British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

There is some lovely toning going on there. I bet in the hand they look even better. If I had to choose one it would be the 3d

• Like 1

A nice mix of toning on all of them :) Think I'd agree with Ian, 3d does it for me.

On 8/18/2016 at 3:38 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest arrived today 1935 Crown pleased with it. I graded this as EF your views on grade please. I helps me to see if I am getting it right. I don't think its too bad for the price of £15. These are not my pictures do you think these are scanned if so I may try this myself if I can ever get my printer to comply:wacko:

1935 Crown Reverse.jpg1935 Crown Obverse.jpg

I didn't have an example of this so tried to pick one up relatively cheaply. This is what I got. The pic doesn't show it but it has a nice even mauve tone in hand. It was sub £12 so, for now, it will do.

1935-crown.jpg

15 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

At long last the final few coins from my 1899 set the Maundy coins thanks to @Colin G. for supplying them for me.all have been entombed and graded. Let here what you think guy please.

I would be interested to know these...I always feel a bit less confident grading silver coins...especially these little ones

At a guess and i have a few as the year my dad was born.

Top one A/UNc

One below Very fine at best  due to the reverse.

I have some really nice ones and Specimens of this date but a standard one MINT £30 ish so not expensive.

54 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

At a guess and i have a few as the year my dad was born.

Top one A/UNc

One below Very fine at best  due to the reverse.

I have some really nice ones and Specimens of this date but a standard one MINT £30 ish so not expensive.

Ah if it is VF at best then I certainly overpaid :( 

40 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

They are all UNC (or close to) for me.  A little friction on the highest points of the 1 and 2.

42 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I have been wrong before but should have more detail IMO to the reverse if you compare the two pictures .

Not expensive anyway but plenty really nice ones about :)

Not going on about grading but the detail to the horses tail, the shield and leg does not put it near UNC IMO.

7 hours ago, Colin G. said:

I would be interested to know these...I always feel a bit less confident grading silver coins...especially these little ones

Hi Colin,

@Colin G. The grading for the Maundy is as follows:

1d is CGS 85 joint finest known,

2d is CGS  85 Finest Known does not mean much though as its the only one they have slabbed,

3d is CGS 80,

4d CGS 78

Really pleased with them. :D So thanks again Colin for the opportunity to buy these.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Was the turnaround the same about five weeks Mick :)

Hi these were with the last coins submitted for me. And so yes around 5 - 6 weeks:)

14 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi Colin,

@Colin G. The grading for the Maundy is as follows:

1d is CGS 85 joint finest known,

2d is CGS  85 Finest Known does not mean much though as its the only one they have slabbed,

3d is CGS 80,

4d CGS 78

Really pleased with them. :D So thanks again Colin for the opportunity to buy these.

Mick,

Thanks for sharing...appreciated.

Just thought I would add my latest 1888 addition to the collection for your comments. Sorry for the difference in colour its my photo's the reverse is as the obverse in colour I just cannot get my photo's quite right every time.

1888 Victorian Penny Obv1.jpg1888 Victorian Penny Rev1.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely coin Mick :) 

Here are original pictures of the 1888 Penny they are better than mine foe a comparison.

Vic Penny eBay 1888.jpg

5 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Lovely coin Mick :) 

Thank you I am pleased with it.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Here are original pictures of the 1888 Penny they are better than mine foe a comparison.

Vic Penny eBay 1888.jpg

Thank you I am pleased with it.:)

Good one Mick, what gaps do you have left for 1888?

14 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Good one Mick, what gaps do you have left for 1888?

Thanks Paul I am pleased with it. I still need to find a 1888 Halfpenny, Silver Threepence, Florin, Double Florin, and Crown. So quite a few gap to fill. I do have the 1888/7 Shilling so not sure If I need to look for another 1888 Shilling. I have just filled the gap for the 1888 Farthing pictures below. 

Victorian Farthing eBay 1888.jpg

• Like 1

Nice 1888 there.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2016 at 11:48 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

I still need to find a 1888 Halfpenny, Silver Threepence, Florin, Double Florin, and Crown. So quite a few gap to fill.

I've got a couple of 1888 halfpennies, just shy of unc if interested.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

I've got a couple of 1888 halfpennies, just shy of unc if interested.

Thanks Rob will be in touch.

1888 is a scarcer date farthing in that grade but 1886 is very common  due to a high mintage and a hoard found a few years back

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

1888 is a scarcer date farthing in that grade but 1886 is very common  due to a high mintage and a hoard found a few years back

Thanks for the info I did not realise that:)

My latest for the 1888 set the Halfpenny. I am not sure about this. It does seem to have slight verdigris does not show in the pictures. I not sure how to treat it either as I have never had to do it before. It is the best I could find at the time. What do you think please. I want to get it slabbed with the set, but am sure the verdigris will effect this.

IMGP3228.JPGIMGP3227.JPG