British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Where would they get a reversed F punch from? If it was upside down the vertical would be on the right hand side of the character. More likely a broken E punch or an I with the arms entered separately.

Yes, it’s a repaired E, but not with an upside-down ‘F’ as it would have to be a mirror image punch.

Jerry

oops Rob just posted the same point, but much more succinctly.

Edited by jelida
Addn

Just now, Rob said:

Where would they get a reversed F punch from? If it was upside down the vertical would be on the right hand side of the character. More likely a broken E punch or an I with the arms entered separately.

why would they be on the right? its not inverted only upside down same as if you flip and e it still an E

1 minute ago, zookeeperz said:

why would they be on the right? its not inverted only upside down same as if you flip and e it still an E

The figure you have drawn in yellow is not an ‘F’ but it’s mirror image. It is unlikely they would ever have needed such a punch as when they were repairing an incuse letter on the die they could just have used an ‘E’ punch or an ‘L’ as Gouby describes where appropriate.

Jerry

• Like 1

Because to invert the punch you would have to use the other side, i.e. the bit you hit with a hammer, so the repair would probably be a round or square blob a few mm in diameter depending on what it looks like - I don't know. It is pretty certain not to have an engraved inverted E on the bit you hit. If you rotate the working end it would place the bar on the right

• Like 1

Another little gem didn't see anything originally as the pic was so poor but a scarcer date 1849 so as it was for pennies I bought it and it turned out to be a very interesting little Farthing indeed. Stop before C of VICTORIA 4 over lower 4 not sure what went on with the 1?

1849.F-horz.jpg

• Like 1

1849.F-horzaa.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jelida said:

The figure you have drawn in yellow is not an ‘F’ but it’s mirror image. It is unlikely they would ever have needed such a punch as when they were repairing an incuse letter on the die they could just have used an ‘E’ punch or an ‘L’ as Gouby describes where appropriate.

Jerry

So could it be an L as that is a foot at the top  and at a seperate angle to the rest of the coin? 

So could it be an L as that is a foot at the top  and at a seperate angle to the rest of the coin? 

Possibly, have a look in Michael Gouby’s book where he shows an ‘E’ probably repaired with an ‘L’,  but on an F10 penny if I remember correctly. No reason why it couldn’t have been used on other dates, I suspect most dies were ‘refreshed’ for continued use in the early high production years.

Jerry

• Like 1

My latest group of unofficial farthings bought over the last month

IMGP3818 (2).JPG

IMGP3816 (2).JPG

• Like 3

I also bought this today, I really like the castle design

IMGP3820 (2).JPG

IMGP3819 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Just a stunning coin. I wonder if it's a specimen strike?. I must admit I have never seen one like this before

1945florinobv-tile.jpg

• Like 2

Probably not a specimen - as this was one of the last 2 years of silver content a whole lot were put aside. I have one very like that.

I remember in 1980 it listed at £2 in BU (and most of that series). Then the Bunker Hunt family tried to corner the world silver market, and these jumped to £12 in BU almost overnight. After a few months of Brits feverishly turning in their ancestral silver for its melt value, the whole enterprise failed and these were back to £2!

• Like 2

They arrived in this morning's post NGC MS65BN (not sure about the BN myself lot of red still there. 1873 I am pretty sure  it is 7+G

and A George IV Obverse Brockage Farthing rare and rather neat. Sorry if the pics are worse than the auction ones and the white thing was airborne as I snapped lol. Lovely coin no luster on pic but plenty on the coin.

1873.revG.o.HP.jpg

1873ngc.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

1873.revG.r.HP.jpg

• Like 4

GeorgeIV.BR.O.jpg

• Like 1

GeorgeIV.BR.O2.jpg

Nice lil Farthing I salvaged from the corner of a box 1879 large 9 :)

1879.farthing.large9-horz.jpg

• Like 3

Also on my continuous search for an UNC/BU 1999 2 pound getting closer :)  Better than the pic . Best I have found to date . Most are chewed up

1999.two.pounds-horz.jpg

• Like 3

Thats the best one I've seen in ages Zoo, can I dibs it when you get an upgrade lol? :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
Monkeys type better than I do.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thats the best one I've seen in ages Zoo, can I dibs it when you get an upgrade lol? :)

Of course but I fear it will be a while. I honestly didn't believe it would be so hard . I mean I dare say the some shows might have them somewhere but I am restricted to what I see on the net which to be fair covers a huge % of smatter. Just these little buggers remain very elusive :)

Indeed, and to think I had one in my hand last week which was a stunner. I don't know if I left it somewhere safe and it maybe got picked up for one of the kids bus fares, or if I put it in the "really safe place", in which case I might have a eureka moent in a couple of years time!

• Like 1

Nice 1928 half-crown for my george V type set

1928half.jpg

• Like 5

They seek em here they seek em there  1881 4 berries Farthing I thought i'd share. :)

1881.4berries.obv.jpg

• Like 3

1881.4berries.rev.jpg

• Like 1

Couldn't let it go just an upgrade to my ongoing albeit snail like full set of brass threepences in unc. Will need to save a few sheckles eventually swap out the 46 and 49. but this will do for now for £8 I think I bagged a bargain. couple of tiny greens to deal with but a cracking coin far better than the standard dross. 

1946o.jpg

1946r.jpg

• Like 3