British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

Thanks guys it really helps to get others opinions on grades. It was sold to me as UNC on eBay bought for £90 I agree with your grades and would put it at GEF/AUNC below pictures from eBay as a comparison. although the Obv looks a bit worse than the Rev, in the pictures in hand with the naked eye it really looks ok. We will see once I send them off to be graded what they all come back as.

1888 Florin Rev eBay.jpg1888 Florin Obv eBay.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 3

I do like the simple elegance of the cruciform shields design.

I am somewhat puzzled why both the Roman I and Arabic 1 were used for 1887 double florin. There is the theory that the Roman I was used by "mistake" and they switched to Arabic 1 once they have released the "error". However, that theory is not convincing since the roman I was used for florins for years afterwards.

Lovely coin, Mick.

I'd agree with GEF/aUNC. There's a few marks on the obverse, but they don't detract. 

25 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Lovely coin, Mick.

I'd agree with GEF/aUNC. There's a few marks on the obverse, but they don't detract. 

Not having a clue about silver are those marks from a rusty die or just wear /bag marks.....as i have no idea ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

The ones on the cheek, left of the ear seem mechanical.

Now with the better photos I can see some slight wear on the edges of the veil, so it has circulated some

24 minutes ago, Leo said:

The ones on the cheek, left of the ear seem mechanical.

Now with the better photos I can see some slight wear on the edges of the veil, so it has circulated some

Yep, the tiny bit of wear on the veil is more obvious in the second picture for me too. :)

Well at last I have completed the 1888 set with the Maundy Coins below is the picture will put up some more when I get the coins sometime next week.

1888 Victoria Maundy Set.jpg

• Like 3

That is a lovely looking set Mick

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IanB said:

That is a lovely looking set Mick

Thanks they will eventually go off to be graded and encased. My other 1888 coins are being graded at the moment, should not be long before I get them back. Another completed denomination year  group completed. Now what to go onto next ??. Whether to stick with Victorian or go onto Edward VII, George V,  or George VI or maybe go back further to William IV or George IV decisions decisions :rolleyes:<_<:D

I have always liked the Edward VII bust but I think pushing it back in time is worth considering. I have no idea on costs though. Are you sticking with the Maundy sets?

1 hour ago, IanB said:

I have always liked the Edward VII bust but I think pushing it back in time is worth considering. I have no idea on costs though. Are you sticking with the Maundy sets?

Thanks for your thoughts on this I did consider Edward VII as the next step. Although as you say going back might be another option. Cost is the main factor so have to consider what years would be the easiest to acquire at a reasonable cost, although I am aiming at  EF and above so it may not be easy. I am not sticking to the Maundy Sets, but am quite tempted as I do like them. What I try to do as I did with 1899 and 1888 is collect each coin produce for that year from Crown to Farthing and include the Maundy Set as well if I can.

I have already completed 1888 and 1899 and they will be slabbed eventually. The Only other area's I am adding to now are my Threepence and Sixpence coins, I like the smaller coins for some reason. I do have a collection of Farthings but haven't added any more to these for a while.

It all comes down to money or the lack of it being on only a pension.  I am slowly going to sell what Halfcrowns, Florins, and shillings I have accumulated from when I first started to finance buying the coins I now collect.

Any suggestions of a good year to have a go at would be much appreciated and the reasons why, I will then have a look see where I go next.

I personally prefer high grades than rare dates. So if I am going for a denomination set, I would go for 1893, 1897, 1900 or 1902, to keep cost down. For Edward VII, you can only get a crown in 1902. The 1902 halfcrown and florin can be obtained in AU or UNC at much lower prices than other dates. 

• Like 2

I agree with Sword.  Given that you already have an 1899 set, 1902 would seem the obvious choice for what next.

Alternatively, consider either an 1860-1886 set so you can have a nice Gothic florin and Bun Head bronze penny, or something between 1841 and 1859 so you can have the beautiful Victoria copper coins.  The halfcrown and crown would be expensive in high grades though...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sword said:

I personally prefer high grades than rare dates. So if I am going for a denomination set, I would go for 1893, 1897, 1900 or 1902, to keep cost down. For Edward VII, you can only get a crown in 1902. The 1902 halfcrown and florin can be obtained in AU or UNC at much lower prices than other dates. 

I agree with you preferring higher grades than rare dates. It looks as if I will make 1902 my next goal. As you say it will keep the costs down. Thanks for your suggestions. 

3 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I agree with Sword.  Given that you already have an 1899 set, 1902 would seem the obvious choice for what next.

Alternatively, consider either an 1860-1886 set so you can have a nice Gothic florin and Bun Head bronze penny, or something between 1841 and 1859 so you can have the beautiful Victoria copper coins.  The halfcrown and crown would be expensive in high grades though...

Have had a look at the earlier dates you suggested but it looks as though these maybe out of my reach with me preferring higher grades. The prices start to rocket once you get to EF and higher. So its 1902 for now, at least its another reign to add to the collection. Thanks for your suggestions.

1902 is great because you can also go for the Low Tide penny and halfpenny, and the matte proofs, if funds and collecting goals allow.  Have fun seeking out your coins!

1935 is also a year to consider. The designs look nice and  the coins are relatively low priced. Come to think of it, I have unintentionally made a start on a 1935 denomination set and have got the crown (both the proof and currency), halfcrown and florin. I do like the modified effigy and the florin design in particular. I also think these 0.5 silver coins have been coated with a layer of pure silver and BUNC examples are attractive.

if you do Lizzy.. get a 72 set.

why 1935? I would go for 36, unless it is because of the crown.

15 hours ago, scott said:

if you do Lizzy.. get a 72 set.

Why ??? am I missing something.

15 hours ago, scott said:

Edited by UPINSMOKE

18 hours ago, scott said:

Exactly and the art deco rocking horse crown is iconic. It is also very cheap compared to the earlier crowns. You can get a currency, specimen or a RE proof depending on your budget. Personally, I think a silver denomination set is just less exciting without the biggest coin.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sword said:

Exactly and the art deco rocking horse crown is iconic. It is also very cheap compared to the earlier crowns. You can get a currency, specimen or a RE proof depending on your budget. Personally, I think a silver denomination set is just less exciting without the biggest coin.

Its quite a coincidence that you mention the 1935 set and the Rocking Horse Crown as I have two of them in my possession. So may just have to try for this set. I also have had a look at a few dealers websites for 1935 coins and it seems that there are not too many about at the moment. Any links to dealers that may have these in GEF or above please.

Sorry, just one in a decent EF. Beautifully toned though with gold and green highlights, so probably stored in lambs wool for much of its life.

Dealers don't list them because demand is relatively slow. There are other things that will sell much quicker which take priority.

Edited by Rob

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sorry, just one in a decent EF. Beautifully toned though with gold and green highlights, so probably stored in lambs wool for much of its life.

What coin is it please ???

1 minute ago, UPINSMOKE said:

What coin is it please ???

Oh sorry, a crown. I've got other denominations though. Will have to look at what I have as I only know of a shilling and penny for certain. Might have a halfpenny still, but no farthing as I was asked for one yesterday. Sixpence and threepence are possibilities too.

Hi Rob I already have the Crown,  I did mention this in a previous post.  

3 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi Rob I already have the Crown,  I did mention this in a previous post.  

I know now. I misread it.