British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all,

Acquired this coin from a local antique dealer who doesn't specialize in coins and only keeps a few, its a beautiful Elizabeth I shilling, I think clipped slightly. Im not an expert on hammereds so I would appreciate if anyone could tell me the type, year, value etc and most importantly if it looks alright (I know there are forgeries about).

Any help much appreciated,

Conor

IMG_20160726_193424.jpgIMG_20160726_193434.jpgIMG_20160726_193640.jpg

looks like mm tun (1592-1595) Sixth Issue 1582 - 1600 (s.2577)

i cant enlarge the images enough but overall looks like a good coin

Hi  Conor44,

A fairly good example, about very fine, with weakness on the obverse legend at about 3 o'clock, which most likely corresponds with a weak area at 11 o'clock on the reverse.  The flan is a little irregular, which is normal for the hammered series so may not be clipped.  The weight should be around 6 grams or 93 grains for the shilling.  Elizabeth silver shillings of this issue are fairly common and not worth a fortune.  My copy of Spink values this coin at fine 110 to VF 450.  Of course, that's a dealer estimate 

The weakness on both sides seriously damages value and hints of a jewelry mount. IMO 200 euros is an expensive mistake.