British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

I have recently bought yet more coins. This is my latest a 1887 Crown this is now my second and It is a keeper, at last one I am happy with. Your comments please. I have also trying to get better with my pictures so am posting two sets of pictures of this coin first ones taken in daylight only. Would be interested to know what grade you would give this please.

1887 Crown Reverse Daylight 600.jpg

1887 Crown Obverse Daylight 600.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

This is the same Crown but taken in Daylight with some artificial lighting as well. What would be the best in your opinions.

1887 Crown Reverse Lit.jpg

1887 Crown Obverse Lit 600.jpg

Wow, delete those 2nd set of pictures B) The coin itself judging from the 1st pics looks nice although a fair few OBV/REV scratches, possibly cleaned

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

I agree with Dave. Probably the artificial light in the second pics is using standard incandescent bulbs, while daylight LEDs may be better

First set of pictures are much more realistic.  Coin looks good and better than EF, but someone has had a go at it with something abrasive - hence the hairlines.  Having said that, it's very difficult to find crowns without any hairlines.

Thanks for the comments I bought it from a recommended dealer and was described as almost BU and I would agree not sure if you all would agree. The hairlines do annoy me slightly but the overall appearance in hand is very nice, the hairlines don't show up as much in hand viewed with the naked eye. I'm pleased with it and will happily keep this one I think:unsure:

Few more to post for your appraisal and comments.

• Like 1

BU would be around a CGS 85-88 or an MS65, PCGS mark down on scratched surfaces and a possibility that CGS would also do the same and may even body bag it, I'd personlly give it aUNC, scratches detract (for me) but as long as you're happy with it that's what counts.....

I had a Matt proof Sovereign that I thought would come back at around a 64 but it had been wiped at the mint and left minor hairlines, it got a 62 which I thought was low

Edited by azda

44 minutes ago, azda said:

BU would be around a CGS 85-88 or an MS65, PCGS mark down on scratched surfaces and a possibility that CGS would also do the same and may even body bag it, I'd personlly give it aUNC, scratches detract (for me) but as long as you're happy with it that's what counts.....

I had a Matt proof Sovereign that I thought would come back at around a 64 but it had been wiped at the mint and left minor hairlines, it got a 62 which I thought was low

Thanks for your input much appreciated. I am learning every-time I get replies from you guys steep learning curve but I think I am getting there slowly. 

Well here is the next one an 1888/7 Shilling described as almost BU I really like this one as well. How well do you think I have done please. All comments welcome good or bad. Looks far better in hand than in the photo.

1888 Shilling Reverse.jpg1888 Shilling Obverse.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Both coins look very pretty although I would agree about the hairlines on the crown.  I have an 1895 crown graded GVF by the selling dealer which has circular hairlines on the reverse, in particular, that only become apparent on a large scale photo.  The coin's perfectly nice in hand and I'm happy with it for the price I paid.  

Your shilling's very nice and pleasing in my opinion, the obverse is particularly crisp and sharp.  Looks as if it has a slight pinkish tone on the reverse legends, does that appear to be the case in hand?

At least aUNC for the shilling for me. The crown has virtually no wear but I don't know how those hairlines might affect the grading.  

As a general rule I would say that most most dealers in my experience, even the forum recommended ones, will grade the same coin at least half a grade higher than our forum sages would.  The forum sages are strict and dispassionate whereas the likes of you and me probably have the rose tinted spectacles on being relative novices.  Azda is right though, if you are happy with the coins you have for the prices you've paid then that's the main thing.      T  

Here's the reverse of my 1895 crown showing the circular hairlines:

Q%20Crown%201895%20Reverse_zpsarexhlay.j

The obverse doesn't seem to be as badly afflicted:

Q%20Crown%201895%20Obverse_zpsalfuvsq2.j

Dealer graded it GVF but I think it's possibly slightly better (with my rose tinted spectacles on)!

28 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Here's the reverse of my 1895 crown showing the circular hairlines:

The obverse doesn't seem to be as badly afflicted:

Dealer graded it GVF but I think it's possibly slightly better (with my rose tinted spectacles on)!

I couldn't grade that higher than GVF personally, and I do think the hairlines affect its value, OH crowns are getting harder to find and very expensive in GEF+, I'm struggling to get a type example I am totally happy with.

