British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

Arrived today nice 1862 6+G Penny and 1926 OE Sixpence:)

1862-tile.jpg

1926.obverse-tile.jpg

• Like 5

I don't touch coins . It's au naturale ;) 

• Like 1

A few landed from croatia this morning and 1 i spotted on the bay of all places lol. another 1926OE sixpence. Accidental purchase forgot I had the other 1 or it was more than likely to cheap to pass on:lol:.  1719 Farthing cleaned at some point in its lifetime unlisted legend error still trying to work out what is exactly but if looks like a A struck over a rotated F@ 90 degrees clockwise or it could be an N. Pretty sure the T is struck over Rotated T 180 degrees so possibly can classed as rare? and my 1 ebay find which although not impossible to find as a variety in high grades they are not a common coin 1915 recessed ear Penny and my eyes nearly burst trying to decide from the crappy stock pick if it was one or not.:P I am siding more towards an A/N as the F still leaves metal I can't place anywhere. whereas the N not that its bang inline but what is left would be what the A should look like.? Your comments and thoughts welcome as always gents :) 

1719-horz.jpg

1719-tile-vert.jpg

1719AN-tile.jpg

1926OE-horz.jpg

1915.recessed.ear-horz.jpg

1915.recessed ear.toth.marker.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

The A is more likely the crossbar. We are still in the period when the V punch covered both V & A, with the crossbar added when required.

At last found a decent 1948 Brass Threepence for the collection at a fair price as well. Another gap filled.

1948 George VI Threepence Rev 400.jpg1948 George VI Threepence Obv 400.jpg

• Like 5

See what you done you started me back on my unfinished project :lol:. I saw this so I bought it. I doubt I will ever get 1 this cheap again 1946 . So now only a few more to go  . i'll get a better pic when it arrives.

1946.3.pence.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 2

On 05/06/2018 at 8:50 PM, Peckris said:

I wonder if that's what it really is? I only ask because the 'curve back' (which is clearly there) is extremely thin, which could be a die crack between the strong downstrokes of the R. If you look carefully, there's a similar thin 'connecting rod' at the bottom of the adjacent A.

look like a die crack to me as well

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

At last found a decent 1948 Brass Threepence for the collection at a fair price as well. Another gap filled.

1948 George VI Threepence Rev 400.jpg1948 George VI Threepence Obv 400.jpg

Yes, I was casually looking for ages for one of these, and got a BU example on eBay for - IIRC - £36. Bit pricy but they're hard to find.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 11:18 PM, Peckris said:

Yes, I was casually looking for ages for one of these, and got a BU example on eBay for - IIRC - £36. Bit pricy but they're hard to find.

yes they are very difficult to locate. Always have either carbon deposits or that solitary verdi spot.  Arrived this morning 

1946.Brass.obverse.pcgsms63.jpg

1946.Brass.reverse.pcgsms63.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

yes they are very difficult to locate. Always have either carbon deposits or that solitary verdi spot.  Arrived this morning 

1946.Brass.obverse.pcgsms63.jpg

1946.Brass.reverse.pcgsms63.jpg

Nice one Richard.

• Like 1

Yes, indeed. I like it as well. Funny thing, these '46s and '49s seem to be around in some number and surprised the price has remained what it has on them. IMO, the above 1948 is also a nice coin (and possibly almost as scarce in nice condition).

Nice work, fellas!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, indeed. I like it as well. Funny thing, these '46s and '49s seem to be around in some number and surprised the price has remained what it has on them. IMO, the above 1948 is also a nice coin (and possibly almost as scarce in nice condition).

Nice work, fellas!

I think it's because the 46 and 49 were struck for the West Indies, and eventually brought back in large numbers for collectors. By the time the coin world cottoned on, the 46s had already circulated for a while which is why - though a larger strike than the 49 - they're harder to find in decent nick.

The 48 was a relatively small mintage for British use, and effectively the only issue between 1945 and the scarce issues of 50 and 51. So although not hard to find in ordinary condition, they're the devil's own job to get in top grade.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, Peckris said:

They are very hard to find in top drawer condition. I got mine in a partially completed Whitman Folder of threepenny bits, predominantly worn specimens, apart from the 1960's, but with this really nice 1948. Not, however, as nice as Mick's.

Never realised before that the 1946 and 1949, were specifically minted for the West Indies, so thanks for the info. Knew the 1950 and 51 pennies were.  

AF1QipMhwM1mTXiiPyww5izqiwLIlXmXx37Fae58    AF1QipNecSo9dtABx4cLuUFu7kNi7Raijo35djGp

• Like 1

1942-44 silver 3ds were colonial as well.I'm sure enterprising dealers filled their socks post WW 11.

8 hours ago, Peter said:

1942-44 silver 3ds were colonial as well.I'm sure enterprising dealers filled their socks post WW 11.

Not nearly as rare as they were considered to be in the 60s. And they probably all got saved and escaped the Great Silver 3d Meltdown.

Just added this to the collection. Not hard to find but with a better strike than usually found I think. Am I right in thinking that the 1903 - 1907 threepences are harder to find in top condition?

1339611355_1910EdwardVIIThreepenceRev500.jpg.6358c75ceafb27e2d9dfa054bbb02f88.jpg59580365_1910EdwardVIIThreepenceObv500.jpg.c0260093bd0a4a901a11addd43cb70c9.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Am I right in thinking that the 1903 - 1907 threepences are harder to find in top condition?

Yep.  Especially 1904, 1905 and 1906.

• Thanks 1