British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

CGS v LCGS

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at Company House, which is a government website. It appears that CGS has only just applied to have itself struck off and will be dissolved in two months time. Technically, it is still active at the moment.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05485615/filing-history

As far as one can tell, LCGS is not a company but is simply a department of London Coins. 

Not that any of this actually matters but I thought I would share it anyway.

• Like 1

Ok- you buy a coin you like.

When you want to look at it, you look at it.

It may be worth more than you paid for it, maybe not.

Maybe you just like having it.

Sometimes, of course, the finding was more fun than the owning.....

Maybe you'll sell it one day.

The new owner can see it, and decide what to pay for it.

Like you did.......

Now, will anyone please tell me why you want someone else to look at it for a ridiculous fee?

And charge you to look at a picture of it on line????????

Emperor's new clothes.  A ridiculous system preying on people's insecurities.

I will NEVER have something slabbed.    Ever.

If the system was PERFECT, it would still be pointless.....

• Like 4

I've seen far nicer coins unslabbed than the "better" slabbed versions, time and again.

You only have to look at the "acquisition of the week" thread here to see that slabbing is totally pointless and unnecessary ... with the exception of say the elusive Churchill satin and other mythical beasts, where a professional opinion/grading/slabbing might ensure continued recognition of said coin.

• Like 2

Slabbing is just someone having a SimplyMed moment ;)

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, markflorida said:

If you are grading coins for yourself or just to sell locally then of course getting them graded here in the UK. But if you have valuable coins and would want to one day collect the rewards of your investment. One should clearly use NGC or PCGS. The world market and auction all acknowledge NGC & PCGS. If you look at auction prices alone they command much more at the fall of the hammer.

If I buy a LCGS I will downgrade it myself by at least two grades and only pay the lower price, then get them graded again by NGC. I am often correct and receive them back from NGC with a lower grade. On one occasion NGC called it cleaned. LCGS missed it!

A high value coin collector will NOT take the LCGS grades seriously. 

However I have managed to steal some great bargains on higher value coins, simply because others do not trust the LCGS grade and won't fight for them at auction. Then I get them graded by NGC, yes lower grade but still a large profit if I was going to sell.

OMG...don't talk about 'making a profit'  on here ! ....

5 hours ago, Colin88 said:

OMG...don't talk about 'making a profit'  on here ! ....

Sorry lol

I have a 1662 crown (no rose) that has some unusual frosted areas as well as the JR curl and extra neck curl, I think ESC 20A but more frosting; should I submit to LCGS rather than PCGS because this will need too be researched in Bull and maybe other sources because there is more frosting over more parts of the coin and ties are different to photo given of ESC 20A?? Also complicated by hairlines on the obverse; nonetheless I think an interesting and probably rare coin in a decent state of preservation despite the hairlines.1662 crown 1.jpg

obverse with frosted wreath ties and letteringand the jr extra curls to neck and bottom of bust..1662 crown 2.jpg

you need to up the reso on your scan bud image is very small and cannot really see anything.Logic would say send to LCGS as it is an English coin and that is their field but I don't like or trust their grading criteria but that is just me. Plenty of collectors use them and they are still in business but I would pop a footnote of your findings in if you do send it off. Weather they take any notice is another thing altogether :)

We should be able sort it out on here. Just post a high res picture that has been cropped to make the coin occupy the full width and height of the image. You might have to resize it to fit the 500kB maximum size. That will give approx. 78% of the image made up of coin with which we can do something. The current useful area is 2% ish.

Edited by Rob

5 hours ago, freewheels said:

obverse with frosted wreath ties and letteringand the jr extra curls to neck and bottom of bust..1662 crown 2.jpg

As others have said try a better picture or drop into a local coin show or coin dealer in your area and get a second point of view to see if how much the cloak frosting is with curl on neck. It is a wonderful looking coin, well done. If you are miles from a dealer LCGS will determine this for you, its worth sending it to them for verification.

Thanks Michael -Roo and Nonmortus!

These images show the cloak frosting and obverse letter frosting clearly as well as both of the extra curls!

I think the coin is an example of Rayner ESC 20A, Bull ESC 350 but also shows additional frosting since ESC 20A is only described as cloak frosting..

