British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

3 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The last R of BritanniaR might be worth a closer look too..

Yes I'll do it properly later. was under the influence of meds last night. Madness really never get anything done. Normally wake up look at the screen and say to myself "yes well what are you trying to show me " lol.  Check your 1892 farthings as well 2/1 think I found 1 will post pic later

1887 continues with the somewhat harshly treated 1+A Shilling ( I love the way it photographs though!)

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

1887 continues with the somewhat harshly treated 1+A Shilling ( I love the way it photographs though!)

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

unlike this piece of crap that landed on my doorstep this morning. How on earth they can make a picture look so different is beyond me. Hard to believe it's the same coin

1887hc-tile.jpg

• Like 1

It is quite suprising sometimes just what does get delivered. Yours must have taken some doing to get the decent-ish looking Left image.

Mine looked like it might be OK and actually turned up being better than expected. I hope my run continues, 4 ish more silvers to get, and then I just need some bronze improvers and the gold to complete the "everything from 1887 pile".

I know that this will probably never get finished after seeing the 5 Pounds earlier!

Just now, Unwilling Numismatist said:

It is quite suprising sometimes just what does get delivered. Yours must have taken some doing to get the decent-ish looking Left image.

Mine looked like it might be OK and actually turned up being better than expected. I hope my run continues, 4 ish more silvers to get, and then I just need some bronze improvers and the gold to complete the "everything* from 1887 pile".

I know that this will probably never get finished after seeing the 5 Pounds earlier!

*including variants.

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

unlike this piece of crap that landed on my doorstep this morning. How on earth they can make a picture look so different is beyond me. Hard to believe it's the same coin

1887hc-tile.jpg

My take is that it's NOT the same coin and you'd be justified in returning it on those grounds. There are many many signs that get my suspicions going, but here's just three:

1. the teeth on the right coin (from the V anti-clockwise to the left hand edge of the bust) are thin compared to the greater wear on the left hand coin

2. the totally different style of the JEB - particularly the E which is curved like a reversed 3 on the left, and a normal E on the right, sloping to the right 

3. the upper knot on the pendant ribbon has a complete incuse line on the right, which  can barely be seen at all on the left.

Add to that the scratch on the last A of GRATIA (not present on the left), and a faint doubling of the ear lobe on the right, and I'd say you've been the victim of possible malpractice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peckris said:

My take is that it's NOT the same coin and you'd be justified in returning it on those grounds. There are many many signs that get my suspicions going, but here's just three:

1. the teeth on the right coin (from the V anti-clockwise to the left hand edge of the bust) are thin compared to the greater wear on the left hand coin

2. the totally different style of the JEB - particularly the E which is curved like a reversed 3 on the left, and a normal E on the right, sloping to the right 

3. the upper knot on the pendant ribbon has a complete incuse line on the right, which  can barely be seen at all on the left.

Add to that the scratch on the last A of GRATIA (not present on the left), and a faint doubling of the ear lobe on the right, and I'd say you've been the victim of possible malpractice.

I'd say same coin but left image has been cleaned up with photoshop. The mark between the crown and DEI suggests same coin. There's another scratch under the OR of VICTORIA that is on both. However, the scratch under VI of VICTORIA is completely missing on the left image. I'd be looking to send it back either way. :(

Yep, lighting angle different, but some matching scratches.

Same coin. Scratches can be surprisingly 2D sometimes,

and changing the light angle can make them vanish.....

9 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Yep, lighting angle different, but some matching scratches.

Same coin. Scratches can be surprisingly 2D sometimes,

and changing the light angle can make them vanish.....

yes defo same coin but also I believe its been photoshopped as well those scratches to the left are hardly hairline but on his pic the do not show at all nor does the rim edges. In fact it evident the pic has been altered. The coin has been polished. Although I am really annoyed at the ambiguity of the coin conditions there are 52 coins in the lot and @ £54 it's not the end of the world there are some nice coins even if not scarce. Like a VF 1949 brass threepence. UNC george V farthings 1918 - 1923 -1934  1920 half penny UNC . Just bites that the star of the lot was hardly a star not even a glimmer :(

5 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

yes defo same coin but also I believe its been photoshopped as well those scratches to the left are hardly hairline but on his pic the do not show at all nor does the rim edges. In fact it evident the pic has been altered. The coin has been polished. Although I am really annoyed at the ambiguity of the coin conditions there are 52 coins in the lot and @ £54 it's not the end of the world there are some nice coins even if not scarce. Like a VF 1949 brass threepence. UNC george V farthings 1918 - 1923 -1934  1920 half penny UNC . Just bites that the star of the lot was hardly a star not even a glimmer :(

Try to negotiate a partial refund?

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Try to negotiate a partial refund?

It's not worth the effort. Looks like it will be the end of buying online for sure. Will have to go to auctions myself at least I can purchase confident as I would see the coins close up and personal. Too many shisters out there in the marketplace who just scam over and over again. Lost faith I don't trust any of them.

