British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all,

Purchased this coin a few months back and im just getting round to posting pics on here- its a beauty but it was sold to me as being in EF condition, and when i got it in the mail i immediately noticed a particular point of wear on the rim, also it is 0.20g underweight. What do you think- Yay or nay?

IMG_20160730_141843411.jpg

Also there is this point on the coin that looks ,only in my view,as if it were silver plated and at this point the plate is damaged revealing the matrial underneath- I am 99% sure this is NOT the case, its just that that's the best way i can find to describe it. Here it is again:

IMG_20160730_142042477.jpg

IMG_20160730_141847106.jpg

IMG_20160730_141927983.jpg

Heres the area of most wear on the rim:

IMG_20160730_142112712.jpg

Edited by Conor44

Nice coin but just comparing the obverse to the "Grading British Coins" book I would agree with you that it is not EF (more like gVF), and it has the fault.

It looks genuine to me, but I am no expert.

Cheers Garrett.

Hi Garrett, the obverse does seem to be of  a slightly lesser grade to the reverse which is most definitely EF... What happens if one side is , say GVF and the other EF?

Then you go with the lower grade. But this is generally the case with these G4 half crowns. I think the coin genuine with an unfortunate edge "pinch" that further detracts from grade and value & do not believe on what we see that it is plated. VF money would be generous and I would be just as happy (or happier) to return that bit.

Think I'll keep it as the back really is nice- I knew it wasn't EF though as soon as I saw it. CambridgeshireCoins was the dealer

1 hour ago, Conor44 said:

Think I'll keep it as the back really is nice- I knew it wasn't EF though as soon as I saw it. CambridgeshireCoins was the dealer

Yikes

45 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yikes

I'm guessing a bad experience or two then? What was yours as a matter of interest? It is my belief that 'dealers' like this should be 'named and shamed' as they say...

Just now, Conor44 said:

I'm guessing a bad experience or two then? What was yours as a matter of interest? It is my belief that 'dealers' like this should be 'named and shamed' as they say...

I agree but reluctant to name and shame in case of repercussions to be honest! Just one bad experience, and not too expensive, but it was enough! Mine was just a low value coin, a G3 graded as EF that was more like nVF, an early mistake.

I agree but I have bought nice coins at the Midland from this dealer. 

11 hours ago, Conor44 said:

So why buy it if you knew it wasn't EF? The patchy toning on the OBV detracts for me also, but i'd agree that it's definitely not EF The link attached was graded as NEF and for me is a big improvement on the piece you have, i'd personally ask the seller to have it back, what did you pay for it?

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/img.php?a=151&l=2620&f=o&s=l

6 hours ago, azda said:

So why buy it if you knew it wasn't EF? The patchy toning on the OBV detracts for me also, but i'd agree that it's definitely not EF The link attached was graded as NEF and for me is a big improvement on the piece you have, i'd personally ask the seller to have it back, what did you pay for it?

I see the same dealer has one on at the moment at £125 and described as GVF. I know many argue grading is subjective but this does seem a little optimistic to me. Personally, I would have thought GF nearer the mark.http://www.cambridgeshirecoins.com/epages/es121869.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es121869/Products/%221826%20HALFCROWN%20%28%20GVF%20%29%22

Regarding coin at the head of this discussion, I would agree with Garrett; GVF with problems.

Ouch! Yes, agreed on that as well. I mean a Glens half crown in the "good ole days" at GVF would still have lustre and NO problems, probably on order of a 50-55 at PCGS or NGC.

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

I see the same dealer has one on at the moment at £125 and described as GVF. I know many argue grading is subjective but this does seem a little optimistic to me. Personally, I would have thought GF nearer the mark.http://www.cambridgeshirecoins.com/epages/es121869.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es121869/Products/%221826%20HALFCROWN%20%28%20GVF%20%29%22

Regarding coin at the head of this discussion, I would agree with Garrett; GVF with problems.

Yikes, so if a GVF is £125 I just wonder how much the OP paid for the EF coin...... 

Actually about only £20 more thank God! GVF with problems seems a little harsh- the only small 'problem' is the little edge pinch. The coin IS nearly 200 years old after all

11 hours ago, azda said:

I meant as soon as I saw it in person

No extra marks for a coin of this vintage, at least as far as that goes. VF with issues is as far as I would go. 

Here's one which LCA recently graded as GVF.

img.jpg

Never saw a GVF with lustre before though I can see apparent wear in the hair. So you're telling  me that if a 200 yr old coin has dark toning it downgrades it?

8 hours ago, VickySilver said:

No extra marks for a coin of this vintage, at least as far as that goes. VF with issues is as far as I would go. 

Could you please enlighten me on the 'issues' this coin has? I know it's not an ef but that's only wear?

The outer Rim look worn as does the milled edge. Also there looks like damage just beneath the last A in Gratia. Portrait looks ok however from my experience the coinage of G IV was very well made. For the £20 you paid you cant go wrong. I'd value the coin at around £100. 

Again as a comparison here my EF 1825 Halfcrown - Ex Slaney Collection

1825-halfcrown.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

The outer Rim look worn as does the milled edge. Also there looks like damage just beneath the last A in Gratia. Portrait looks ok however from my experience the coinage of G IV was very well made. For the £20 you paid you cant go wrong. I'd value the coin at around £100. 

Again as a comparison here my EF 1825 Halfcrown - Ex Slaney Collection

1825-halfcrown.jpg

How much as a matter of interest

I have it available on my website at £525.

Really don't want to belabour it, but the edge pinch, the milling and rim as MH said. And at least I am not talking about whether the coin has tone or not as that does not enter into it IMO (except that too much dipping is a bad thing). Also, the bust device simply has more wear than an EF.

You'll be buying slabbed coins soon and getting ROYALLY RIPPED.;).  44 keep looking for raw coins. Anything you like at auctions will be most likely be bidded up by others. I reckon a few fairs where you can roll up your sleeves and get stuck in will be a good day out. There is one dealer at the Midland who I always visit early who doesn't really appreciate the coins I like. If he's bought them cheaply you can get some great deals. The coins in the lighted trays in front of the dealer will have already been picked over by other dealers before the fair started so ask for other trays to look at.....ummm take a flask of coffee and enjoy yourself. You've taken a lot of flak and well done Sir...as Pete says Hat off:)

• Like 2