British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

New to coin Collecting Help Needed

Hi Everyone my name is Mick, I am new to coin collecting or should I say I have not collected since I was a boy so 50 years ago. I have just retired and need another hobby, I have been a collector all my life from Royal Doulton, Stamps, Cigarette Cards, Cigarette Packets. I now want to try coins, this will keep me occupied during the winter months when I cannot get out doing my other hobbies Fishing and Photography.

I will probably be asking loads of questions. But my first one is what is the best way to store a coin collection and can you give me any links to said storage options please.

I am planning to only collect pre decimal and my first goal is to collect coins of 1899 the year my Grandmother was born and the lady that brought me up from the age of 2. I then will be jumping to 1951 to collect the coins of my birth year. After that anything that takes my fancy I think. But do like the silver coins from Victoria to 1951 perhaps will go for 1899 to 1951.

I have already taken the plunge and bought a few coins off eBay my first being a 1899 farthing.

Any advice would be greatly received thanks 

Welcome to the forum Mick, you are in good company, plenty of knowledgeable and friendly collectors on here. As with many aspects of coin collecting there are varied opinions on every subject but I will try and start you off. Storage depends on how you want to present the coins and how often you want to view them, do you intend to show them to people or are they likely to be tucked away? Are you hoping to collect average grades or higher grade coins? These are all factors that would influence your decision.  

A collection of two specific years would give you a look at different coin types and would not be a bad start in my opinion because it will give you the chance to see a different range of coin types and therefore you can get a feel for what denominations take your fancy. Many will advise you be careful buying off eBay there are some bargains to be had, but they are few and far between, but it is also full of pitfalls from forgeries to cleaned/damaged coins.

Edited by Colin G.

47 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

Welcome to the forum Mick, you are in good company, plenty of knowledgeable and friendly collectors on here. As with many aspects of coin collecting there are varied opinions on every subject but I will try and start you off. Storage depends on how you want to present the coins and how often you want to view them, do you intend to show them to people or are they likely to be tucked away? Are you hoping to collect average grades or higher grade coins? These are all factors that would influence your decision.  

A collection of two specific years would give you a look at different coin types and would not be a bad start in my opinion because it will give you the chance to see a different range of coin types and therefore you can get a feel for what denominations take your fancy. Many will advise you be careful buying off eBay there are some bargains to be had, but they are few and far between, but it is also full of pitfalls from forgeries to cleaned/damaged coins.

Hi Colin thanks for your input, I intend to try and collect the highest grade I can afford for the two years I have mentioned. As for the other coins likewise if I can. As for storage would like to be able to show my family and friends but only with the lower grades perhaps the quality one I would like to keep away out of site. So what storage would be best.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Mick and welcome aboard, There is several storage methods, some of which can be found on predecimal.com, the owner of the forum' personal website for coins and storage options. Some people use sleeves with can be placed into albums, others use round plastic capsules and for the more exotic/expensive items storage drawers, it would depend on the individual and coins you'll go for, here's a few to look at

http://www.predecimal.com/lindner-full-range-coin-cases-c-149_158.html

http://www.predecimal.com/lindner-full-range-coin-albumspages-c-149_157.html

http://www.predecimal.com/coin-holders-coin-capsules-c-149_159_162.html

There's also these that some people like, but i'm not sure if they can be opened again after being sealed, best to ask, andy_jack has a good reputation amoungst coin collectors and will usually answer your questions in good time, the above links are from the forum owner who can also help if you leave a message

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Lighthouse-EVERSLAB-coin-capsules-cases-14mm-to-41mm-all-sizes-of-Slabs-/140874274011?var=&hash=item20ccc2d4db:m:mfHSLSDeDxd91989rd3G8vQ

• Like 1

Hi Mick - I suspect your storage needs will also depend on how many coins you intend to collect.  Note the word "intend", perhaps the siren call of certain coins might lure you to collect more than you originally suspect... ;)

For what it's worth, I've got one of the Lindner Coin Transport Cases with 6 trays. I think it's an inexpensive and convenient solution if you collect a bit of everything (i.e. different denominations of different sizes).  My coins are all raw - i.e. unslabbed - and are in various grades from less than Fine up to BU.  

I think it's a really nice idea to collect all circulating denomination for 1899 and 1951, thankfully nothing should be too expensive (good job your Grandmother wasn't born in 1905...).  I also think it's nice to be able to handle your coins (carefully, of course) and think about the various people who may have used them over the decades/centuries rather than have them 'imprisoned' in some way.  

I like the Victoria Veiled Head coinage designs, particularly the Shillings and higher denominations.  Happy collecting!  

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Hi Mick - I suspect your storage needs will also depend on how many coins you intend to collect.  Note the word "intend", perhaps the siren call of certain coins might lure you to collect more than you originally suspect... ;)

For what it's worth, I've got one of the Lindner Coin Transport Cases with 6 trays. I think it's an inexpensive and convenient solution if you collect a bit of everything (i.e. different denominations of different sizes).  My coins are all raw - i.e. unslabbed - and are in various grades from less than Fine up to BU.  

I think it's a really nice idea to collect all circulating denomination for 1899 and 1951, thankfully nothing should be too expensive (good job your Grandmother wasn't born in 1905...).  I also think it's nice to be able to handle your coins (carefully, of course) and think about the various people who may have used them over the decades/centuries rather than have them 'imprisoned' in some way.  