Surely at 52 coins for £54 it is hardly a case of being ripped off as the illustrated coin plus the 1949 3d, the unc 1920 halfpenny and the three unc farthings have to be worth the £50 you paid. Rhetorical question, but are you not happy at having effectively received 46 coins for free? eBay has always been like that. Many buyers get a bargain, many buyers pay too much, many sellers get ripped off, but most people are happy with what they receive. People have always lied, shilled, photoshopped, 'lost' things, shipped different items to those illustrated etc.The real problem is that buyers' expectations have been massaged down in terms of what they expect to receive and by extension to pay. If one person pays a quid, then all expect to pay a quid. It goes without saying that many expect the item received to be worth more than they paid, considerably so in some cases.

The wife had someone the other day from Belarus. P&P to the UK was £3, but for some reason, he seemed to think that international shipping benefited from free postage. So he bought something for three quid expecting it to be delivered for free! The postage was more than 4 quid. Idiot.

3 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

What's the reverse of that halfcrown like anyway ?

same. 

5 hours ago, Rob said:

Surely at 52 coins for £54 it is hardly a case of being ripped off as the illustrated coin plus the 1949 3d, the unc 1920 halfpenny and the three unc farthings have to be worth the £50 you paid. Rhetorical question, but are you not happy at having effectively received 46 coins for free? eBay has always been like that. Many buyers get a bargain, many buyers pay too much, many sellers get ripped off, but most people are happy with what they receive. People have always lied, shilled, photoshopped, 'lost' things, shipped different items to those illustrated etc.The real problem is that buyers' expectations have been massaged down in terms of what they expect to receive and by extension to pay. If one person pays a quid, then all expect to pay a quid. It goes without saying that many expect the item received to be worth more than they paid, considerably so in some cases.

The wife had someone the other day from Belarus. P&P to the UK was £3, but for some reason, he seemed to think that international shipping benefited from free postage. So he bought something for three quid expecting it to be delivered for free! The postage was more than 4 quid. Idiot.

There were coins mostly of nothing grades like fine and good fine with the obligatory 1966 and 67 pennies. I bid for the lot as I was willing to get stuck with more dross as the 1887 half-crown would of been worth it along with a few other coins. But that's not the point. The point is the deception. I wouldn't do it so nobody else should do it. tell me the bloody coins been polished to death in the description I still have the choice knowing the exact state of the coins weather I am going to bid. He is on the blacklist and will not be getting any business from me in the future. Just the fact that it really feels like everyone and his granny is a thief or a scammer. I used to just deal with a few international guys who were great but sadly no longer with us and the crap I see being peddled by so called reputable dealers is just laughable. 

• Like 1

I'll post this here seeing as my original thread got ganked by a business tout :)

I only know of 1 other that is because I owned it. But sold it on a few years back. Been actively searching for another in a really nice grade but alas so far have not found any and this one is the only one I have found in the few years gap. Unlisted variety and should really be confirmed as I owned this and 1 other. Obviously quite rare 1826 Half Penny with Roman I for 1 :)

1826.I.HP-horz.jpg

• Like 2

On 01/03/2018 at 0:46 AM, zookeeperz said:

same. 

I was kinda hinting for an image .. I like to compare the crap I buy with what other people buy.

Sometimes it makes me feel a little better about what actually turns up :)

Other times it reminds me to aim a little higher when it should be an easily obtainable coin....

Well I have achieved another upgrade to my farthing collection today, so here it is - 1882H 7+F (nothing fancy I think).

1882H F 7+F 1 Red.JPG

1882H F 7+F 2 Red.JPG

• Like 5

New addition to my Short cross collection.  Cheap at £40 inc p&p from California 😃

King John 

Class 5c - Struck roughly 1206 - 07 AD. 

Moneyer Beneit at London mint. 

JointPics_20180316_175102.JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I was kinda hinting for an image .. I like to compare the crap I buy with what other people buy.

Sometimes it makes me feel a little better about what actually turns up :)

Other times it reminds me to aim a little higher when it should be an easily obtainable coin....

sorry its a crap pic but its from webcam actually it looks better than the coin lols :)

1887hcr.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 2

Thanks Zoo.

Unfortunatey I fell somewhat better about my 20 quid HC now. From your pic it looks better than the obverse at least :)

@Ukstu thats not a bad shortcross, it's done a few miles to get there and back :)

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thanks Zoo.

Unfortunatey I fell somewhat better about my 20 quid HC now. From your pic it looks better than the obverse at least :)

@Ukstu thats not a bad shortcross, it's done a few miles to get there and back :)

It has i know lol. I thought that. It's more well travelled than me 😁. It's better to be repatriated than deported 😅. 

• Like 2

couple of bits that needed to be rescued a scarce-ish not darkened 1902 Farthing. Rather nice 1 lovely light patina and a 1933 Half Crown again really nice tone to it 

1902.F-tile.jpg