British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

19 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

And the latest. I ummed and arred about getting it seeing as it was from across the pond but I think £128 inc postage of £15 oucherooney was a fair price? 1904 Florin in a NGC jacket AU55. Call it EF Still feels like I got a little bang for my pound :)

1904t-horz.jpg

Have you received it, how much did you pay for customs? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leo said:

Have you received it, how much did you pay for customs? 

Not yet  I am hoping it will be like the last one nothing fingers X

Nice coin perhaps undergraded. Here in Australia we do not pay GST and duty for items under $800.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 0:42 AM, zookeeperz said:

And the latest. I ummed and arred about getting it seeing as it was from across the pond but I think £128 inc postage of £15 oucherooney was a fair price? 1904 Florin in a NGC jacket AU55. Call it EF Still feels like I got a little bang for my pound :)

1904t-horz.jpg

AU 55 is GVF, only at AU58 does the British EF grading begin

58 minutes ago, azda said:

AU 55 is GVF, only at AU58 does the British EF grading begin

CGS overstep their grading scale I don't accept their grading system never have never will. I'll judge it by what I know when I see it. Even from a distant view its AEF  All the raised areas are sharp front of the face and helmet ,fingers,breastplate and the scroll . Tiny rub on the ear but looking through plastic very hard to judge it properly. Plus these are notoriously weakly struck coins. Plus nothing hideous is jumping out. I'll take a pic when it arrives. I used to follow CGS grading criteria but when they became  Judge,jury and executioner I changed my mind. :)

TPG again. Judge the coin on its merits. In particular pay attention to the excelent book on grading british coins produced by predecimal.com and make your own judgement. IMO  with reference to the book on grading I think the coin has been under graded by NGC . No worries remove the coin from its slab and enjoy. It seems,  in some people's mindset that when a coin is graded by a TPG it has been branded for all time. When in fact it is an opinion by a system that is littered with inconsistencies that can be easily rectified by the means suggested above.

Edited by ozjohn
extra info
  • Like 1

1797 Copper Penny George III .Not a world beater but wow check the edges. Unbelievable a coin so old has come through the years pretty much unscathed. Especially knowing how easy these were to take damage. So I thought it needs to be kept that way. Just gives a real sense of history and the hands it may have passed through

1797obversepenny-tile.jpg

• Like 1

Been looking for this Reverse B for ages. I was almost becoming to believe it was a myth lol Not a world beater but Seeing as the ones that have surfaced  are normally no better than Fine . At least it is above average.

1937bobv-tile.jpg

I have heard that Cu penny and two penny coins were used as one and two oz. weights which would have saved them from being  circulated.

On 01/08/2017 at 11:02 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Haven't posted for a while as have limited fund of late. I have added the last coin in the jigsaw of my 1888 Jack the Ripper set a 1888 Florin. I now have all denominations except perhaps the Maundy Set which I will still look for, but not worried if I don't get one as am just pleased with the set I now own. Below is pictures of the Florin. Would appreciate your opinions on this with perhaps your vies on the grade again please.

1888 Victorian Florin Rev.jpg1888 Victorian Florin Obv.jpg

On 01/08/2017 at 11:24 PM, mrbadexample said:

Very nice Mick. AUNC? 

On 01/08/2017 at 11:27 PM, Leo said:

Looks uncirculated or near so... I would need a loupe

On 01/08/2017 at 11:32 PM, Paulus said:

From the pics, GEF for me, a trace too much wear, allbeit slight, for AUNC imo - very clean in terms of rims and bag issues in the fields 

Well I have just been informed that my 1888 coins have been graded by LCGS an would like to thank you again for all the input you guys gave me with atempting to grade them before sending them off. All in all I am happy with what grades they were given, although on some I would have hoped for slightly better.

The Florin above was given a CGS 70 AU  which is what I was hoping for although the value was given at a lot less than I paid for it. So have learnt from that. Below are the pictures of the coin from LCGS website.

1888 Florin Victoria Rev.jpg1888 Florin Victoria Obv.jpg

Picked this one up today. OK for 1910M a bullion sovereign.

img086.jpg

img087.jpg

Edited by ozjohn

On 11/24/2017 at 0:13 AM, UPINSMOKE said:

Well I have just been informed that my 1888 coins have been graded by LCGS an would like to thank you again for all the input you guys gave me with atempting to grade them before sending them off. All in all I am happy with what grades they were given, although on some I would have hoped for slightly better.

