British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

George V 1911 - 1919 Type Collecting

It has taken me a good long while to find a circulation half crown I am happy with, when it comes to grade, strike and eye appeal.

I have now done so and the half crowns that did not make the grade so-to-speak are up for sale (not on eBay as yet)

I now want to do the same for circulation 1911-1919 Florins

This is not my best example, and it is a rarer date, but it illustrates well what I am after - a much stronger set of lions' faces at 12 o/c on the reverse!

If any of you out there know of a better one or have one for sale please PM me :)   . 

1912_fl_01_s331_01_sellers.jpg

Edited by Paulus

Good luck the mint quality of the florins seems worse than the halfcrown. Just looking at one of my 1912 florins in light of your post and decided it was a little worse than yours flatter ear but the reverse is about the same as yours. One thing that struck me (excuse the pun) was the milling which is almost pristine as is the edge of the milling where it meets the struck faces of the obverse and reverse of the coin which indicates to me that the main problem with higher grades of this series of florins is the strike quality. I have seen plenty of CGS 75 examples of these coins with the lions at 12 o' clock almost non existent flat ear lobes etc.  Apart from the 1911 proof the strike quality was poor until 1924 with a bit of an improvement for the 1921 issues.

I agree with that Oz, but keeping the faith that there are better strikes out there!

This is unlikely to be my keeper,but nonetheless interested in views on this!

1918_fl_01_01_1300.jpg

Edited by Paulus

What is the condition of the milling?  The fields of the coin seem to have a fair amount of lustre and the lower lions, harp , and RH lion seem pretty good. The king's head is deeply struck hence the ghosting on the reverse. However on the obverse the ear and beard are weak but the eyebrow seems to be struck which along with the ear is one of the first areas to wear. I think the flattening on the ear and beard are mostly due to a weak strike.

I think the 1912 coin is sharper than the 1918 coin.  It has more eye appeal to me, from the photos.

Here is my only example of florins of this period a 1916. Please forgive the photo as I am so used to working with Bronze and find silver is a totally different animal to capture correctly. The coin is much nicer in hand.

1916 Silver Florin for page.jpg

• Like 2

This us my best example but as you can see the top lions still don't have much detail on them.1919-florin.jpg

• Like 1

I think bhx7's coin has the sharpest reverse so far.  Here's my 1916, which is probably the least impressive specimen on the thread!  Still quite nice in hand, though.

N%20Florin%201916%20Obverse_zpswhzsfkjn.

N%20Florin%201916%20Reverse_zpsh2bozfq1.

These are difficult for sure, I'm sure there are collectors on here that have got examples they acquired 20-30 years ago for a pittance, let's see em!

Anyway the search goes on for me, here is my best Rev currently, let's have some more healthy competition :)

1914_fl_01_rev_04_600.png

This is the best I have, taking both sides into account.

D1737.jpg

Edited by Nick
Picture failed to show, added as attachment.
  • Like 2

Nice one Nick, that takes the lead in my book! :)

Thanks.  I'm not sure there are any currency florins out there with perfectly formed lions' faces, even some of the proofs do not.

http://wybrit.com/Museum/Florin%20Catalogue_6.htm. Found this site that may be of some use as it shows a selection of George V florins along with their grading according to the author. The 1914 florin shown in Nick's post is by far the best example of this series I have seen and must have been struck early in the die's life.