British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick1697

Aetherlred Last Short Cross Penny

What does everyone think about this Aethelred penny.  It sort of looks too perfect for a coin of its age. Is it real or is it a modern fake?

United Kingdom 1 1006-17 Æthelred II Last Small Cross Penny London .jpg

United Kingdom 1 1006-17 Æthelred II Last Small Cross Penny London.jpg

• Like 1

More Clive's or Rob's area Nick, but there's nothing about it that shrieks 'fake' to me ...   looks nice.

weight is ok ?  It's the first things that you have to see ..

Thank you both.

The weight is 1.69g.

The next questions might be where it was bought.  If from a dealer that usually gives some reassurance. 

And provenance too.  Though I didn't find this particular coin during a short web search..

It was purchased from Hiddenhistory on ebay. They are a large volume seller of ancient and medieval coins and objects with very good feedback.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Saxon-King-Aethelred-II-Small-Cross-Type-Penny-Moneyer-Godman-London-Mint/152137437398?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D0879535666894688a3db34dbb53ad0b2%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D152137437398.

I thought I would just check that everything is ok with the coin. Simply because it was in such great condition and looks great in hand. As I said almost too good. I just wanted peace of mind before it is catalogue and 'filed' away with the rest of the collection.

You wouldn't have found the coin through an image search, because I have cropped the images.

Looks fine to me! Interesting pellet in the moneyer's name, though.

Not often you see these so centrally struck, here's another one where the pictures could be fooling.

Aeth1-3.jpg

Aeth2-3.jpg

• Like 1

Two cracking coins Gents,pity the monyers lost their way for a few centuries.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for confirming its authenticity. I feel a lot better about this coin now!

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:58 AM, Nick1697 said:

What does everyone think about this Aethelred penny.  It sort of looks too perfect for a coin of its age. Is it real or is it a modern fake?

United Kingdom 1 1006-17 Æthelred II Last Small Cross Penny London .jpg

United Kingdom 1 1006-17 Æthelred II Last Small Cross Penny London.jpg

Rotographic's "England's Striking History" explains that many Aethelred II coins were used as Danegelt payments "which explains why so many English coins of his reign are found today in hoards located by Scandinavian metal detectorists".  I've seen some good examples (different Moneyers) of these coins and suggest their apparent almost "uncirculated" condition may be the result of them having been hoarded almost straight from off the Viking long- ship?  

• Like 1