The Florin above was given a CGS 70 AU  which is what I was hoping for although the value was given at a lot less than I paid for it. So have learnt from that. Below are the pictures of the coin from LCGS website.

1888 Florin Victoria Rev.jpg1888 Florin Victoria Obv.jpg

Glad your happy with them Mick.

The coins you bought and sent were for your own reasons and came back at the grades / varieties and problem free.

Getting another opinion rather than just putting them away will not do any harm.

The actual value is IMO not as important as you probably wont be selling it and adding to your collection / interest in the year.Some prices though for certain pennies are cheap and i would be happy buying them already slabbed and pay full price as i am keeping a constant check on prices through auctions,dealers lists etc.One penny i would if the coins appeared right buy a hundred cgs of one year in UNC today :o.Obviously some will be expensive and this is all relevant to buy the coin not the slab /price (which is what your doing right) or weather the coin is worth even sending although £15 is not much to pay.You will see even more so now everybody does not have access to there website coins being sold alot more than the cgs price a recent example being a penny cgs price was £375 less than it sold for in auction and was attributed correctly.

The prices are also updated as more come available the price may well come down alternatively if auction prices increase or coins are hard to find they may well go up.

All good fun :)

Your buying nice coins and Hat Off to you.

Lastly the 1888 penny you bought i doubt cost you so much ;)

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi Pete thank you for your kind coments. As i said before I was happy with the grades to a point, but as we all do I was hoping for a slightly better result maybe one notch higher would be good. I supose it is what it is and the fact that none came back not slabbed was good. Below are the grades I got.

1887 Crown LCGS 65

1888 Crown 60

1888 Double Florin 70

1888 Halfcrown 70

1888 Florin 70

1888 Shilling 70

1888 Sixpence 65

1888 Threepence 70

1888 Penny 82

1888 Halfpenny 80

1888 Farthing 80

As you remenber the halfpenny i bought had problems with verd and I had to sort that out pictures earlier in this thread. So was pleased with the grade on that one :D

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Lastly the 1888 penny you bought i doubt cost you so much

Your right  If I remember it cost me around £90 I think. But with the grade it got I am very happy. Also it was a scarce  variety  or so I am told. Would be interested in your views on this variety as I have checked what ref books I have and cannot find any mention of this at all. Perhaps you or one of the other Penny boys may be able to enlighten me on how this differ from other normal pennies I really don't have any to compare it too.

UIN 0041961
img.php?u=0041961&f=o&s=m img.php?u=0041961&f=r&s=m
Coin Type PE.V1.1888.03
Origin Great Britain
Description Penny Victoria 1888
Variety First I in VICTORIA with both top serifs. Second I in VICTORIA with shorter top left serif.
Standard References LCGS variety 03
Provenance  
Grade CGS 82
Population Level 1 out of 3 Finest Known

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

The 1888 missing serrifs is not scarce infact there is probably nearly as many without as there are with.

The slight difference in your own coin is the second I and i doubt anyone would be interested in that as its such a tiny difference.

Overall its a 1888 Penny thats been graded 82 which i am sure will be nice.

1888 Penny problem free high grade with good lustre for £90 was a fantastic buy......Hat Off :)

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

The 1888 missing serrifs is not scarce infact there is probably nearly as many without as there are with.

The slight difference in your own coin is the second I and i doubt anyone would be interested in that as its such a tiny difference.

Overall its a 1888 Penny thats been graded 82 which i am sure will be nice.

1888 Penny problem free high grade with good lustre for £90 was a fantastic buy......Hat Off :)

Thanks Pete for the information. I was just going on the amount of 1888 pennies they had slabbed and that variety they had only slabbed 3 in an overall total of 29 so I assumed they were scarcer variety. You live and learn, and by the way I was wrong with the price of the penny I paid £118 for it but this a good purchase off of eBay.  

My latest addition, as I don't have the coin yet these are the dealers pictures. This is my first Anne error

1709 ds shilling obverse (2).jpg

1709 ds shilling reverse (2).jpg

• Like 1

When you provide a provenance going back to the founder, there might be a case for recording it. Tactile? Bitcoin will never manage that and in any case I don't have a suitable space in the trays to put one.