This is my best so far, looking for better (graded as aUNC by a TPG who's name I can't mention for fear of psychological consequences)

1899_cr_lxii_02_01_cgs__uin_36860_1300.p

Edited by Paulus

45 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Your shilling's very nice and pleasing in my opinion, the obverse is particularly crisp and sharp.  Looks as if it has a slight pinkish tone on the reverse legends, does that appear to be the case in hand?

I am afraid this is not the case but very pleased with it. Its another keeper. I see what you mean with your Crown similar hairlines as mine. I can live with them its not as I am ever going to send my coin to be graded. I am just happy to get the best I can afford at the time of buying.

Very nice as usual Paulus, and I do agree with you about the grade of my own coin being GVF at best.  I wanted a decent enough example of an OH crown that didn't break the bank.  My current aspirations are more modest than yours!  

I paid £77 delivered, from CC about a year ago.  Not too bad or did I overpay significantly?  I never know whether it's considered poor form to talk about the cost on these threads so forgive me if so!

I don't think it's bad form to talk about prices paid, or where you go the coin from at all - in my view that is a platform this forum provides! Only need to be careful about inaccurate claims, opinions are fine and welcome in my view!

I'm not trying to dodge your question on price, just that I don't tend to look at lower grades much these days, especially those showing some evidence of cleaning. In my honest opinion I would have thought £50 would be a fairer price.

9 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I never know whether it's considered poor form to talk about the cost on these threads so forgive me if so!

As far as I am concerned I am happy to see price against a grade, as it helps to see if as a beginner your making the right judgment when buying. 

14 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I paid £77 delivered, from CC about a year ago.

Well I am not sure if I paid too much for mine now. Paid almost double for my Crown from the same seller as you.

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I don't think it's bad form to talk about prices paid, or where you go the coin from at all - in my view that is a platform this forum provides! Only need to be careful about inaccurate claims, opinions are fine and welcome in my view!

I'm not trying to dodge your question on price, just that I don't tend to look at lower grades much these days, especially those showing some evidence of cleaning. In my honest opinion I would have thought £50 would be a fairer price.

I agree.  I would always prepared say how much I've paid and to hear others' views on that amount.  Most of my coins have come from 3 or 4 online coin dealers and I've made two visits to the Midland Fair as well although I only bought five predecimal coins during those two visits.  Then again, the sums I'm paying for coins are an order of magnitude lower than some on here.  It's enlightening for me to see pictures of the excellent coins in your collection and those of other forum members.

I  appreciate your opinion regarding my coin, it helps me live and learn, although I'm currently not actively looking to upgrade any of mine.  I will be adding different types and perhaps hoping to buy more shrewdly on the price/grade spectrum.

Cheers!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Very nice as usual Paulus, and I do agree with you about the grade of my own coin being GVF at best.  I wanted a decent enough example of an OH crown that didn't break the bank.  My current aspirations are more modest than yours!  

I paid £77 delivered, from CC about a year ago.  Not too bad or did I overpay significantly?  I never know whether it's considered poor form to talk about the cost on these threads so forgive me if so!

Hello,

That is not a bad price. I paid for mine £50 (hammer price) last month in catawiki, and the quality is lower than yours - a clear VF, but not cleaned, and beginning of tone

Attached images for comparison

Looks better in photos than in hand, I have to admit

e6b24c8c-42ef-11e6-8cbc-aeb3e3db3028.jpg

e2b0d13a-42ef-11e6-9679-d775c3b12cd9.jpg

6 minutes ago, Leo said:

It's personal preference, but evidence of cleaning kills the eye appeal and value for me

3 minutes ago, Leo said:

Attached images for comparison

Looks better in photos than in hand, I have to admit

e6b24c8c-42ef-11e6-8cbc-aeb3e3db3028.jpg

e2b0d13a-42ef-11e6-9679-d775c3b12cd9.jpg

If those are the seller's pics then probably the seller has enhanced them, happens all the time

Here is my next coin an 1899 Sixpence similar grade as the 1888 coin hope you like it.

1899 Sixpence Reverse.jpg1899 Sixpence Obverse.jpg

Last coin is my 1887 Shilling described as GEF cost £18 was this ok price

1887 Shilling Reverse.jpg1887 Shilling Obverse.jpg

These are so common in high grade that you should be able to pick up a better one for under a tenner, based on those pics - sorry! At least it wasn't a big purchase!