British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

9 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Looks like its back to the drawing board again. I can't seem to get anything right perhaps collecting coins isn't for me. :(:( 

We all go through the same process UIS, we've all bought coins that have been not up to scratch, in the digital age, good pictures are most valuable, i would think 75% of us have all bought a wrong-un at some point or other, it's all about learning, that's what makes the forum so good, and as i've said previously, it's only you that has to look and admire it, we're only giving opinions which you might not agree with either, we can be extremely critical, and most say it as it is, some people take it personally, others take advice on board......

Its a learning curve....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, azda said:

We all go through the same process UIS, we've all bought coins that have been not up to scratch, in the digital age, good pictures are most valuable, i would think 75% of us have all bought a wrong-un at some point or other, it's all about learning, that's what makes the forum so good, and as i've said previously, it's only you that has to look and admire it, we're only giving opinions which you might not agree with either, we can be extremely critical, and most say it as it is, some people take it personally, others take advice on board......

Its a learning curve....

The other thing to bear in mind is that not everybody has a fabulous collection of top grade, superb coins. You could get that impression from reading the posts on here, and it is certainly something to aim for, but it really isn't like that for most of us. A few do reach these high standards, and good luck to them, but most don't - if we did then lower grade material simply wouldn't sell at auction and as you know it does sell perfectly well.

Also, of course high grade coins are not always available and a lower standard has to be accepted, at least until a better one comes along - if ever! Many of us simply can't afford to buy in top grade, but if we are date collectors we either have to accept a lower grade for a rare date, or live with a gap. For instance, my 1854 sixpence is GF at best. It's a rare date and high grade specimens occasionally come along, but their price is astronomic. So, I'm faced with a choice. Do I buy a high grade 1854 for £2-3k or more, or do I buy maybe several more interesting, but less rare coins of other denominations? Choices, choices. Only a lottery win would take away the problem. 

My point is that you shouldn't be put off by not achieving the goal of perfection. As I say, most of us have lower grade coins in our collections, simply because it isn't always possible to do better. For me, I'd always have the lower grade than a gap. Gaps are like missing front teeth, whereas lower grade can always be upgraded sometime. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Looks like its back to the drawing board again. I can't seem to get anything right perhaps collecting coins isn't for me.

It is!

It's just that we, as rookies, we get too hung up on getting whatever coin at the 'fair price' but, if you buy it from somebody, even another collector from eBay, this person must make a profit and sell it for 2X. So if you pay X, the value really is X/2. I've assumed this and live happy. You'll keep it for 20 years and sell it for 4X and, taking inflation apart, you end up with a minimal increment and that is why coins will never be a good short term investment. But the fun in the process is priceless! :)

15 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Looks like its back to the drawing board again. I can't seem to get anything right perhaps collecting coins isn't for me. :(:( 

Stick with it! I have only been collecting for 13 months now, and I have made mistakes a plenty along the way however I feel I am starting to get better with my grading and things I would have snapped up a year ago I pass by now. Go look at the thread in the beginners section I started and hopefully you will see the progression from what I initially purchased through to what I am looking at now. I still have masses to learn but the experience of this year has helped me with George V Halfcrowns and they guys on here have been very helpful. As long as you take the feedback as just that, feedback, and not a personally affront to yourself it is really useful and this is a great place to learn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, azda said:

Its a learning curve....

I agree its only me who has too look at my coins and at the end of the day I am the one spending my money and choosing the coins I like. But we all like to hear good comments on our purchases, and other peoples opinions should be their opinions and I should not let it bother me. For some reason I let the opinions get to me. I can now see that perhaps I took them the wrong way.

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Stick with it! I have only been collecting for 13 months now, and I have made mistakes a plenty along the way however I feel I am starting to get better with my grading and things I would have snapped up a year ago I pass by now. Go look at the thread in the beginners section I started and hopefully you will see the progression from what I initially purchased through to what I am looking at now. I still have masses to learn but the experience of this year has helped me with George V Halfcrowns and they guys on here have been very helpful. As long as you take the feedback as just that, feedback, and not a personally affront to yourself it is really useful and this is a great place to learn.

Thanks for the kind comments and yet again more good advice, will take it on board when choosing a coin/coins to buy in future did have a good look at you thread and I can see hoe you have progressed. I have just jumped in and bought without thinking that much about checking every area of the coin for instance the 1935 crown the surfaces looked good no marks to speak off, the strike looked crisp to me anyway, the price was good etc but the knock on the edge did not register. I was taken over by thoughts that I must have it at all costs:wub: instead of checking everything a second time just to make sure. Well I learned that now I must sit back and be more observant when checking a coin. 

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Start by asking yourself why you wouldn't want to buy that particular coin. When you have a list of faults, however significant or minor, then you can then determine whether you want it or if the price is ok or not.

• Like 1

Send all edge knocked coins to Paulus together with cleaned and hair lined crap.

