British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

Carbon spot.

I have an early milled shilling with what appears to be a carbon spot on it.  Can carbon spots be wholly or partially removed from sterling silver?

Edited by Stuntman

I don't think it's possible to remove carbon spots..

Well after going on about the spot the coin was rejected for Field Damage :)

Will look at the coin when i receive it back as by getting coins rejected i learn more than the ones ok.

That is one of the reasons i have sent them to cgs ,not just for the grade but the condition.

Fortunately i sent another 1918 that was ok and graded 82 so happy with that one .

Pete.

:D 

Do CGS reject for field damage even when the damage is from the mint? Like a lamination error or a dodgy planchet.

Not got a clue Matt as i wouldnt buy them in the first place and have never sent one.

If it was an error though i assume it would be graded as normal if damage from the mint and just listed with all the other errors.

On 24/08/2016 at 7:11 AM, Nordle11 said:

:D 

Do CGS reject for field damage even when the damage is from the mint? Like a lamination error or a dodgy planchet.

The old CGS website gave a list of things they would reject a coin. These included flan flaw, flan crack, lamination, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sword said:

The old CGS website gave a list of things they would reject a coin. These included flan flaw, flan crack, lamination, etc. 

The latter would be interesting in the case of some Victorian decimal patterns as they only occur on a laminating flan. I suspect a little flexibility would apply here.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

The latter would be interesting in the case of some Victorian decimal patterns as they only occur on a laminating flan. I suspect a little flexibility would apply here.

I suppose they would be flexible in this case. They have been flexible enough with slabbing rare pennies with verdigris providing the grades are low.

I think either Tom or Coinery has mentioned before how would they deal with hammered coins with small flan cracks. Guess we might never find out due to the lack of hammered coins submitted  to them.