British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

My latest addition to the 1888 set of coins the Crown. What do you think ? Can you give your thoughts on grade please. I got this at what I think was a good price off eBay so really pleased it looks far better in hand than my photo's. Really need some tips from @Paulus on how to do it. I use a macro lens and two daylight lamps but just cannot get it right.

1888 Crown Obv 400A.jpg1888 Crown Rev 400A.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 2

Lovely high grade coin Mick ....but dont have a clue on silver as to weather its been cleaned or worked on.

More importantly maybe dipped looking at the ebay picture ........What do you think is what matters :)

Edited by PWA 1967

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Lovely high grade coin Mick ....but dont have a clue on silver as to weather its been cleaned or worked on.

More importantly maybe dipped looking at the ebay picture ........What do you think is what matters :)

Thanks Pete I'm pleased with it. But I will be the same with Penny's haven't got a clue when it comes to them:mellow::D

15 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest addition to the 1888 set of coins the Crown. What do you think ? Can you give your thoughts on grade please. I got this at what I think was a good price off eBay so really pleased it looks far better in hand than my photo's. Really need some tips from @Paulus on how to do it. I use a macro lens and two daylight lamps but just cannot get it right.

1888 Crown Obv 400A.jpg1888 Crown Rev 400A.jpg

I'm not sure it's about how others do it, it's how YOU do it, i'm always advocating natural sunlight, so here is 2 different pictures taken today within a minute of each other, i'll post a finished result of those 2 pictures just shortly It's all in how you direct the camera and use the light/sunlight, these were taken with my ipad

img_1611.jpg

img_1612.jpg

Edited by azda

Same 2 files, cropped a little more with blank backgrounds added

img_1629.jpg

img_1630.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 0:05 AM, Peter said:

Pete keep your vastly over priced slab shite.This Leopard will not be changing his M&S underpants.

I have read this numerous times and unfortunately the other side of me has come.

Behave and wind your neck in .

My coins are as they are and think they are ok even if i break them out of the plastic its only cost me an extra £15/£20

Your dig has wound me up ...... I am always happy and like to help collectors if i can.

Pete.

If you would like to post again ,please feel free and happy to make you possibly a bit more reserved from your stupid comment.

M&S underpants FFS :D :D :D

• Like 1

My latest addition to the 1888 set of coins the Crown. What do you think ? Can you give your thoughts on grade please. 

Perhaps cleaning hairlines, and the crown looks a bit weak but your photo is too low res to tell. Overall a most pleasing example

...And happy new year to you all!

No dig intended Pete...I kind of like you.You do a lot for this forum.Paul seems to buy your offers....another slabster.

Be happy Pete and my neck has never been out of my M&S shirts.HNY buddy

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

No dig intended Pete...I kind of like you.You do a lot for this forum.Paul seems to buy your offers....another slabster.

Be happy Pete and my neck has never been out of my M&S shirts.HNY buddy

Take care Peter :) and hope your OK.

My latest for the Jack the Ripper set  Double Florin not in the best condition I would grade at Good/Fine what are your thoughts please. 

1888 DB Florin Rev.jpg1888 DB Florin Obv.jpg

19 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest for the Jack the Ripper set  Double Florin not in the best condition I would grade at Good/Fine what are your thoughts please. 

1888 DB Florin Rev.jpg1888 DB Florin Obv.jpg

NVF or VF I think, but might have been previously cleaned

Edited by Sword

VF or better for me, but fields reveal strong cleaning I'm afraid :( 

Agree with the chaps above with regard to cleaning.  VF+ for me too.

Thank guys for all your input on the coin. Not the best but will do for now. Will have to look out for something better to replace it.

No automatic alt text available.

Latest upgrade to my penny collection .Quite pleased for less than £14 .not the greatest pic ,best I can manage with my phone.

Nice, and a good price to boot

Latest purchase ,one gap less to fill .its been cleaned, but the price was right for such a hard to find coin.

On the first photos coins look better. Excellent purchase, congratulations!

Edited by Antique99

I would grade your crown as NVF. Value around £40.