British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

We have a unique coin  possibly the only one in the world

The coin is a Nigerian three pence piece which has been struck between a British three pence die 

It has been analysed at the royal mint museum

The museum sent us this back

Examination by x-ray fluorescence spectrometry has confirmed that this is an error in production where by a nickel-brass blank, which would normally be used in the production of Nigerian three pence piece, appears to have been struck between British three pence dies

Assistant curater

The royal mint museum

they have never seen a coin like this

will not let me up load picture

email me for pictures phillipcondliffe@yahoo.co.uk

Which according to my research should put the planchet at about 3.25 gm? Please check. The ordinary Brit 3d is about 6.6; however, the RM was fast and furious with planchet production on these and I have near piefort examples approaching 9 gm down to about 4 gm by recollection.

Nice bit there, but don't get overexcited.

48 minutes ago, phil2uk said:

We have a unique coin  possibly the only one in the world

The coin is a Nigerian three pence piece which has been struck between a British three pence die 

It has been analysed at the royal mint museum

The museum sent us this back

Examination by x-ray fluorescence spectrometry has confirmed that this is an error in production where by a nickel-brass blank, which would normally be used in the production of Nigerian three pence piece, appears to have been struck between British three pence dies

Assistant curater

The royal mint museum

they have never seen a coin like this

3 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Which according to my research should put the planchet at about 3.25 gm? Please check. The ordinary Brit 3d is about 6.6; however, the RM was fast and furious with planchet production on these and I have near piefort examples approaching 9 gm down to about 4 gm by recollection.

Nice bit there, but don't get overexcited.

the auction house seem to think it got some valve

the royal mint museum have never seen one

will not let me up load picture

email me for pictures phillipcondliffe@yahoo.co.uk

Come on, really?

So it's a British threepence on a thin flan?

In the absence of an image, nobody is sure what it is.

im only  going by the info the royal mint give me  i think they shound be sound in there advice

Isn't a Nigerian 3d also 12 sided? Where this flan looks round. 

• Like 1

so you are telling me that the royal mint have have not got it right so the paper work i have from them   is no good

the royal mint had the coin for 8 weeks

this is the letter they sent back

Assistant curater

The royal mint museum

28 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Isn't a Nigerian 3d also 12 sided? Where this flan looks round. 

It is also 12-sided, but if the images in K&M are accurate, it is smaller, so you wouldn't necessarily see the angles of the rim.

I hope the letter is genuine as 8 weeks seems a remarkably short time for them to turn an enquiry around. Also, if you have copied it verbatim, I would expect the RMM to spell curator correctly and use capital letters for its name.

Edited by Rob

I have a nigerian   coin worth £3.000.000 .

If you would like it I sell for £30,000  just send Via paypal  too  IMADODDGY******@NIGERIANRIPOFFS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It is also 12-sided, but if the images in K&M are accurate, it is smaller, so you wouldn't necessarily see the angles of the rim.

I hope the letter is genuine as 8 weeks seems a remarkably short time for them to turn an enquiry around. Also, if you have copied it verbatim, I would expect the RMM to spell curator correctly and use capital letters for its name.

thats my spelling which is bad the man i was dealing with was chris barker assistant curator the royal mint museum so yes the letter is genuine the coin is genuine and a few auction houses have put a good price on it spinks and chiswick want it if you want like a copy of the letter i would love to  email it to you

13 hours ago, copper123 said:

I have a nigerian   coin worth £3.000.000 .

If you would like it I sell for £30,000  just send Via paypal  too  IMADODDGY******@NIGERIANRIPOFFS

is that .com or .ng  :)

• Like 1

it was a joke about all those nigerian fraudsters

i voted BRexit to ged rid of these Noigerian fraudsters.

If Spinks want it let them sell it. Chiswick mainly do Bargain Hunt.

Spink are unlikely to want it unless bulked up (with a few more errors) as I don't think it would make more than £10-20 as a stand alone piece. The problem is that wrong flan pieces are ok up to a point, but the denomination has no large following unlike say pennies, crowns or halfcrowns, so most potential buyers would be error collectors, who tend to be bottom fishers.

I do agree with Rob as I got a jobber lot from London Coins that included about 30 major errors - including Off metal strikes, multiple clips, both of the 3ds that I mentioned above for about 100 quid.

phil2uk

It maybe a nice error but the market isn't there/here or anywhere. A nice keepsake but that is all.  Harsh but fair :mellow:

i will stick with auction price guide will let u all know when it goes up for sale

Spink don't have a retail coin business....if they 'wanted' it and thought it was worth it they would only have suggested it going into one of their auctions.

Might be worth a lot of money to a threepence error collector (if such a person exists).  That 1966 nickel brass penny in the Copthorne collection went for what I reckon was an enormous sum, recently, but the pool of penny collectors is likely to be much bigger!

http://colincooke.com/collections/copthorneelizabethii.html