British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

Mick,

To me that is a cracking coin. Enjoy it for what it it is, dipped or undipped it's still a thing of beauty.

Ian

• Like 2

IMO, cleaned and retoning around the lettering, devices appear free of such and on,near and around the rim nicks. Central devices free of such, residual fingerprints at reverse 2 o'clock and also reverse just below and behind horse's arse. These don't IMO appear to be new but rather residual of older toning. Also slightly funky toning behind bust in field. Anything is possible, but even taking into account photo exposures/artifacts, etc. Looks like lightly dipped coin with either some residual of old tone, a bit of new tone or both.

Still say this is a nice coin indeed. Possible 62 at NGC is my best guess as the reverse well struck and no overly distracting marks.

Not that exciting but another addition to my 1899 set of coins. Views on grade welcome as I am having it slabbed so any feedback would be great.

1899 Farthing Rev.jpg1899 Farthing Obv.jpg

• Like 2

I would say GVF I hope you didn't pay more than 10p.

Don't slab it ffs

I really find it difficult to understand why anyone would slab a coin worth pence.Or slab a coin full stop.

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

I really find it difficult to understand why anyone would slab a coin worth pence.Or slab a coin full stop.

Because I can:P My personal preference I just want the two sets of coins I collect 1899 and 1951 to all be slabbed. Both these sets mean a lot too me especially the 1899 set so want the to be encapsulated to pass on the my daughter and she knows the relevance of both the dates. I am not bothered about any other coins being slabbed just these.

14 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Because I can:P My personal preference I just want the two sets of coins I collect 1899 and 1951 to all be slabbed. Both these sets mean a lot too me especially the 1899 set so want the to be encapsulated to pass on the my daughter and she knows the relevance of both the dates. I am not bothered about any other coins being slabbed just these.

Why buy shite.That 1899 farthing is a disgrace.It would be a thrower into the deepest Kate Bush.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why buy shite.That 1899 farthing is a disgrace.It would be a thrower into the deepest Kate Bush.

Well if you can find a better one for a few pence I am willing to buy it off you:P There you go, I have thrown the gauntlet down lets see if you can come up with the goods.:rolleyes::)

Edited by UPINSMOKE

15 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Well if you can find a better one for a few pence I am willing to buy it off you:P There you go, I have thrown the gauntlet down lets see if you can come up with the goods.:rolleyes::)

If you send it off for TPG  you are missing the point. It will be sending a sausage down the Dartford tunnel.Buy from Chris,Rob,Colin or other dealers and you won't need some other TWAT to tell you what you have. Your farthing is a Crap coin...I don't like telling people but your coin is 10p value and a thrower.

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you send it off for TPG  you are missing the point. It will be sending a sausage down the Dartford tunnel.Buy from Chris,Rob,Colin or other dealers and you won't need some other TWAT to tell you what you have. Your farthing is a Crap coin...I don't like telling people but your coin is 10p value and a thrower.

Well for your information I did buy this from Colin on here as recommended, and am pleased with it. So make what you want out of that. I am happy, everybody to there own opinion I suppose.:)

Don't get it graded and enjoy a mid grade farthing (sorry Colin) that is a thrower.

I like it. It's not a disgrace, a thrower, or shite. I've got plenty worse than that in my collection. :P

I wouldn't have it slabbed mind... :huh:

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Don't get it graded and enjoy a mid grade farthing (sorry Colin) that is a thrower.

To late its already there so we will wait and see what the outcome is when it comes back. I cannot understand you about saying its shite and a thrower, and then when you know where it came from it becomes a mid grade coin??

8 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I like it. It's not a disgrace, a thrower, or shite. I've got plenty worse than that in my collection. :P

I wouldn't have it slabbed mind... :huh:

As I said in my previous post I am only getting it slabbed to add to all my other 1899 coin set which are all slabbed as well. If they weren't I would not have had this done.  

Just now, UPINSMOKE said:

As I said in my previous post I am only getting it slabbed to add to all my other 1899 coin set which are all slabbed as well. If they weren't I would not have had this done.  

It's yours. You can do whatever you like with it. I'd like to know what grade it gets - I'd say it was aEF albeit with a slightly weak reverse. :)

• Like 1

It would get an EF from me.

