British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

Yeah, I see it in Britannia's robe. It's tiny though.

I have read some members of the forum mention an American product that seems to be effective but can't remember its name now

LCGS won't slab a verd coin, a few here have had them returned, save your slabbing money and look for another, here's one i just found

Screenshot 2016-12-27 07.44.00.png

Edited by azda

5 hours ago, Leo said:

Yeah, I see it in Britannia's robe. It's tiny though.

I have read some members of the forum mention an American product that seems to be effective but can't remember its name now

Verdicare

7 hours ago, azda said:

Verdicare

Any Idea's where and who to buy from. Any links to a website would help, or can I get this in the UK?

For a tiny spot verdicare seems a bit drastic IMO.

Plenty Ebay sellers have it listed :)

Edited by PWA 1967

4 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Any Idea's where and who to buy from. Any links to a website would help, or can I get this in the UK?

Am sure someone on here bought it recently

Are you sure that it wont lift off with a cocktail stick? Not all that's green is verdigris, a lot is that waxy stuff that comes off quite easily (try a drop of petrol, it wont mark the coin) leaving the metal surface undamaged. If it is true verdigris, then appropriate spot treatment with a drop of verdicare can certainly do the job, but as I have stressed before I find really strong magnification and careful 'picking' of the verd after a soak is what really makes the difference. 

I always do remove verdigris where possible (if I feel I have to buy an example despite it, or more likely if I find a tiny spot I had not previously noticed on the coin) as effectively it is 'bronze disease' and is likely to deteriorate with loss of metal over time.

If any member does trust me to look at a coin FOC, I would happily do so. I do have the kit, and the microscopes. I have certainly been pleased with the results on my own coins. You can always pm me.

Jerry

35 minutes ago, jelida said:

Are you sure that it wont lift off with a cocktail stick? Not all that's green is verdigris, a lot is that waxy stuff that comes off quite easily (try a drop of petrol, it wont mark the coin) leaving the metal surface undamaged. If it is true verdigris, then appropriate spot treatment with a drop of verdicare can certainly do the job, but as I have stressed before I find really strong magnification and careful 'picking' of the verd after a soak is what really makes the difference. 

I always do remove verdigris where possible (if I feel I have to buy an example despite it, or more likely if I find a tiny spot I had not previously noticed on the coin) as effectively it is 'bronze disease' and is likely to deteriorate with loss of metal over time.

If any member does trust me to look at a coin FOC, I would happily do so. I do have the kit, and the microscopes. I have certainly been pleased with the results on my own coins. You can always pm me.

Jerry

This is the coin in question what do you think?

1888 Halfpenny with Verd Obv.jpg1888 Halfpenny with Verd Rev.jpg

I think will improve a lot. Looks very removable from the photos. Doesnt look like established verd. But can only be sure under the microscope.

Jerry

Think in MIcks specific requirements ....will it still slab.

Its not what most collectors would be happy with or in Micks case weather CGS would still reject it.

I remember you bought a 1862 Half penny date you were going to work at from the Copthorne Collection.

Did you ever do anything or left it as it was Jerry ?.

I know your the expert (always read your opinions) and for that reason would love to see a picture.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Think in MIcks specific requirements ....will it still slab.

Its not what most collectors would be happy with or in Micks case weather CGS would still reject it.

I remember you bought a 1862 Half penny date you were going to work at from the Copthorne Collection.

Did you ever do anything or left it as it was Jerry ?.

I know your the expert (always read your opinions) and for that reason would love to see a picture.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

the Copthorne F41 came up quite well, at least the verd is gone, but not of course the loss of metal and I wouldn't dream of slabbing it. I wish I'd taken 'before and afters' of other coins, but its usually just a tiny spot, I would never normally buy as corroded a coin as the F41.

Jerry

Copthorne F41.jpg

1862 F41 rev halfpenny numbers.jpg

1862 F41 obv halfpenny numbers.jpg

• Like 1

And as to whether Micks coin would slab, it depends whether any mark is left. I wouldn't be surprised if what we see there dissolved in petrol, DMSO or some other organic solvent. If so it would leave no mark. But if true verd, a mark would be left because of the loss of metal. Could only get an idea on the bench under the 'scope.

