British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Helping potential Coin collectors.

A bit off the wall topic but hopefully it can start something. Over the years I've sent a few freebies to young (I assume) members on the forum. I've also given the local schools some coins when my daughters told me what period of history they were learning about. A while ago a new lady started working with my daughter.Talk went around to families and my daughter mentioned that I collected coins. The lady mentioned her 12 yr old son had been routing through her change looking for the best examples.

Basically that is how I started many years ago :) so I have added my best examples to a pot and my daughter takes these in weekly for him. After a couple of weeks I got a phone call from this lad thanking me and he enthusiastically told me what he had. I felt good for this so I went through my vast mountain of predecimal coins and packaged up coins of every reign going back to William 111 and a couple of hammered and Roman. I snuck in a couple of better coins and some silver together with an old copy of collectors coins. A couple of weeks ago I received a lovely thank you card from the lad.

Now it seems I've made a win,win situation as he now makes his parents a cup of tea every Sunday morning so they take him to local car boot fairs. The best thing about it he also takes a couple of pals along who have caught the bug. Apparently his pals parents have now taken up the duty of taking the lads on a rota basis thus leaving Mums and Dads to  have some quality Sunday morning times :oB).

• Like 11

Nice to be nice and also to help people .

As i say HAT OFF to you Peter :)

Inspiring a passion for coins in the next generation, well done Sir.  

wELL DONE PETER !

It's great to here of young collectors coming into the hobby. I recently gave a work colleague a bag of coins for his son, I'm guessing nothing as good as Peter gave to his apprentice. Good on you Peter.  

What a great story and a lesson to all, i.e. if we do not encourage and develop young collectors, the hobby has no future.

While the mints of the world focus on producing money-making, shiny over-priced crap, it is up to the dealers and collectors to show the way forward.

The US state quarters and presidential dollars + the availability of cheap coin folders to house them has created a huge amount of interest in coin collecting in the USA and guaranteed the future of American numismatics. Likewise, the euro coins + cheap folders/albums available these issues has guaranteed a surge in coin collecting in the Euro Zone. Likewise, the special commemorative €2 coins are also hugely popular.

The lack of available folders has definitely stunted the interest in decimal issues for Ireland and Britain. That said, I do applaud the issue of the Olympic 50p's and other thematic 50p's by the Royal Mint. It's just a pity there isn't special folders to hold them.

The key to the future is youth ... and, in my opinion, the key to youth participation in numismatics is the availability of cheap folders for current pocket change.

13 minutes ago, OldCurrencyExchange said:

What a great story and a lesson to all, i.e. if we do not encourage and develop young collectors, the hobby has no future.

While the mints of the world focus on producing money-making, shiny over-priced crap, it is up to the dealers and collectors to show the way forward.

The US state quarters and presidential dollars + the availability of cheap coin folders to house them has created a huge amount of interest in coin collecting in the USA and guaranteed the future of American numismatics. Likewise, the euro coins + cheap folders/albums available these issues has guaranteed a surge in coin collecting in the Euro Zone. Likewise, the special commemorative €2 coins are also hugely popular.

The lack of available folders has definitely stunted the interest in decimal issues for Ireland and Britain. That said, I do applaud the issue of the Olympic 50p's and other thematic 50p's by the Royal Mint. It's just a pity there isn't special folders to hold them.

The key to the future is youth ... and, in my opinion, the key to youth participation in numismatics is the availability of cheap folders for current pocket change.

There actually are lots of folders available for decimal coinage from £2 right down to 50p. They have been available for quite a number of years and are easily available at a reasonable price. The Olympic 50p set have had numerous folders and at least two official Royal Mint issues. Look up the Great British Coin Hunt !!!

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 1

In the USA, collectors can buy folders for 1c coins right up to $1 coins.

My point is that, in the UK and Ireland, there are no folders or albums for the decimal coins, i.e. from ½p upwards.

This is a disincentive for collectors to collect.

On the plus side, there are still plenty of old Whitman folders from the 60's available for the pre-decimal series.

6 minutes ago, OldCurrencyExchange said:

In the USA, collectors can buy folders for 1c coins right up to $1 coins.

My point is that, in the UK and Ireland, there are no folders or albums for the decimal coins, i.e. from ½p upwards.

This is a disincentive for collectors to collect.

On the plus side, there are still plenty of old Whitman folders from the 60's available for the pre-decimal series.

Did you spot Brian's post above? He's right, there are actually a lot of decimal folders out there, although I have to admit I haven't seen one for 1/2 pennies, but they were only around for just over a decade after decimalisation..

• Like 2