British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

New to coin Collecting Help Needed

58 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Regarding verdigris etc, do a quick search using the forum's search function at the top right.  I just typed in verdigris cleaning bronze, which brought up six threads.  If you read through some of those, I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Great I will take a look and see what I can find. I do forget about search engines within forums:wacko:

Another Coin from today 1887 Florin

1887 Florin 1.jpg1887 Florin 2.jpg

And the last one 1887 Shilling  lots more when I get time. Just wish my books would hurry up and get here. I then can have a go at grading myself, but until then with have to rely on you guys.

1887 Shilling 1.jpg1887 Shilling 2.jpg

The 1901 farthing is in my opinion almost UNC in terms of wear obviously it is difficult to be certain without the coin in hand. There are almost always some weaknesses across the helmet of Britannia which should not be confused for wear. With the darkened farthings that existed between 1897 and 1918, it is quite easy to mistake loss of lustre for wear, because the black lustre is missing and appears as obvious wear.

However having said that 1901 is an easy date and can be picked up quite easily in similar condition without the spots (which really would limit any value the coin had) any such issues with such a common date will badly affect its value.

:) I've got to laugh. I can actually remember buying my 1901 1/4d  for 10p in the 70's whilst on holiday with my parents in Bournemouth. I also bought a Cartwheel 1d and a Geo 1 1721 farthing at the same time (all my holiday money spent in one go :() The 1901 is one coin I will never update as it had no spots (unlike me at the time) and holds council in my farthing conglomerate.

3 hours ago, Colin G. said:

However having said that 1901 is an easy date and can be picked up quite easily in similar condition without the spots

I see you sell farthings so if you have a better 1901 Farthing let me know please. Oh and thank you for your evaluation of my coin it have been a great help. Really thinking on Farthings as an area to build on as I did buy a lot recently around 56 I think. So perhaps will look at this.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Colin is the main forum guy with regards selling farthings/helping you and sure he will look after you and  you will be happy  ;)

Also if thats what you wish to collect Colin cooke do a free regular farthing catalogue and the person there is also honest and worth a phone call.

Happy hunting........glad your not looking for pennies ;)

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

.glad your not looking for pennies ;)

Well you never know I have a few but am looking for a couple of decent ones for 1899 and 1951 if you know of any for sale.

1951 is a harder year for pennies, but it is available in that proof set I mentioned and highly recommend you look in to :)

I have just got round to finishing storing my coins and making records of them, so have been very busy. I thought I would post a couple of pics of some of them. the first is the latest 1887 Half Crown. I like this one, but would like your opinions on this please.

1887 Silver Half Crown Obverse EF 2.jpg1887 Silver Half Crown Reverse EF 2.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice example UIS, great eye appeal, a couple of digs or scratches on the neck, otherwise aUNC for me - good pics too!

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

That's a nice example UIS, great eye appeal, a couple of digs or scratches on the neck, otherwise aUNC for me - good pics too!

Thanks Paul for the comments, a purchase off eBay at £38 as for the pics I cannot take credit for them as they are the ones from the listing. One thing I have noticed is that the colour is far darker in the pictures than it is in hand. Have bought quite a few coins recently but for some reason having trouble adding to posts. The one I have just listed went fine, I was going to put up the Crown that I got from the same seller. For some reason cannot upload keeps saying You are only allowed to upload 501.76kb. but the picture is the same size as the last one. What am I doing wrong? any tips please I edit photo's in Photoshop.

Who was the seller? Some play with the pics before listing, as you might imagine.

I link all my pics from an external source, in my case my Wordpress web site, but you should be able to get good jpegs at under 500k to link directly ... there are restrictions on how many to link in a short time period though I believe

£38 was just below what I would expect, given the scratches. so good deal. But get a problem-free example! :)

10 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Who was the seller? Some play with the pics before listing, as you might imagine.

this was the original listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1887-QUEEN-VICTORIA-GREAT-BRITAIN-SILVER-1-2-HALFCROWN-HALF-CROWN-COIN-/361641700524?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252FkMi9%252BrYAZ8oIpfnrNN301NV7mI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This was the 1887 crown and cost me £62 I think I paid too much for this one what's your thoughts please. But I am learning as I go. I just hope its not costing me too much in the process.