Possible wreath and tie frosting.

Note also position of ties that are possibly not consistent with image in Bull; however 11 harp strings are consistent.

I don't think there is any reverse frosting but I'm not sure as not an expert (obviously).

I really need to know to photograph/scan my coins better!

My concern with NGC or PCGS is that they will slab as ESC 20 (VF or EF details for example, because of obverse hairlines) and miss the point...

I live in California, how do I submit to LCGS, the membership thing and all that and if I can submit a letter with my observations so that they don't overlook stuff that you think would be obvious to professional graders but isn't always...it has happened to me and others and can they deal with hairlines???

I really do appreciate everyone's input!!

Freewheels.

3 hours ago, freewheels said:

I really need to know to photograph/scan my coins better!

You got there in the end - remember to scan or photograph at the highest resolution possible, then crop (and if necessary rotate) the image so just the coin shows. Free software - e.g. Apple's Preview supplied as standard with Macs, or Microsoft's Paint (if still supplied with Windows) - will do that kind of basic stuff.

35 minutes ago, Peckris said:

You got there in the end - remember to scan or photograph at the highest resolution possible, then crop (and if necessary rotate) the image so just the coin shows. Free software - e.g. Apple's Preview supplied as standard with Macs, or Microsoft's Paint (if still supplied with Windows) - will do that kind of basic stuff.

On Microsoft better than Paint is Photoscape, which is also free if you stick to the basic package. Cropping is much better - even allows circular cropping, and has many Photoshop features for adjusting brightness, balance etc. It's resize function - essential for getting into the 500Kb limit here - is also easy.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Paddy said:

On Microsoft better than Paint is Photoscape, which is also free if you stick to the basic package. Cropping is much better - even allows circular cropping, and has many Photoshop features for adjusting brightness, balance etc. It's resize function - essential for getting into the 500Kb limit here - is also easy.

Agreed I would be lost without my photoscape. Even to do that 1/2 degree rotation to straighten the coin up is so valuable for picture presentation. Most programs don't do such small rotations. I would recommend it to anyone especially being a free program:D

• Like 1

How do you do ½° rotation on Photoscape? I've been using it for years and never spotted this feature.

4 minutes ago, bagerap said:

How do you do ½° rotation on Photoscape? I've been using it for years and never spotted this feature.

On the "Home" panel just to the left of the Rotate 90 degree arrows is a rectangle with an angled line through it. If you click on this it allows you to rotate by any specified number of degrees. (In the pop up window I think you need to ensure you are in simple "Rotate" and not "Level Off" at the top left corner, otherwise it seems to crop at the same time.)

Well you learn something every day. I have never heard of Photoscape, I have always used Photoshop. Just downloaded it to have a look and its far better than I thought it would be.

Will be having a play with it over the next few days, but from what I have seen so far it will be very useful indeed. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bagerap said:

yes what i do is click the split quarter rotation icon the first of the 4 and in the mini pop up window click the second box tab and then click the first box tab twice alternately and then do your adjustment. As it doesn't seem to save if you just click left tab and adjust. 2nd tab will rotate and enlarge the view at the same time. I suspect that is not for whole coin pics but for getting a good close up of a particular area. As I wrote this last part the penny dropped lmao. I have been using it for years:lol::rolleyes:

I'm using the free version v3.7 and I see none of this

Edit: Well I'll be b******d! I've been using this for at least five years and never spotted that.  Beers all round.

Edited by bagerap
Half a decade of stupidity.

11 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Agreed I would be lost without my photoscape. Even to do that 1/2 degree rotation to straighten the coin up is so valuable for picture presentation. Most programs don't do such small rotations. I would recommend it to anyone especially being a free program:D

In Mac's iPhoto or Photos, you can rotate in 0.6º increments. I've never found the 0.1º difference to be observable!

Hi, I'm going to  try that Photoscape, sounds like I can get better coin pictures that wayB)

Also any comments on my TPG comments. I am not a big slabber and generally unexcited by the concept, however I think this crown needs to be attributed correctly and so to that point?:

Do you think LCGS, NGC or PCGS???