British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

What would you do ?.

Wide open question :)

Three to four years ago i decided to buy a few pennies to put away for eighteen years or so.

I didnt have a clue and learned quite alot since and continue to do so.

The problem is buying a few got a bit out of hand and now struggling to find anything really as some varieties etc i am missing are unlikely to turn up often.

Anyway its given me an interest,meeting new people,forum,speaking to auctioneers,dealers who have helped me so much.

Would you turn to another denomination,key dates,patterns,proofs and the list goes on or just be happy to keep looking for the odd one to purchase.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Reminds me of what they like to say in auto racing circles: "how fast do you want to go" when they really mean "how much money do you want to spend"? Why not do all of the above? Some of us, well me, don't have to much to sort out in our series so find other bits and bobs to collect....

Personally I love collecting coins so I would choose an area that interests me, research it, and start acquiring (while still looking for those elusive penny gaps!)

• Like 1

Just collect what you want. Buy as many or as few as you want. There are no rules.

Most people stop due to either having completed, or being frustrated due to an inability to complete. Widen your horizon and it is likely you will be pushing up the daisies before you find nothing to buy. All assuming that you still want to collect, of course.

I refocussed because the pace of acquisition had slowed dramatically. Still didn't stop me creating a 'Too nice to sell' category though, so I guess I still kept part of the original focus.

• Like 1

Is this collection for you, as a hobby and pastime,  Pete, or just to put away and forget, as an investment? If the former, the world is your oyster and buy what you like. Personally I like a well documented series where there are plenty available but also great rarities to be sought.  Larger silver would appeal if I had the money, or gold hammered,  wonderful. Or with beautiful designs and the hope of finding something new, maybe Celtic or early Anglo Saxon sceats. 

If for investment,  whatever top quality material ticks the rarity , provenance and visual appeal boxes, less of a challenge as there is always something about if outlay is not a big issue.

Go to a fair and have a wander.  Good luck!

Jerry

Edited by jelida
Wander for wonder. Maybe both apply.

I started Jerry as it coincided with my grand daughter being born and just thought i would buy a few to put away until she was 18/21and give me a bit of an interest.

Definately not an investment although not totally mad to not hope for the return to be ok for her.

Moving on anything i am buying now apart from possibly the odd one will just be for myself.

Thank you for the above replies :)

Pete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Wide open question :)

Three to four years ago i decided to buy a few pennies to put away for eighteen years or so.

I didnt have a clue and learned quite alot since and continue to do so.

The problem is buying a few got a bit out of hand and now struggling to find anything really as some varieties etc i am missing are unlikely to turn up often.

Anyway its given me an interest,meeting new people,forum,speaking to auctioneers,dealers who have helped me so much.

Would you turn to another denomination,key dates,patterns,proofs and the list goes on or just be happy to keep looking for the odd one to purchase.

Pete.

I started like that. I only collect 1887 Victoria Uk. 10 years later and 200 different ones in the collection still over 100 to buy. When you think you have done it write the book. Yes over 340 to find

• Like 1

In your posistion Pete, I think I would look to collect another denomination whilst waiting patiently for any further penny acquisitions.  I'd choose one which I thought had plenty of visual appeal to me.  Given you have some very high quality bronze (and copper too??), I would choose a silver denomination for a bit of variety.  Florins and (particularly) Halfcrowns would provide you with plenty of interest I would think.  

I'd love to have nice examples of each type of halfcrown from 1817 to 1967, especially with some of the scarce/rare years thrown in.  A similar size to your pennies as well :)

Why not look out for rarities, in whichever denomination, the gothic crown would be a good starting point, then look around, there are a couple of 1854 shillings i know of coming up for sale in MS65 grades, 1 i believe in St James and another in the Heritage sale.....

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 20.22.32.png

Pete   Join the  "Died in wool" of type/whateveryerfancy gang. Paulus and myself have. My main focus is/was farthings but last knockings are elusive/too expensive.

Find a series,research and enjoy...get your wallet out. Have you ever considered 1/2d's ? A handsome coin and you can nip back to 1672 for your coppers. (Keep away from tin)

What about 1ds 1797 to 1860 (Georges and Williams good value)

Its a tricky one .

For all the help i am most gratefull and the forum members know who you are.

Thanks for the replies 1887 jubilee,stuntman , Dave and Peter.

I am not in any rush and will be giving it some thought as my initial plan was just to look at key dates of any denomination but then feel my grading knowledge of other coins (zero :D ) would take me back were i started .

