British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

CGS v LCGS

8 hours ago, freewheels said:

Also any comments on my TPG comments. I am not a big slabber and generally unexcited by the concept, however I think this crown needs to be attributed correctly and so to that point?:

Do you think LCGS, NGC or PCGS???

Here's your problem: LCGS are not satisfactory due to their conflict of interest (they will grade lower than other TPGs unless selling it themselves); NGC and PCGS might not pick up on what is a fairly obscure variety, especially as you want possible unrecorded further details attributed. You'd probably be better off submitting it to an expert in the field for comment, rather than a TPG.

• Like 1

"they will grade lower than other TPGs unless selling it themselves"

not sure about this. From the coins I have viewed with UINs 40,000+ (around the time of the change from CGS to LCGS) they tend to grade more loosely, probably since their new pricing structure based on a percentage of the coin's perceived value came into play. There is an incentive for them to upgrade, boost the value and thus boost their charges.

I have crossed over dozens of CGS coins to PCGS and NGC and overall find the grading stricter with the US companies these days.

You'd probably be better off submitting it to an expert in the field.

Who would you suggest?

Maurice Bull?? Email him with pictures?

For the record, CGS's death certificate:

cgs - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Terrible and a very sad day :(

Hardly. Bunch of crooks bad tempered people with a severe conflict of interests.

25 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Hardly. Bunch of crooks bad tempered people with a severe conflict of interests.

Please dont kick me why i am down Peck :(

It's more like they have just changed their name by deed poll rather than actual death in any case. 

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Terrible and a very sad day :(

Maybe Pete, but I think we'd seen it coming? :mellow:

Yes its such a shame that they have added another letter on the ticket and all my others are looking so much out of place :(

12 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes its such a shame that they have added another letter on the ticket and all my others are looking so much out of place :(

Ahh, does this just mean that CGS no longer exist, but LCGS carry on regardless? Not quite so significant in that case. :)

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Please dont kick me why i am down Peck :(

Ah, sorry - I didn't realise you were personally so badly affected. :(

CGS-LCGS you say Potato I say Patato:D

Previously was a bit like the split personality of Gollum and Sméagol  

Now just a bit like Gollum. 

Sorry, just can't resist having another poke at them now that they have officially dissolved. :D

Really just a name change, mostly same personnel, nothing to get too het up about. 

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Ah, sorry - I didn't realise you were personally so badly affected. :(

Thats ok Peck.

I think it was the initial shock and am now able to condole myself with the happy memories :)

27 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats ok Peck.

I think it was the initial shock and am now able to condole myself with the happy memories :)

You don't know, CGS slabs may end up like the USA TPG black  slabs and command a premium

35 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats ok Peck.

Its to late now .

I have been up all night breaking them all out :(

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its to late now .

I have been up all night breaking them all out :(

I hope it's my hangover that makes me think you aren't kidding :)

Sorry to reopen this old topic up. But someone asked about getting coins graded by PCGS. Back in 2016 the only offering was London Coins. They did and still do submit coins for you, but charge a hefty 80% on top of the fee. A man is doing it on Facebook with NGC, only a few pounds fee over the grading fee but some coins have taken 5 months to come back

I joined PCGS Europe for £69, I just had 49 coins graded, with insurance and postage to France and back it worked out to be £24.60 a coin. Total turn around was 31 days. Ok I never got the grades I wanted on some, (Who does) but the experience was good and went without a hitch. I will use them in future to grade my coins.