British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Best put the "box it up and put it all in the loft" thoughts on hold if you're still getting good results ;)

No no still going in there. I still have stragglers waiting to come from abroad. Sadly most go back. I don't know what it is with these europeans they will polish and clean absolutely everything. I have even on one occasion not bothered opening the letter as I could already smell the duraglit when the posty handed it over lols :D waiting for a real lowball penny that might be an F14 and a half penny unlisted 1737/5. But I doubt i'll be able to refrain from the odd speculative purchase:lol:

• Like 1

Arrived this morning 1837 Fourpence R/B on REX

1837.groat.obv.roverbinrex.jpg

• Like 2

1837.groat.rev.roverbinrex.jpg

• Like 1

better pic 

1837groatobv-horz.jpg

• Like 1

1837rex.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Nice R/B there Zoo!

yes really lucky on this I originally bought it because I thought it was first I over I sideways in IIII but not so sure . I can't get the right light to show it. Looked more obvious from online but because there is die break it's kind of masking what it is. Gladly take the former ;) 

My latest unofficial farthings. The two with tickets are from the Cockanye collection, which was bought by Baldwins around 1946. Are the tickets worthy of the 'ticket central' thread with them being tokens rather than coins?

IMGP3928 (2).JPG

IMGP3929 (2).JPG

• Like 5

Love those.

My dad was from Scotland Rd.

16 hours ago, will1976 said:

My latest unofficial farthings. The two with tickets are from the Cockanye collection, which was bought by Baldwins around 1946. Are the tickets worthy of the 'ticket central' thread with them being tokens rather than coins?

Was that a member of the same tribe that Spike Milligan reported on?

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes

Images added

5 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Love those.

My dad was from Scotland Rd.

It took me along time to settle on collecting one theme until I stumbled across one of these in a second hand shop for a fiver, I now have around a hundred and fifty. It fascinates me all the different trades that are depicted on them from schools, engineers, post offices and port supplies. Some are common, some are really quite rare and it's always nice to get a local one

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Was that a member of the same tribe that Spike Milligan reported on?

I have absolutely no idea!

On a more positive note after the £2 debarckle A very smart 1862 Half Penny 

1862.obverse3.jpg

1862reverse3.jpg

• Like 3

Today's acquisition. An early milled penny from the reign of Charles II.

Charles II penny, observe.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, will1976 said:

I have absolutely no idea!

• Like 2

Took a punt thought I saw something and it turned out to be a new variety type on this coin series. 1835 farthing GRBATIA R/B error nice sound to it almost Jamaican-esq  GRBATIA Man :lol:

1835.GBRATIA-tile.jpg

1835.GBRATIA.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if that's what it really is? I only ask because the 'curve back' (which is clearly there) is extremely thin, which could be a die crack between the strong downstrokes of the R. If you look carefully, there's a similar thin 'connecting rod' at the bottom of the adjacent A.

My latest addition not the most valuable coin in the world but nice strike and the pics are all various lightings the first is the digi light and one lamp but with auto correction. Always makes it a few shades darker for my liking. 2nd pic is exactly the same but no auto correction and there is quite a difference. Last is my standard set up with 2 lamps and the digi lamp which is almost bang on what the coin looks in the hand. This is the hardest to get right lol

1912-tile.jpg

• Like 5

Nice. I've always liked the first type 1911-13 better than the 1913-21 type. A well struck up example is a handsome coin though worn ones have shocking reverses due to the virtually non-existent rim.

• Like 1

Another 2 just off the boat from somewhere I couldn't even pronounce lol . I mean for 8 euro 10 inc postage it would of been rude not to :) 

1825-horz.jpg

1835-horz.jpg

This lot was 12 euro inc postage. Nothing really outstanding but they fill a gap for now . I need to go back and look at the 1917 threepence as It looks like an overstrike 7/2  ans the 9 looks like it has been struck over a rotated 1.:P notice 1914 misaligned date . I know same 1916 picture. thumbs are so bloody small lol

1914-tile.jpg

1916-horz-vert.jpg

1914-horz.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

1916-horz.jpg