British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

New to coin Collecting Help Needed

55 minutes ago, azda said:

Better to find the right coin first time rather than continually upgrading. It takes time and patience

True but sometimes doing small upgrades is not only fun but a great learning experience with the potential to make a small profit here and there. I have only sold about 7 or 8 George V half crowns as I have upgraded and I have not lost money on them to date ☺

51 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

True but sometimes doing small upgrades is not only fun but a great learning experience with the potential to make a small profit here and there. I have only sold about 7 or 8 George V half crowns as I have upgraded and I have not lost money on them to date ☺

Small upgrades? NF F GF NVF VF NEF, AEF, EF, GEF ECT ECT, will cost money,  why change the same coin 6 or 7 times, you have perhaps been lucky, people tend to get burnt along the way, it's trying to help not getting burnt to much that is helpful in this hobby.

I'm more than sure you've been burnt in the past.....As we all have

I no doubt will get stung but out of the 12 or so coins I have moved on so far I haven't as yet. By small upgrades I mean I have been trying to get most of the half crowns in EF grade but as you know the consistency of the strikes can vary a lot do while the obverse may have nice hair detail and the wear to the tash and ear are minimal the reverse may see a weak strike on the upper left lions or the harp etc. I honestly have found having 4 or 5 1916's of EF ish grade to compare side by side helped me as a newbie. I don't have your level of experience yet Azda ☺

Edited by Nonmortuus

57 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I honestly have found having 4 or 5 1916's of EF ish grade to compare side by side helped me as a newbie.

Well when you have finished with them let me know and you can send one to me.:D I must admit in the short time I have been collecting I have amassed some doubles and trebles but only in the 40s and 50s but as you say to compare them side by side helps. I find that perhaps its because I buy a lot off eBay and as you know the pics are not always  that good or they show the coin to be better than it actually is. Sometimes I have taken a chance and did not get exactly what I thought the condition should be, other times its actually better than expected. Be assured that I am not spending big money at the moment most coins are between £3 and £15 if I am spending more than this I try one of the dealers I have been recommended on here.

I recently went mad and bought a load of 1967 coins 1/2d x 50, 1d x 50, 3d x25, 1/-,  2/- x 25, and 2/6 x 25, 225 coins all in BU Unc Condition in the tubes they were sent from the Royal Mint. You may say I must be mad and your probably right:o but I just like the Idea of having them like that, its also nice to have something in BU Unc condition. I am sure I may  have been burnt on them but you learn from it. You never know I may get a chance to get rid of them later on even if I get my money back.:wacko::D

Edited by UPINSMOKE

10 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

I no doubt will get stung but out of the 12 or so coins I have moved on so far I haven't as yet. By small upgrades I mean I have been trying to get most of the half crowns in EF grade but as you know the consistency of the strikes can vary a lot do while the obverse may have nice hair detail and the wear to the tash and ear are minimal the reverse may see a weak strike on the upper left lions or the harp etc. I honestly have found having 4 or 5 1916's of EF ish grade to compare side by side helped me as a newbie. I don't have your level of experience yet Azda ☺

We're all learning Paul, something new always comes along, even the penny boys can come up with something every other month.......

• Like 1

Remember reading a post on here before i started collecting and joined the forum a few years ago.......... made a lot of sense.

" Better to have one really nice coin than a few in low grade "

Although everyone collects and buys what they want its something i am glad i took on board.

35 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Remember reading a post on here before i started collecting and joined the forum a few years ago.......... made a lot of sense.

" Better to have one really nice coin than a few in low grade "

Although everyone collects and buys what they want its something i am glad i took on board.

Echo that

Depends on the coin. Sometimes it is better to have the coin than leave a space. Depends on what and how you collect. If Tealby pennies float your boat you are likely to have a handful of partial portraits and a large number of illegibles. To find fully struck up pieces is a serious labour of love.

Tealby is an avoid for me.As are tin "cu" coins. I would never be happy.