British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

I like it as well don't leave the cabinet door unlocked :D . I always steered away from them because of the weak strikes and the shallow design features. But when you get one like that and I guess it was an early struck coin Lovely crisp lines then they are a joy to have. With the focus always on the 1905-08-09 the other dates can be sourced at much less than they should be. I think all UNC florins of edward are scarce

• Like 1

Another for my EdVII 1902...Looking at Spink 2017, I think I got this for a good price tonight at auction.  Paid $51 total including buyers premium.  Nice looking coin in my opinion.

1902Halfpenny.jpg1902Halfpenny2.jpg

• Like 1

Yes its a nice coin although like the penny 1902 High Tide is common and can be found in high grade /well struck quite cheaply compared with some other ED V11 years.

The low tide halfpenny however is much scarcer  and will cost you more.

Not a lot of money and one to put away :)

Sorry if i am going on about something you knew.

How much does a coin cost you to get slabbed in the USA by NGC please Jester ?.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes its a nice coin although like the penny 1902 High Tide is common and can be found in high grade /well struck quite cheaply compared with some other ED V11 years.

The low tide halfpenny however is much scarcer  and will cost you more.

Not a lot of money and one to put away :)

Sorry if i am going on about something you knew.

How much does a coin cost you to get slabbed in the USA by NGC please Jester ?.

Pete.

Thanks for the feedback Pete.  Yeah, I figured while I look for the right Low Tide Halfpenny, I'd pick up a nice High Tide to fill the 1902 Halfpenny spot.

One thing to keep in mind is while the 1902 High Tide may be common and can easily be found in high grade /well struck quite cheaply in the UK, it's a different story on this side of the pond.  And while I do enjoy buying from British dealers, the trans-Atlantic shipping can sometimes make it more cost effective to pick up something like this example from a reputable American auction house like Heritage (the winning bid was $32 [£24.44] before the juice).  Think about Morgan Silver Dollars.  I could make it rain Morgan Silver Dollars if I wanted to but from what I understand, they're a bit harder to put hands on in Europe.  Not saying you can't get them but I can walk in any LCS and they'll have a large selection.  Trying to find this 1902 Halfpenny though in my neck of the woods could be an exercise in futility.

Pricing can vary depending on what you want.  The slabbed/graded 2017 1/10 oz Gold BU Libertad I shared in another thread had the special Mexico label (an extra $5) and a scratch-resistant slab (an extra $5) on top of the standard grading fee of $17 for Modern coins (US or world coins 1955 to present [no patterns, die trials, etc.]. Maximum value $2,000).  Plus a standard $8 handling fee plus return postage.  I was essentially prepping that coin for marketing knowing what spending a bit more might yield in return.

For the numismatic coins we collect, you'd select the Standard grading tier (All US or world coins. Maximum value $3,000/each) and that's $35 for world coins along with the $8 handling fee and return postage.  I usually select the standard brown label without the scratch-resistant slab option to keep costs down.  So it can be pretty costly to submit one coin at a time for grading but some of the costs (the handling fee and shipping) can be dispersed if larger submission are made.  That's one of the reasons The Silver Forum puts together their group submissions that brings shipping down to a negligible amount and the handling fee pretty much disappears.

If we look back at that 1902 EdVII Halfpenny I picked up, I paid $51 all in.  If I had a raw specimen sent in for grading 1) I can have an educated idea what it should grade at but as we've recently discussed, there are no guarantees and 2) it'd cost me conservatively $40 just to have it graded.  So picking up a nice MS 63 RB already graded for $51 shipped was worth it to me.  

I hope that helps.  Thanks again for your feedback Pete.  Always a pleasure talking with you!  Have a great Friday afternoon.

• Like 4

What a fantastic reply and thank you for taking the time.....BIG HAT OFF.

Keep smiling.

Pete.

• Like 1

Toning but gorgeous Condition Lustred to death and a really nice strike especially the reverse they don't come much nicer

1923florinobv-horz.jpg

• Like 4

Close up of the lions

1923lions.jpg

• Like 2

( coins I had to buy to get the coin I wanted from the lot but Still £4  for 9 edward VII pennies with 1908 star of the lot. I think a great deal not going to set the auction rooms alight but it's respectable :)

1908pennyobverse-horz.jpg

I always have to ponder long and hard over the 1908’s. Is it F166, 2+D? I am happy to be corrected here. 

Jerry

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jelida said:

I always have to ponder long and hard over the 1908’s. Is it F166, 2+D? I am happy to be corrected here. 

Jerry

Spot on :)

45 minutes ago, jelida said:

Jerry

Yes REV D so has to be F166

2 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Spot on :)

Must of been typing at the same time :D

• Like 1

latest upgrade .ebay can come good sometimes . No automatic alt text available.

streaky lustre but still attractive ,no wear and only a few marks Image may contain: make-up

• Like 1

On 03/11/2017 at 11:33 PM, zookeeperz said:

Close up of the lions

1923lions.jpg

The reverse lions in the top shield are exceptionally well struck!

On 03/11/2017 at 11:32 PM, zookeeperz said:

Toning but gorgeous Condition Lustred to death and a really nice strike especially the reverse they don't come much nicer

1923florinobv-horz.jpg

This is seriously nice!

Yes, Zoo, that is a nice one....The reverse almost has that pickled appearance where the planchets were sometimes acid bathed to increase the surface percentage of silver. Nice!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, Zoo, that is a nice one....The reverse almost has that pickled appearance where the planchets were sometimes acid bathed to increase the surface percentage of silver. Nice!!!

I didn't know that coins were ever acid bathed to increase the surface percentage of silver but this does make sense chemistry wise. Were some 0.5 silver coins actually coated with a layer of pure silver to improve appearance? 

The pickling process in effect leaches out the lesser metals and leaves a higher purity of the surface metal silver. Perhaps Rob may know  but I'm not aware that the RM plated and then struck or plated previously struck coins.

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

The pickling process in effect leaches out the lesser metals and leaves a higher purity of the surface metal silver. Perhaps Rob may know  but I'm not aware that the RM plated and then struck or plated previously struck coins.

Never heard of it happening. All the plated things like Barton's Metal were on previously prepared sheets as far as I was aware

Here's my other one again really nice strikes and that stunning luster looks like almost frost and if you were to touch it your finger would stick ;)

1923GVFlorinobverse-horz.jpg

• Like 1

That is a keeper....Zoo;)

• Like 1

And the latest. I ummed and arred about getting it seeing as it was from across the pond but I think £128 inc postage of £15 oucherooney was a fair price? 1904 Florin in a NGC jacket AU55. Call it EF Still feels like I got a little bang for my pound :)

1904t-horz.jpg

• Like 1