British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, phil2uk said:

i will stick with auction price guide will let u all know when it goes up for sale

It's a nice coin and a genuine error IMO. I will be surprised if it sells for under £100.

So my Peck 2171 Nickle: thin flan R20 is not worth a lot.:(

50 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So my Peck 2171 Nickle: thin flan R20 is not worth a lot.:(

There is a difference between strikings on a wrong flan that inadvertently got into the blank bucket and another on a properly sized size blank but an off-metal strike, and more so if there are any records. If the flan fits the dies then it is much more likely to be intentional.

The problem with wrong sized flans is that they are totally random and can be worth all or nothing on the day. It is also helpful if the mint was not striking many coins for third parties at the time, which I suspect would apply in your case. Post-war there were a lot of contracts with foreign governments and a noticeable increase in the number of wrong flan strikings, but prior to WW2 a lot of empire coins were done by Heatons, so RM off metal strikes are considerably rarer. The visual impact will invariably have an effect on desirability.

My example of a wrong flan is a 1967 florin on a Burundi 10Fr piece which is slightly small and 2/3 of the correct weight for a florin. It cost £1.79 incl. P&P on Ebay about 10 years ago. Not much to look at and didn't break the bank.

• Like 2

Exactly, I like OMS like the 1946 copper nickel 6d, shillings through halfcrown and the Nicholson  nickel 1920 1/2d - those are relatively big money items.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob said:

There is a difference between strikings on a wrong flan that inadvertently got into the blank bucket and another on a properly sized size blank but an off-metal strike, and more so if there are any records. If the flan fits the dies then it is much more likely to be intentional.

The problem with wrong sized flans is that they are totally random and can be worth all or nothing on the day. It is also helpful if the mint was not striking many coins for third parties at the time, which I suspect would apply in your case. Post-war there were a lot of contracts with foreign governments and a noticeable increase in the number of wrong flan strikings, but prior to WW2 a lot of empire coins were done by Heatons, so RM off metal strikes are considerably rarer. The visual impact will invariably have an effect on desirability.

My example of a wrong flan is a 1967 florin on a Burundi 10Fr piece which is slightly small and 2/3 of the correct weight for a florin. It cost £1.79 incl. P&P on Ebay about 10 years ago. Not much to look at and didn't break the bank.

RM suggested that it was minted on an Irish 6d flan, a mention in Peck should count for something though.