

I agree with the general sentiment though; it would be simpler if all acquisition pictures were in one place, but I'd rather people kept posting them somewhere rather than nowhere, since it provides vicarious pleasure!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I'm not sure that I've ever posted one of my coins on this thread.  Probably because I rarely acquire new coins at the moment :)

I agree with the general sentiment though; it would be simpler if all acquisition pictures were in one place, but I'd rather people kept posting them somewhere rather than nowhere, since it provides vicarious pleasure!

That's what I get for trying to post without the boss seeing me..... :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

That's what I get for trying to post without the boss seeing me..... :lol:

SWMBO?

Arrived today pleased as punch actually called one right for a change lol. 1950 proof sixpence was just advertised as a normal one. Bargain radar alarm went off. was for pennies so karma has returned am in that happy place once again.

1950.proof.obverse1.jpg

1950.proof.reverse1.jpg

• Like 3

Best put the "box it up and put it all in the loft" thoughts on hold if you're still getting good results ;)