British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

I've got Farthing, Halfpenny, Penny, Shilling and Halfcrown all in A UNC or better listed on fleabay Mick. May have a Florin, Threepence and Sixpence in my stock trays (if I can find them in the war zone that is my office......)

My latest additions, nothing spectacular and not my usual area of collecting but a nice memento of my holiday in Canada. The quarter cent is supposed to glow in the dark.......it doesn't!!

IMGP3665.JPG

IMGP3667.JPG

IMGP3669.JPG

• Like 3

On 9/11/2017 at 4:36 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Why ??? am I missing something.

1972 was never released into circulation, so only proof.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, argentumandcoins said:

I've got Farthing, Halfpenny, Penny, Shilling and Halfcrown all in A UNC or better listed on fleabay Mick. May have a Florin, Threepence and Sixpence in my stock trays (if I can find them in the war zone that is my office......)

Sorry must have missed this post. Thanks for the info but I think I am sorted now for 1935 coins.

15 minutes ago, scott said:

1972 was never released into circulation, so only proof.

Ok thanks for that

Well everyone I have now completed my 1935 set of Denomination coins with this one off of eBay. Thanks to everyone that helped me, you know who you are. I have now to move on to the next set.

1935 Halfpenny Rev.jpg1935 Halfpenny Obv.jpg

I am happy with this nice and crisp and at last am getting better photo's although still struggling to get decent ones of the silver coins.

• Like 7

Out of interest, what is "the next step"?

1 hour ago, newheart said:

Out of interest, what is "the next step"?

My next step is to move on to a denomination set of 1937 as this has a Crown in the set as well. I don't think this will take me too long as I already have 4 of the coins and have ordered 5 others only need to find a decent Crown in UNC condition at a reasonable price. Where I go from there is anyone's guess I do have a few gaps in my sixpences I need to fill between 1936 and 1970, I may go onto them.

• Like 1

How many coins in a denomination set? I guess they all have to be UNC?

10 minutes ago, newheart said:

How many coins in a denomination set? I guess they all have to be UNC?

It depends on what year set you go for  for 1937 it's  10 coins  unless you go for  the proof set as well. Most of the later sets I try to go for as near to uncirculated as I can find. On earlier sets it may not be possible to get them as close to uncirculated. Then I try to get them in EF or as close as.

• Like 1

I picked up this beautiful 1900 Florin.  The grey-scale toning on the reverse is really nice IMO.

1900Florin.jpg

• Like 8

Must be something about Florins of that era.  I also have a 1900 which I repatriated from a New Zealand coin dealer's website a few years ago.  Very similar in toning to yours!

v750jMK.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack Mick, look forward to seeing your incoming 1937s in due course :)

• Like 6

My latest . I'll probably get stuffed by customs as well  but If this is what I believe it is it will be worth the expense. 1916 Penny Recessed ear Broken border tooth after last T of BRITT

1916recessedearobv-tile.jpg

1916recessedearobvtooth.jpg

• Like 4

Worth every penny to get a class coin.That is a keeper.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Worth every penny to get a class coin.That is a keeper.

Your not going to believe this I am so very fortunate this is the recessed ear coin. I searched for 1911 penny. I hate ebay they list anything even if the sale says 1911-1936. I thought I was looking at a goubyX 1911 penny lmao. I even overlooked the date concentrating on those blasted border teeth pointing. You can imagine my mind Ms64 goubyx  It's a slam dunk. I really have to refrain from impulse purchases without looking properly first. It is not the first time either lol

Bookending my 1838 - 1910 Sixpences with a few fine examples picked up tonight.

1938Sixpence.jpg1938Sixpence2.jpg

1939, Top Pop at both NGC and PCGS

1939Sixpence.jpg1939Sixpence2.jpg

• Like 4

I was tired...but good catch nonetheless.

Not in quite the same grade but a scarcer type for the year 1873 rev C die 117

1873die117sixpebcereverseC.jpg

• Like 4

Nothing to blow your mind but I picked up the 1902 1/3 Farthing in good condition as part of my 1902 denomination year set.

1902OneThirdFarthing.jpg1902OneThirdFarthing2.jpg

• Like 3

OK, maybe these are a bit more interesting.  Just finalized the purchase so wanted to wait until that happened before posting.

1902 Crown

1902Crown.jpg

1902 Florin

1902Florin.jpg

Edited by Jester
  • Like 4

Very very nice florin. I also went for the 1902 set, being so common in high quality you get the 'best bang for your buck' if you want to focus on quality rather than rarity, and quickly put together a type set.

You do know that the third farthing did not circulate in Britain though?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leo said:

Very very nice florin. I also went for the 1902 set, being so common in high quality you get the 'best bang for your buck' if you want to focus on quality rather than rarity, and quickly put together a type set.

You do know that the third farthing did not circulate in Britain though?

Thanks so much for your feedback @Leo. Really enjoying the 1902 hunt. I think the biggest expense will be the low sea level Halfpenny and Penny in high grade. 

The third farthing was for Malta, right? I thought it was an interesting coin and I was able to pick it up for about $25 shipped so I thought, why not (while working on the other 1902 coins).

Thanks again for your comments.