The more obvious one is halfpennies........but not sure.

Peter there are still alot missing as you could go on forever with varieties and minor date widths some of which i am not bothered about,but i do have most of the copper 1797-60

I found looking at the Bramah numbers fascinating also and have spent about eighteen months on them.

Think the problem is i am always wanting to buy something coin wise :o

Pete.

Buying silver of any denomination from reputable dealers or auction houses and you shouldn't really make any serious errors, just making sure you don't go overboard (as is the case with any purchase or auction) on the price, check realised prices of the coin you're maybe thinking about and take it from there...

The alternative is perhaps sovereigns as they'll always retain their intrinsic value

I find myself diversifying into things significantly different to my main interests, to keep me interested. My latest diversion is local tokens, and I've found myself looking at historic medals too. You could even consider something like banknotes :ph34r: 

I like the risk of these bad boys and have knocked a few home runs. 

http://goldprice.org/gold-price-uk.html

But for fun only unlike the Labour twit/buffoon/wnkr/ etc

5 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

I find myself diversifying into things significantly different to my main interests, to keep me interested. My latest diversion is local tokens, and I've found myself looking at historic medals too. You could even consider something like banknotes :ph34r: 

You heading to the paper dark side Ian!!!!!!! :o

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete sure you will find something you like. Half pennies I would definately say was a good way to go. Similar to pennies with some brilliant rarities and variants to boot. I find it great knowing I can cover the same years with all the bronze coinage so have the farthings too. Its been a learning curve for me and loads more to learn which keeps me on my toes. I am also finding that I am now picking up nice silver coins when I come across them at reasonable prices especially the beginning and end of reign coins (probably because they have been hoarded and so are cheaper and better condition).

I'm sure you will find something you enjoy and will also manage to fill those missing gaps. As you have told me before you don't have to rush into anything. Always appreciated your advice and help. Cheers

Brian

45 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

You heading to the paper dark side Ian!!!!!!! :o

I have a few, I'll clear my desk now :(  

• Like 2

I quite understand Pete.  As my fussiness has increased, the number of my purchases has decreased. One year I bought just two coins.

Then Daughter was studying the French revolution and I got interested in the symbol of the Republic, Marianne.  She's obviously used widely on French (and French colonial) coins.  But also other 'revolutionary' states, such as Cuba, Civil War era Spain.  Plus of course, the US.  They come in copper, silver, nickel brass, aluminium, zinc ...

It provided me with a new theme, the coins are generally cheap (you can add in advertising tokens, jetons and American Civil War Tokens if you like ..)

Not suggesting you do the same.  Just that you might like to look beyond one denomination or nation for something that takes your fancy?

Mariannes.jpg

Intersting thing about my own area of interest, sixpences, is that the more I delve into it and the more I buy, the more I find to buy. In fact my 'buy list' seems to get longer and not shorter as I identify this or that variety. Also, I have no problem in buying multiple examples of the same coin and I am always looking to upgrade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

Intersting thing about my own area of interest, sixpences, is that the more I delve into it and the more I buy, the more I find to buy. In fact my 'buy list' seems to get longer and not shorter as I identify this or that variety. Also, I have no problem in buying multiple examples of the same coin and I am always looking to upgrade. 

Yes and we all know how many different 1887 sixpences there are!

16 minutes ago, 1887jubilee said:

Yes and we all know how many different 1887 sixpences there are!

Indeed .... and I don't have them all yet.

I'd look further afield - I started collecting Australian coins but there are plenty of other interesting Commonwealth things to collect and I've found it hard to stay focused. I like to collect coins and part of that is acquiring new coins.

On 26/07/2016 at 5:07 AM, 1887jubilee said:

I started like that. I only collect 1887 Victoria Uk. 10 years later and 200 different ones in the collection still over 100 to buy. When you think you have done it write the book. Yes over 340 to find

Gosh I didn't realise it was that many - I guess that includes all the gold mintmarks and varieties?

Farthings :)

5 hours ago, jacinbox said:

Farthings :)

Did someone call? :D

Why don't you try with hammered coinage ? .. You will always find cheap coins that you haven't got ... And it is and incredible source to study european history ... 

Thanks Matteo.

Think i might go to the Wakefield show in the morning and have a look round to get a better idea.

Not really sure what to do and not in any rush.

Being at a show might allow me to buy something as not bought a coin for two week :)