He has a golf tee made from a 1909 1d T over a tooth.....his 1 iron awaits you.:o

Get your golf clubs ready:D:P  Here is my latest addition to the collection quite like this for the price I paid not the best but will do for the moment. Will leave the final verdict with those that know better than me. Looks far better in hand than my pictures depict.

IMGP2780.JPG

IMGP2781.JPG

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

Nice! I like the rusty tone. Much better than mine. EF

Is it in a holder?

31 minutes ago, Leo said:

Nice! I like the rusty tone. Much better than mine. EF

Is it in a holder?

Know its not in a holder. I just cannot get my photo's to show the best out the coin. Below are the original photo's from the listing which look much better I think.

1908 Threepence Reverse.jpg

1908 Threepence Obverse.jpg

• Like 1

Good coin but verdigris developing on the reverse rim.

2 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

That looks like blue toning at 9 o'clock, not verdigris.

• Like 1

UPIN, Nice 3 Pence. I like the toning, also a nice strike.

• Like 1

Very good coin if that's not verdigris which is hard to tell from the pictures.

Nice 3d.  Those Edwardian threepences aren't easy to find with a well struck obverse.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for you comments. Its nice to know I maybe getting things right at last. 

On 8/20/2016 at 8:34 PM, jacinbox said:

I have added a couple of more photo's slightly larger so would appreciate any further comments on condition of this coin.

On 8/20/2016 at 8:55 PM, jacinbox said:

Very good coin if that's not verdigris which is hard to tell from the pictures.

See Pics below hope these are better.

On 8/20/2016 at 9:01 PM, Nick said:

Nice 3d.  Those Edwardian threepences aren't easy to find with a well struck obverse.

Thanks for the kind comment.

On 8/20/2016 at 10:00 PM, Paulus said:

Nice one UIS, glad it's good in hand :)

It always look good in hand, oh and by the way my first name is Mick if that helps.

1908 Threepence Reverse.jpg1908 Threepence Obverse.jpg 

Did notice a slight edge knock at 4 o'clock on the reverse shows up a lot more in the photo rather than in hand. Must keep an eye out for these in future.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Very pleasing coin!!!! Re 4 o clock that would be classed as a flan flaw. Flan flaws don't reduce the value of a coin as much as an edge knock.

• Like 1

I must admit that these lot on here are a right lot everytime upinsmoke puts a picture on you lot rush to point out the faults in it .

Unless he collects those proof sets from 1970 onwards this lot will never be happy LOL.

Most coins have little faults but it is if you yourself who  are prepared to put up and enjoy the coin that matters.

Collecting is a learning experience for everyone of whatever age , hopefully an enjoyable one

• Like 2

On 8/22/2016 at 10:01 AM, jacinbox said:

Very pleasing coin!!!! Re 4 o clock that would be classed as a flan flaw. Flan flaws don't reduce the value of a coin as much as an edge knock.

How do you tell the difference please? I thought it was an edge knock too. :huh:

On 8/18/2016 at 3:38 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest arrived today 1935 Crown pleased with it. I graded this as EF your views on grade please. I helps me to see if I am getting it right. I don't think its too bad for the price of £15. These are not my pictures do you think these are scanned if so I may try this myself if I can ever get my printer to comply:wacko:

1935 Crown Reverse.jpg1935 Crown Obverse.jpg

Just bought another Rocking Horse Crown but not sure if its any better than the one above your opinions welcome please.

1935 Rocking Horse Crown Rev 2-3.jpg1935 Rocking Horse Crown Obv 2-3.jpg

Difficult for me to tell, but if I had to choose I would go for the bottom one. No edge knocks and fewer marks on the fields. The obverse looks better than the reverse. But as for grade, no idea on this type of coin. 

I'd agree with you, Ian. Although I would note that the 2 coins are taken in very different lights, and so any bag marks and dings might be masked slightly by the over-exposure on the second example.

Overall, the second one looks a lot cleaner (neat and tidy, not cleaned!), the rim on the first one has it's fair share of knocks.

3 hours ago, IanB said:

Difficult for me to tell, but if I had to choose I would go for the bottom one. No edge knocks and fewer marks on the fields. The obverse looks better than the reverse. But as for grade, no idea on this type of coin. 

I agree with you about the edge knocks. Thanks for the input.

3 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I'd agree with you, Ian. Although I would note that the 2 coins are taken in very different lights, and so any bag marks and dings might be masked slightly by the over-exposure on the second example.

Overall, the second one looks a lot cleaner (neat and tidy, not cleaned!), the rim on the first one has it's fair share of knocks.

Yes the lighting is different as the first was as listed. but the second one are my photo's. The second one looks better in the photo's, but comparing them both in hand with lust the naked eye they are very similar. What I may do is take the photo's again with both Obv next to each other and the same for the Rev and see what you all think. I am leaning towards the second on myself.

We will let the Jury decide for me on this one after the new photo's are posted.

Right more pictures taken. Here are the two Obv together and will follow up with the Rev to compare.the first picture is of the earlier purchase and the second is the latest purchase.

1935 obv 5.jpg1935 obv 4.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1