British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

1966 Dot on Trident Penny

In all the excitement (irony) about the 1963 wavy lines penny, I have a better look at my spare QE 2 pennies. None have wavy lines, missing waves or any other exotica. However, one does have a dot on the centre prong of the trident, rather like the other 'dot' pennies of the past. Pic below.

1966 Penny Dot.jpg

Cannot really see it. 

Hard to see Dave. Is it similar to the 1922 dot on trident?

It is not like the 1922. It has the dot halfway down, in the middle of the trident tine.

Well that leaves me out i cant really see it on a big picture ,so would have no chance looking at a coin :)

Sorry Bob I knew that, I mean is this dot on the trident or in the field? 

• Like 1

Given all the lustre, I don't think I can get it much clearer. In size it is quite small, about a quarter the size of a border bead, and is oval nor round. It's not in the centre of the trident, but towards the left edge of the centre prong. I'm not holding my breath that its a major find. It just stood out as different from the other 1966 pennies all of which have a flat face to the trident.

Wow, that could be almost anything, and not necessarily intended (i.e. Die chip, etc.)

I doubt it was intended. However, it is clearly a symmetric, smooth oval shape and has no sharp edges or any other features, so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it. It certainly isn't there on any of the others I have.

Edited by DaveG38

I haven't even looked at any of my QEII pennies yet for any wavy anomolies, etc... last time I did look I found this dot inside the O of ONE on a 1962 Penny.

wwwwww.jpg