British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

The second one has crisper detail but has been buffed, so it's a no-brainer really.

2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'll need to sell some more junk first ;)  -

What junk you selling as I seem to be buying it regularly at this moment.:D

1 minute ago, Peckris said:

The second one has crisper detail but has been buffed, so it's a no-brainer really.

Thanks for the input. Do you have any thoughts on the last 1898 3d . I am interested in getting some feedback on that one too if possible.

12 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks again for your help with this. Again forgetting first names :unsure: I wish everyone would add their first names to there posts, I would then get them in my head. Any thoughts on my last coin images please.

Mike, Mick - it's shown just below my user name.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Any thoughts on my last coin images please.

Thats the 1898 I was talkinng about, Keep the first one, sling the second one, Love the 3rd one (which I'd be hapy to own :) )

• Like 1

My latest unofficial farthings, very pleased with the Uxbridge school one, It's been on the wanted list for a very long time! The P & H is an upgrade for obvious reasons.

While I'm posting these is there anybody else out there that collects unofficial farthings? I know the site is mainly for coins but it would be nice to hear from your out there 

IMGP3744.JPG

IMGP3742.JPG

• Like 2

I've not seen that version of the Uxbridge School before, very nice.

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

I've not seen that version of the Uxbridge School before, very nice.

It's taken a lot of searching for and the only example I've seen. I'm still looking for an example of the standard version as I'm 99% certain the copy I have is different but have nothing to compare it too. The tortoise seems higher of the ground

Picked this up. Unlisted EBRITANNIAR 1881 sixpence. Although very subtle I hope you can see the underlying E beneath the B it's a little offset tilting anticlockwise :)

1881sixpenceebritanniarobvreducedsize.jpg

1881sixpenceebritanniarrevreducedsize.jpg

• Like 3

1881eb.jpg

• Like 1

In a similar vein though I picked up this VictoR/Bia last week.

Apologies for the crap photos, its time to go for a beer so no full camera pics until later :)

WIN_20180223_18_32_59_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180223_18_28_00_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

On 06/01/2018 at 3:46 PM, will1976 said:

My latest unofficial farthings, very pleased with the Uxbridge school one, It's been on the wanted list for a very long time! The P & H is an upgrade for obvious reasons.

While I'm posting these is there anybody else out there that collects unofficial farthings? I know the site is mainly for coins but it would be nice to hear from your out there 

It don't collect them exactly, but I do have this, which I believe is an unofficial farthing token:

ud-farthing-ironmonger-bishopsgate-london-isaac-earlysman-sparrow_01_01_2400

I can't resist a farthing.I bought a contemporary farthing from an antiques seller who insisted it was regal.It wasn't but banged them down to £5.It is so sharp I have used it to scratch lottery tickets...won 1K a couple of years ago.Nothing since:( the biggest F/O Indian meal ensued and Anglia Water were put on overtime.

• Like 1

I picked up this with a few other coins during the week from a non-coin auction. These are not my area - anyone with thoughts/comments as to whether it is right or not?

I don't know any markers to spot the fakes with these - I just feel the metal is a bit too bright to be silver, but I may be wrong.

1814 18D bank token 1 Red.JPG

1814 18D bank token 2 Red.JPG

It could well be AOK - I saw a BU one at Warwick&Warwick a few years back, that was bright enough to be a petrol station football medal! But I was assured it was good.

On 23/02/2018 at 6:35 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

In a similar vein though I picked up this VictoR/Bia last week.

Apologies for the crap photos, its time to go for a beer so no full camera pics until later :)

WIN_20180223_18_32_59_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180223_18_28_00_Pro.jpg

Is this the R/E Variety? 

well they ain't the prettiest ever seen but £20 wasn't a bank breaker :D

1862pennyobv-tile.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

I picked up this with a few other coins during the week from a non-coin auction. These are not my area - anyone with thoughts/comments as to whether it is right or not?

I don't know any markers to spot the fakes with these - I just feel the metal is a bit too bright to be silver, but I may be wrong.

1814 18D bank token 1 Red.JPG

1814 18D bank token 2 Red.JPG

Looks ok to me. I have a few that are bright almost like aluminium looking. The contemporary forgeries are easy to spot as they are brass with silver wash usually. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I didn't know there was an R/E for 1887?

Well I just stabbed in the dark really. I thought the O looked strange like struck over another O sideways or and O over a numeral 0?:D

9 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Well I just stabbed in the dark really. I thought the O looked strange like struck over another O sideways or and O over a numeral 0?:D

Thats just my crap webcam :)

I really should do some better pictures, too many sitting in boxes without a decent photo to their name, but then .. too much to do and not enough time to enjoy a pastime.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 0:29 PM, Paulus said:

It don't collect them exactly, but I do have this, which I believe is an unofficial farthing token:

Thank you for the thought Paulus but i already have this type

13 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thats just my crap webcam :)

I really should do some better pictures, too many sitting in boxes without a decent photo to their name, but then .. too much to do and not enough time to enjoy a pastime.

Exactly my problem god knows what I actually could be sitting on potentially. I must of looked at this coin 100 times but never for any specific reason until I noticed it is unlisted 1872 Die 108 BRRITANNIAR Shilling

1872BRRITANNIAR.jpg

• Like 1

1872shillingobvdie108dotafterAofGratia-horz.jpg