You are better off spamming US sites if you are looking for investors, or maybe your id gives people a clue as to your intentions - perhaps you really are experts at siphoning off peoples' coins. You don't shout to the rafters the existence of a good money-making scheme, just milk it yourself before someone else notices. Or maybe this is just an attempt at putting in the next layer below yourself. Correct Mr Ponzi? 

4 hours ago, Coin-Pump Experts said:

Make some real money fast by joining our coin pump group. It is completely FREE and we are committed to providing value to ALL our team members. 

JOIN US NOW AT:
https://t.me/CoinPumpExperts

Don't waste your time and money! We are a team of experienced cryptocurrency experts.

I am surprised to find a highly skilled team of "experts" looking for victims in a forum . Reading between the lines you must all be very wealthy . I would of thought a TV campaign would of been more upfront. Unless it is what it is just another troll looking to exploit whomever they can. Try ebay you will be amongst many friends and competition is always a healthy thing of course as long as it is above board. Forgive me if I waste my money. I think you should tell that to the collectors who sell coins for $1000000+ . True to say bitcoin may well be the future but for now it is what it is a Bit of something that could be something or could be nothing. And by your appearance here I hardly think bitcoin is setting the world alight is it? Good luck though sounds like you need it :)

Have a nice day

Bitcoin. Basically a Ponzi scheme. This one is wrapped up with high tech mumbo jumbo They always look good until the s### hits the fan and somebody wants their cash. Even the so called founder is scared to show his face who knows what his real motives are. One thing I am convinced of is they are not there to benefit the "man in the street". So far nothing convinces me that their intentions are honorable. Remember CDRs of the GFC the financial product of the century. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Better to stick to real coins in these forums perhaps.

Edited by ozjohn
Extra comment

Found a nicer version of 1937 reverse B Two shillings :) Arrived just now. Nicer in hand scopes really struggle on larger coins

1937Bflorinobv-tile.jpg

On 15/11/2017 at 0:02 PM, VickySilver said:

The pickling process in effect leaches out the lesser metals and leaves a higher purity of the surface metal silver. Perhaps Rob may know  but I'm not aware that the RM plated and then struck or plated previously struck coins.

I have read an article in JN coins:

"Before leaving the subject of the 50% silver alloy, it must be pointed out that it was far from being problem-free. For the first two or three years it looked good when newly struck, but wore to an ugly yellow colour. Some tinkering with the composition of trace metals was done, and the next couple of years saw silver coins wear to show brownish-red ‘coppery’ patches. Finally, the Mint got it just about right, and minted them with a coating of pure silver; these coins tended to wear with greyish patches, and this was so all the way through to their replacement with cupro-nickel in 1947. The Mint even experimented with pure nickel, and some extremely rare shillings exist but as they are strictly patterns, they are outside the scope of this article."

I think Peckris might have written it. Perhaps he can comment. 

I think, but don't know based on other (uncited) readings that this "pure" silver was the result of acid pickling that enriched the surface by leaching out the lesser metals. I have the Nicholson 1920 specimen halfpenny in nickel that was one of the early attempts after the war to possibly move the standard away from silver all together. This was repeated with 3d and shilling in 1923 and the shilling in  1924 with examples of the latter recorded as struck to 5.0 and 5.7 gm standards. It would be possibly interesting to check the alloy of the Bull coins listed as "Duck tailed" specimens of the silver coins as these may have been experimental alloys, not to mention many others. The BM have quite a collection of different alloy specimens from this period as I recall.

Yes, I wrote that article, and had read about the coating of pure silver - but if this was achieved by 'pickling' in acid I'm quite happy to accept that. 

The brown patches seen so often on silver coins of the mid-20s would almost certainly be due to copper 'leaching' to the surface when it wore.

The greyish, pinkish patches spoken about earlier that appears on silver is called firestain. It occurs when silver is heated usually during the annealing process. Oxidisation takes places reacting with the copper used in the silver resulting in these patches forming on the surface.

This can sometimes be covered by heavy silver plating but is more often polished away. In general acid will not remove it unless the silver is left in so long that it starts to dissolve.