British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

13 minutes ago, Paulus said:

These are so common in high grade that you should be able to pick up a better one for under a tenner, based on those pics - sorry! At least it wasn't a big purchase!

Thanks for feedback, where the hell do you find them for under a Tenner. I cannot find one at that price. To be honest the coin looks better in hand than in the photo, I will have to try and take better photo;s with a daylight lamp would help I think.

I don't know about the right price, but GEF seems very optimistic. The English lions faces are quite worn out, so are the fleurs de lis around the Scottish lion, the oval brooch, etc.

I would expect to pay at least £20 for a clear EF, £10 seems very challenging!

8 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks for feedback, where the hell do you find them for under a Tenner. I cannot find one at that price. To be honest the coin looks better in hand than in the photo, I will have to try and take better photo;s with a daylight lamp would help I think.

Ebay, if you're patient and invest the time! Maybe it's the pics, but I would at least expect the lions to have faces! @Nonmortuus

Edited by Paulus

40 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I think Paulus tagged me as I picked up an 1887 in a similar grade yesterday for £2.50. I Have not taken proper photos yet but will try to upload them ones from my phone.

Do you agree with that grading?

You can distinguish the face from the mane and there is a hint of the eyes and their jaws, but as you say there is wear on their faces and also at the upper side of the buckle and lower shield edge. EF+?

A lot to learn in this department for me....

At the minute I'm on my iPhone as my MacBook and ipad have both gone pear shaped so can't comment, I just linked a CGS graded UNC with the lions faces obliterated which would mean that this point of wear shouldn't be taken at face value because there was millions minted from the dies which would be obviously disintegrate over time...

My latest arrived today 1935 Crown pleased with it. I graded this as EF your views on grade please. I helps me to see if I am getting it right. I don't think its too bad for the price of £15. These are not my pictures do you think these are scanned if so I may try this myself if I can ever get my printer to comply:wacko:

1935 Crown Reverse.jpg1935 Crown Obverse.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Maybe it is old age or I don't know enough about silver but the 1887 crown has been hairlined cleaned to death.Can't be having that. It would get a 1 iron off a tee made from a melted down open 3 1903 1d.

My latest arrived today 1935 Crown pleased with it. I graded this as EF your views on grade please. 

I agree, EF based on wear

I note a knock on the edge, in front of the King's head, maybe that will demote it

It is a beautiful design though, one of my favourites, and one of the first British coins I bought!

On 8/16/2016 at 9:34 PM, Paulus said:

This is my best so far, looking for better (graded as aUNC by a TPG who's name I can't mention for fear of psychological consequences)

1899_cr_lxii_02_01_cgs__uin_36860_1300.p

Well if you get a better one think of me for this one please. 

yummy coin! the 1887

1899 looks to have a few light edge bumps still nice though

Edited by copper123

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Maybe it is old age or I don't know enough about silver but the 1887 crown has been hairlined cleaned to death.Can't be having that. It would get a 1 iron off a tee made from a melted down open 3 1903 1d.

Its old age I think.:D Chill out man, this was the best 1887 Crown I could find at the time. In hand you hardly see the hairlines. Maybe its my eyesight ;) To be honest if I had endless amounts of money I would buy better, but only on a pension which is not a lot:( So will not eat this week after this purchase. Still I am happy with it and that is all that matters. :P

Edited by UPINSMOKE

25 minutes ago, Leo said:

I note a knock on the edge, in front of the King's head, maybe that will demote it

That's fine I can file that out with emery paper and a buffer. :wacko::D

Like the rest of Eastbourne then LOL.

Bet you will not find many Black sabath loving pentioners though

7 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Like the rest of Eastbourne then LOL.

Bet you will not find many Black sabath loving pentioners though

I can't help it that I live in the the Pensioner Capital of the world:D  But you right about not many will love Black Sabbath their loss in my opinion. 

I think you've done well with your 1935 Crown.  Better than I did for a coin from a dealer graded GEF but probably similar to yours in reality :)

Q%20Crown%201935%20Obverse_zpscn99jfng.j

Q%20Crown%201935%20Reverse_zps7rsxz7x9.j

£24 delivered.

6 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest arrived today 1935 Crown pleased with it. I graded this as EF your views on grade please. I helps me to see if I am getting it right. I don't think its too bad for the price of £15. These are not my pictures do you think these are scanned if so I may try this myself if I can ever get my printer to comply:wacko:

1935 Crown Reverse.jpg1935 Crown Obverse.jpg

That's a nice crown, especially the reverse.  It looks as if it may have started out as a specimen.  Either that or a very early strike.

NEF for me, edge knock at 10 o'clock on the OBV, slight hair wear, most of it's problems are on the OBV

4 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Its old age I think.:D Chill out man, this was the best 1887 Crown I could find at the time. In hand you hardly see the hairlines. Maybe its my eyesight ;) To be honest if I had endless amounts of money I would buy better, but only on a pension which is not a lot:( So will not eat this week after this purchase. Still I am happy with it and that is all that matters. :P

Maybe it is old age or I don't know enough about silver but the 1887 crown has been hairlined cleaned to death.Can't be having that. It would get a 1 iron off a tee made from a melted down open 3 1903 1d. Apologies for the double post....hope it doesn't wear you down :=)

Dave (Azda) has mentioned the 35. Edge knocks kill.....it would be the 2nd one off my 1903 open 3 tee.

Edited by Peter

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

Maybe it is old age or I don't know enough about silver but the 1887 crown has been hairlined cleaned to death.Can't be having that. It would get a 1 iron off a tee made from a melted down open 3 1903 1d. Apologies for the double post....hope it doesn't wear you down :=)

Dave (Azda) has mentioned the 35. Edge knocks kill.....it would be the 2nd one off my 1903 open 3 tee.

Looks like its back to the drawing board again. I can't seem to get anything right perhaps collecting coins isn't for me. :(:( 

31 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Looks like its back to the drawing board again. I can't seem to get anything right perhaps collecting coins isn't for me. :(:( 

No, you're getting there for sure! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Just take your time, don't trust the sellers grading and don't rush a buy until your confident its a keeper :). As others have said go over the pictures a few times making sure you are happy before you make a bid/commit to buy.

• Like 1