I wouldn't pay to get it slabbed either, but I fully respect your right to do so and understand why you might want to.

Anyway - where to next, Mick, once you've completed your 1899 and 1951 sets?  Keep buying whatever takes your fancy, or are you going to focus on something more specific?

• Like 3

It is mid grade/awful strike.Why can't you see it? Grading will double the cost of the coins worth.

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

It would get an EF from me.

I wouldn't pay to get it slabbed either, but I fully respect your right to do so and understand why you might want to.

Anyway - where to next, Mick, once you've completed your 1899 and 1951 sets?  Keep buying whatever takes your fancy, or are you going to focus on something more specific?

I still have a little way to go with the 1951 set need to find a decent Halfpenny either slabbed or as is in UNC condition or may except aUNC so if you spot one please let me know. Apart from that I still have to find a 1951 Maundy Set if possible, but not top of my list at the moment. 

I have gradually been chipping away at my coin run from 1899 - 1951 with Half-crowns, Florins,Shillings,Sixpences, 3d silver and brass, and Farthings. The Farthings I have almost completed with maybe a few upgrades needed at a later date. I have gone further back with the farthings too 1746 I think my earliest so enjoying finding these. I am not so strict with my grades collecting the farthings, just trying to complete the date run as far as I am able.

As for moving on the something else, I am thinking a Jack the Ripper set 1888 as I already have an 1888 shilling. Another quest starts for this set, may also carry on with my search for the 1887 set as well. Trying to find dates in history that appeal to me and collect the coins from that era.

I think it's EF and sort of interesting in its deep blackness, nearly like jet.

Slabbing... It's your choice, by the same reasoning of some people it wouldn't even be worth to spend a quadro capsule on it, but collecting is not ruled by common sense :)

Oh dear the coin doesn't touch EF....too many hours on ebay methinks.It grades NVF at best.

The pearls in the collar are only beginning to appear flat at the top. The garter is in quite detail, so are the jewels in the crown, the fold of veil is still in higher plane than the ear... Britannia's fingers on the trident are quite fine still... But yes other areas suggest weak strike like Britannia's helmet. It is only my interpretation of Mr. Perkins' manual is that this coin would be NEF and would make EF if it wasn't a common one, or if it had lustre or a stronger strike.

• Like 2

I am a bit unwilling to enter into this thread as there seems to be a lot of unnecessary testostorone behind some of the posts.

My feeling is that any opinions on coins are valid but should be espressed in polite and respectful tones. Not all of us can afford perfect coins all the time and the joy for many of us is in the acquisition, not the possession. Being derogatory about other people's coins here certainly risks putting them off using this forum and may risk putting them off coin collecting all together, which is in nobody's interest.

IMO the coin posted is around VF+ bearing in mind that farthings of this date were darkened by the mint so the tone is appropriate. Value is more difficult - in the end it is what someone is prepared to pay for it, so if the OP was happy with the price they paid, then that is it's value to them.

As to grading, personally I don't go for that at all - I prefer to keep my coins in the raw so I can examine them when I wish to. Equally I have few coins that are good enough to warrant grading and having some of my coins in plastic coffins would throw off the balance of the others. But I completely understand other's desire to have their coins graded, so don't let me put anyone off!

Edited by Paddy
Spelling
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, Leo said:

It is only my interpretation of Mr. Perkins' manual is that this coin would be NEF and would make EF if it wasn't a common one, or if it had lustre or a stronger strike.

I don't see how the grade relates to the strike. An uncirculated coin with a weak strike is still uncirculated. Less desirable, certainly, but surely the grade relates to the relative wear of what left the mint?

On 10/26/2016 at 10:04 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Not that exciting but another addition to my 1899 set of coins. Views on grade welcome as I am having it slabbed so any feedback would be great.

1899 Farthing Rev.jpg1899 Farthing Obv.jpg

I would say toned NEF. Slightly weak strike possibly from a well used die, but shield is fully intact, and the fields are absolutely clean. No issues with the coin whatsoever, as far as I can see. Only worth a few quid at most, so not really worth having it slabbed IMO, but I'd be interested in their grading when you get it back. A respectable piece in any farthing date run, or year set. 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1