.1887 Silver Crown Obverse EF 2.jpg1887 Silver Crown Reverse EF 2.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

I think you did ok on both, but will be wanting to upgrade some day. That eBay seller does picture his coins to the best advantage, I hope you are pleased in hand :)

All the jubilee regular 1887s are affordable in the upmost grades, problem-free with eye appeal and toning if desired ;) 

21 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I think you did ok on both, but will be wanting to upgrade some day. That eBay seller does picture his coins to the best advantage, I hope you are pleased in hand :)

All the jubilee regular 1887s are affordable in the upmost grades, problem-free with eye appeal and toning if desired ;) 

Your right of course and again I jumped in feet first on these, but for the moment am pleased with them. The Half Crown is better in hand than the Crown apart from the marks on the neck. But will keep am eye out for better ones in future.  I am all over the place and cannot settle on any particular area to concentrate on apart from my Farthings which I have quite a few and only missing around 10 between 1899 and 1951 have been using Colin for a supply of these. My Silver Threepences are coming on as well. The rest are a spattering of other denominations. Below is another example off eBay.

1927 Penny Reverse aUNC.jpg1927 Penny Obverse aUNC.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

That looks a very nice example, but why not check with the members on here BEFORE you buy? How much did you pay?

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

That looks a very nice example, but why not check with the members on here BEFORE you buy? How much did you pay?

I paid £18 for it did I do all right ? This is another below only paid £3.50p for this one. As for asking on prices on coins on eBay its a good Idea but have shyed away from asking as I have had bad experience before when collecting some other Item a few years back on a forum where I asked for advice about a few Items on eBay only to find out later I was being outbid by a fellow member of that forum so for that reason I have not asked. But will take your advice and ask in future, and thanks for you help.

1938 Penny Reverse aUNC 2.jpg1938 Penny Obverse aUNC 2.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Was postage on top? Very common and lots of wear for the issue ... again. ask opinions before you commit :) 

52 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Was postage on top? Very common and lots of wear for the issue ... again. ask opinions before you commit :) 

The Postage was included in the price with some other coins. Well can you give me your opinion on this please I am bidding on it and I am the highest at £17 so need to know if I should stick or maybe go higher please.

1887 silver threepence Reverse.jpg1887 silver threepence Obverse.jpg

8 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

this was the original listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1887-QUEEN-VICTORIA-GREAT-BRITAIN-SILVER-1-2-HALFCROWN-HALF-CROWN-COIN-/361641700524?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252FkMi9%252BrYAZ8oIpfnrNN301NV7mI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This was the 1887 crown and cost me £62 I think I paid too much for this one what's your thoughts please. But I am learning as I go. I just hope its not costing me too much in the process.

.1887 Silver Crown Obverse EF 2.jpg1887 Silver Crown Reverse EF 2.jpg

£120

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 10.17.35.png

;)

Edited by UPINSMOKE

25 minutes ago, azda said:

£120

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 10.17.35.png

What are you saying that you paid a lot more for a better coin or is mine better than yours ;)

2 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

What are you saying that you paid a lot more for a better coin or is mine better than yours ;)

Given that i bought this on the eye appeal only as they are a common coin, i thought at the time that £120 was a little expensive, but considering that a PCGS MS65 sold for $825 i think it's now a reasonable buy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so i won't say if mine is better than yours, i have my own opinion, but others may think differently, including you.....

You decide.... B) You buy what floats your boat, not on what others think, after all, it's your money to buy what you wish.....

6 hours ago, azda said:

Given that i bought this on the eye appeal only as they are a common coin, i thought at the time that £120 was a little expensive, but considering that a PCGS MS65 sold for $825 i think it's now a reasonable buy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so i won't say if mine is better than yours, i have my own opinion, but others may think differently, including you.....

You decide.... B) You buy what floats your boat, not on what others think, after all, it's your money to buy what you wish.....

Ah I get it now was not sure what you meant, your right that everyone has their own taste in what they like. The two coins from 1887 was from the same seller I liked the Half crown more than the Crown but at the time the Crown was the best I could find at the time. So like everyone will probably upgrade at a later date if I find one I like better.

22 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Ah I get it now was not sure what you meant, your right that everyone has their own taste in what they like. The two coins from 1887 was from the same seller I liked the Half crown more than the Crown but at the time the Crown was the best I could find at the time. So like everyone will probably upgrade at a later date if I find one I like better.

Better to find the right coin first time rather than continually upgrading. It takes time and patience