British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

1933.HC-tile.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

couple of bits that needed to be rescued a scarce-ish not darkened 1902 Farthing. Rather nice 1 lovely light patina and a 1933 Half Crown again really nice tone to it 

1902.F-tile.jpg

I believe that HAS been darkened? Seen extensively in the obverse legend and less obviously in the reverse teeth.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 4:02 PM, Paddy said:

Well I have achieved another upgrade to my farthing collection today, so here it is - 1882H 7+F (nothing fancy I think).

1882H F 7+F 1 Red.JPG

1882H F 7+F 2 Red.JPG

Hi there paddy 1882 H used to be a scarce date in EF plus but I think a large number of high grade coins came on the market a few years ago (pos. from a hoard)and its easy to get an A/unc coin for £15 -£20 now .

Yours is however as nice a coin as you will find without lustre , I would grade as EF maybe GEF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

I believe that HAS been darkened? Seen extensively in the obverse legend and less obviously in the reverse teeth.

I had a girlfriend who had darkened teeth.....

• Like 1

i do have a soft spot for these, bearing in mind Ingram coins sold me one of these for £550 and i had a hell of a time getting any of my money back, so i don't think a £20 note for this inc postage is a bad deal, maybe he will give me £300 for it !!!!   anyway it has a nice bit of cameo going on there

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 5

Wow!  What is that exactly?

Do you need special goggles?

Just a few Threepence upgrades for today.

1940 George VI Silver Threepence Rev.jpg1940 George VI Silver Threepence Obv.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 2

Just a few more threepences and a couple of sixpences added to the collection for today.

IMGP6199.JPGIMGP6200.JPGIMGP6201.JPGIMGP6202.JPGIMGP6182.JPGIMGP6183.JPGIMGP6184.JPGIMGP6187.JPGIMGP6180.JPGIMGP6181.JPG

• Like 3

Great 1952 there. I remember a lot at Warwick of Unc 6ds 1937-1967 including the 1952. There didn't appear to be much interest strangely, and I picked up the whole shebang for £47. How much was yours if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Great 1952 there. I remember a lot at Warwick of Unc 6ds 1937-1967 including the 1952. There didn't appear to be much interest strangely, and I picked up the whole shebang for £47. How much was yours if you don't mind me asking?

Hi thanks for the comments. That sounds like a bargain to me. All the later sixpences from 1937 to 1967 I had completed some months ago the only ones I did not have in UNC was the 1941 and the 1952 although the 52 is not quite UNC it was sold to me as AUNC / UNC and feel that was about right. Now the cost was rather more than I wanted to pay. I bit the bullet and shelled out £65 for it. Some may say I have payed too much but I am happy with it and at least I will not have to keep hunting for it now. My net aim is to work back from 1930 to 1900 to fill the gaps I still need to fill on the sixpence collection.

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

...although the 52 is not quite UNC it was sold to me as AUNC / UNC and feel that was about right. Now the cost was rather more than I wanted to pay. I bit the bullet and shelled out £65 for it. Some may say I have payed too much but I am happy with it and at least I will not have to keep hunting for it now. My net aim is to work back from 1930 to 1900 to fill the gaps I still need to fill on the sixpence collection.

I wouldn't say £65 was too much for an all-but-Unc 52 6d. But it's worth paying for those elusive gaps anyway - I paid getting on for £40 (the most I've spent on the series) for a BU 1948 brass 3d, as the lack of a good one was annoying me for years.

31 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I wouldn't say £65 was too much for an all-but-Unc 52 6d.

I agree with you on that one, although like you it was bugging me with what a rang one I had and had to fill the gap. Now it's done and I can move on. I also need to fill a few more gaps 1951 and 1950 proofs also 1948 I can get one for £40 but not sure if this is too much, thinking on that one for now. I also have a 1939 but not sure if it needs to be upgraded what do you think picture below.

1939 George VI Threepence Rev.jpg1939 George VI Threepence Obv.jpg

Would this one suit you better? It is in my spares box - PM an offer if you would like it - does not need to be a big one!

1939 3D 1 red.JPG

1939 3D 2 red.JPG

On 23 March 2018 at 5:05 PM, Paddy said:

Would this one suit you better? It is in my spares box - PM an offer if you would like it - does not need to be a big one!

1939 3D 1 red.JPG

1939 3D 2 red.JPG

If Upinsmoke doesn't take that, I'll have it!

48 minutes ago, Peckris said:

If Upinsmoke doesn't take that, I'll have it!

Sorry - too late! Mick had it. I have more - nearly as good...

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Sorry - too late! Mick had it. I have more - nearly as good...

Mine is definitely UNC but with rather dark and subdued lustre. I wouldn't want one with part lustre?

40 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Mine is definitely UNC but with rather dark and subdued lustre. I wouldn't want one with part lustre?

Apologies for the delay - I have been sorting new purchases most of the day. This is the best of the ones I have left. I also have quite a few other dates, 1937 to 1945 if you need any? PM me if you want this one.

1939 3D 1 Red.JPG

1939 3D 2 Red.JPG

On 21/03/2018 at 10:00 PM, craigy said:

i do have a soft spot for these, bearing in mind Ingram coins sold me one of these for £550 and i had a hell of a time getting any of my money back, so i don't think a £20 note for this inc postage is a bad deal, maybe he will give me £300 for it !!!!   anyway it has a nice bit of cameo going on thereI

Is it a special proof for VIP's? The finish is incredible...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

nobody seems to know, even the Royal Mint museum, same with the 1937 cameos's, no one can say for certain what is vip or standard proof, 

4 hours ago, craigy said:

nobody seems to know, even the Royal Mint museum, same with the 1937 cameos's, no one can say for certain what is vip or standard proof, 

How would you tell? It's a proof, full stop.

• Like 1

Another Threepence won today on eBay. Sellers pictures I will post mine when it arrives.

1902 Toned Threepence.jpg1902 Toned Threepence Obv.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, Peckris said:

I have thirty five (35) 1952 sixpences at least two of which are UNC and very nice. Picked most of them up years ago. They seemed more plentiful then and you don't seem to see them much nowadays. It is hard to get one in really good condition. I did pick up an UNC although with an edge nick in 2013 and that one cost me £50 plus postage, etc. etc..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I have thirty five (35) 1952 sixpences...

10 minutes ago, jaggy said:

...you don't seem to see them much nowadays.

You're the bl**dy reason! :rolleyes: :D

• Like 3

Took a Punt on this seemingly ambiguous 1861 Penny. I noticed when looking at the stock pic glancing at the E in ONE and the E in PENNY backwards and forwards that the bottom serif on the E in ONE was much more Angular like @ 90 degrees where the bottom makes that L shape at the far right tip. If you follow :)

The E in PeNNY has a shallow angle. Anyway I thought well in for a penny and I think I did quite well on calling the difference. It is a repair but they used an upside down F to repair the broken E which is broken from midway between the 2nd and 3rd serifs. It's very clear as you can see from the pics. :) To clarify seeing as I ballsed up what I was trying to say. The E in PENNY has the Repair  

1861.p-vert.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

Where would they get a reversed F punch from? If it was upside down the vertical would be on the right hand side of the character. More likely a broken E punch or an I with the arms entered separately.