Jerry

15 hours ago, jelida said:

And as to whether Micks coin would slab, it depends whether any mark is left. I wouldn't be surprised if what we see there dissolved in petrol, DMSO or some other organic solvent. If so it would leave no mark. But if true verd, a mark would be left because of the loss of metal. Could only get an idea on the bench under the 'scope.

Jerry

As an afterthought from reading your post.

Just because the verd is removed CGS will still reject for cleaning and corrosion.

Although you have know interest its not just a case of we cant see the verd so know its ok.

Its not just about marks but the tell tale signs under different light of chemicals/ work done.

I can assure you they dont just look at a coin in hand .

This post is probably more for Mick :) 

As has obvious signs of being cleaned.

Edited by PWA 1967

Well here are the results of a little TLC on the 1888 Halfpenny below.

161228143144820.jpg161228143222244.jpg

• Like 5

Excellent, Mick, I cant see any problem with that. Just take a cocktail stick to the very top of the second eight now........

What did you use?

Jerry

Honesty and good will are about here to help newbies send a mid grade coin for slabbing.Why just Why?If the 1899 gets more than VF i will fecking stop collecting unless CGS or what ever their name slab it for themselves.A disguraise.

2 hours ago, jelida said:

Excellent, Mick, I cant see any problem with that. Just take a cocktail stick to the very top of the second eight now........

What did you use?

Jerry

Hi Jerry thanks for the comment and pointing out about the second 8 I have now done that. I just used a slall amount of acetone and a Q Tip and just rubbed it gently it worked well. Well pleased with the results.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Honesty and good will are about here to help newbies send a mid grade coin for slabbing.Why just Why?If the 1899 gets more than VF i will fecking stop collecting unless CGS or what ever their name slab it for themselves.A disguraise.

Peter ...take a minute,the guy has explained why he wants a 1888 set.

Most ,such as ones i have sold you can pick up already slabbed cheap :)

I used to buy loads already slabbed for less than the slabbing fee.

You need to remember not everyone is an expert and some coins are easier to sell after the £15 slabbing fee.

Alternatively i recently paid £20 for a 1961 penny as had a gap.

Am i a mug.....Probably.

Am i stuck for £20......not if it helps me compleat a slabbed date run :P

Lots of people want different things ,some want modern decimals and some lunatics collect farthings :lol:

I would never advise someone to send a coin for slabbing thats upto them.

Although i recently had one slabbed i paid £4 for off ebay although they say £375.

I am not saying its worth £375 but think the slabbing fee was worth paying.

Got to spend the time and look at what is worth slabbing and whats not.

Some coins (pennies) i can sell at a big premium ,but have spent hours looking at prices.

Worst case senario i seem to get my money back if already in plastic.

Chill out ......you dont send them ,but dont be blinkered as there is benefits :)

The big plus is some pennies in a slab are way to cheap and worth more broken out........but thats another thread :)

Alternatively the ones that are expensive , i dont have a problem selling for more than i paid for them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why just Why?If the 1899 gets more than VF i will fecking stop collecting unless CGS or what ever their name slab it for themselves.A disguraise.

Hi Pete again as I have said before I have some of my coins slabbed because that how I like to display them. I only as yet have slab complete sets a 1951 set as this is the year I was born and my 1899 set the date my Grandmother was born.

So there you have it, I choose sets that mean something personal too me. The 1888 set is not personal but is a date from History that appeals too me. Oh and by the way its 1888 not 1899 unless you meant the 1899 Farthing previously mentioned in another thread.

2 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Well pleased with the results.  

And so you should be. It looks a nice coin to me, and I don't see it giving CGS any problems from the photos. Do let us know the outcome.

Jerry

Pete keep your vastly over priced slab shite.This Leopard will not be changing his M&S underpants.

On 12/28/2016 at 0:14 AM, jelida said:

Hi Pete,

the Copthorne F41 came up quite well, at least the verd is gone, but not of course the loss of metal and I wouldn't dream of slabbing it. I wish I'd taken 'before and afters' of other coins, but its usually just a tiny spot, I would never normally buy as corroded a coin as the F41.

Jerry

Copthorne F41.jpg

1862 F41 rev halfpenny numbers.jpg

1862 F41 obv halfpenny numbers.jpg

Jerry, that's a big improvement. I wonder what Steve would make of it? 

18 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Well here are the results of a little TLC on the 1888 Halfpenny below.

161228143144820.jpg161228143222244.jpg

Nice one Mick, you've done a great job.