I like the Victoria Veiled Head coinage designs, particularly the Shillings and higher denominations.  Happy collecting!  

Thank you for all the information so far. I have decided to go for the Lighthouse Intercept Box for 100 Quadrum Snaplocks and the Lighthouse Square Coin Capsules Quadrum. I think these will suffice for my needs. All I need to find now is some labels to add to them so I can sort everything correctly.

I certainly have been busy buying this weekend far more than I should. I have fallen into the usual trap diving straight in and buying a bit of everything that takes my fancy. But have bought rather a lot of Farthings that were up for grabs on eBay I must have bought around 40 of them. I have decided to go and collect these and try and complete as many as I can. I have also bought some Half Crowns, Florins, Shillings, Sixpences. Perhaps will add some pictures on here to see what peoples opinions are on what I bought and paid for them. It would be good feedback to see if I am on the right track.

Farthing 1956 UNC.JPG

This is one of the farthings I bought paid £4 for it not sure if this was to much but I liked it.

Farthing 1956 UNC.JPG 2.JPG

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Looks good for the price :)

Thanks Jon I was worried I was not doing things right. I also bought this 1946 Half Crown for £6.50p among others too many to show here.

Half Crown 1946.JPGHalf Crown 1946.JPG 2.JPG

• Like 1

both coins are ok for the price

Welcome Mick

I like the theme of collecting 1899 and 1951 and in between, gives you some focus. Silver George VI Half Crowns (like the one you pictured) are plentiful, and cheap and easy to find in high grades - you did fine with that one. The challenge for these very often is to find examples without bag marks (like those 2 tiny nicks on the left edge of the shield).

For 1951 there is a Festival of Britain proof set (crown to farthing), which is extremely nice and not expensive as pre-decimal proof sets go.

This is my only 1899 coin (I collect types rather than dates)

1899_cr_lxii_02_01_cgs__uin_36860_1300.p

27 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I also bought this 1946 Half Crown for £6.50p among others too many to show here.

Can't comment on "silver" as I don't collect it myself but it does look good. 

That said I do have a 1951 boxed crown if you are interested would sell for  £10 if you are interested 

24 minutes ago, jon said:

That said I do have a 1951 boxed crown if you are interested would sell for  £10 if you are interested 

I may well be interested does that include postage if so I will take it please. Any Pictures please

Edited by UPINSMOKE

49 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Welcome Mick

I like the theme of collecting 1899 and 1951 and in between, gives you some focus. Silver George VI Half Crowns (like the one you pictured) are plentiful, and cheap and easy to find in high grades - you did fine with that one. The challenge for these very often is to find examples without bag marks (like those 2 tiny nicks on the left edge of the shield).

For 1951 there is a Festival of Britain proof set (crown to farthing), which is extremely nice and not expensive as pre-decimal proof sets go.

This is my only 1899 coin (I collect types rather than dates)

1899_cr_lxii_02_01_cgs__uin_36860_1300.p

Hi that coin really does look good where would I look for a similar one any good dealers. Also the 1951  Festival of Britain proof set (crown to farthing) where would I find one and what would I be looking to buy a decent one.

17 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I may well be interested does that include postage if so I will take it please. Any Pictures please

Pm sent 

The best places to buy genuine accurately graded coins is always from decent dealers (online or at coin fairs) and dedicated coin auctions (of which there are several), such as DNW and London Coin Auctions.

For your needs right now it may be best dipping your toe in to the waters of a few dealer web sites, such as that owned by this forums's owner (Chris Perkins - http://www.predecimal.com/), Colin Cooke, R.P Coins (Rob on here), http://www.pennycrowncoins.co.uk/ (Derek - Red Riley on here), and others.

Depending on your storage / presentation needs it does sound like a 1951 set might fit the bill, should cost around £100 for a decent one, this is the set I am referring to:

http://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/1951-gb-specimen-proof-coin-set-festival-of-britain-royal-mint-129816182.htm?from=googleshop_uk&adwords=Y&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYb5Cd86nHOITGj6k1582NbsFbYqdl52INNs8Xd3QY7gaAsJd8P8HAQ

The penny in that set is relatively scarce

Edit: But I wouldn't buy that particular example

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

Thanks for that do you think I should go for that one at the price or make an offer on it. The condition does not look too bad but I am no expert.

The box looks to be in good condition, which is not so common. There is only one side of the coins shown, so the other side is unknown. The coins will probably have a toning line across them from contact with the ribbon - many sets do. There is also a couple of spots on the halfpenny and florin.

It's much better to see things in hand. Go to a coin fair. If convenient, the Midland is tomorrow at 9:30 at the Motorcycle Museum. York racecourse is next Friday and Saturday, Wakefield is the last Sunday of the month at the Cedar Court hotel off Jcn 39 of the M1, starts at 9:30.

15 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks for that do you think I should go for that one at the price or make an offer on it. The condition does not look too bad but I am no expert.

Having connection problems sorry, as I said I wouldn't buy that particular example (unless you get a chance to see it in hand, as Rob points out)

8 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Having connection problems sorry, as I said I wouldn't buy that particular example (unless you get a chance to see it in hand, as Rob points out)

Oops too late I have made an offer on it. But did ask if they could supply pictures of the reverse sides. Will have to see now how it goes. As for coin fairs I am limited to my area i'm afraid. But will check the East Sussex area to see if there are any.

Wow, lots of new acquisitions!  Plenty of good advice regarding dealers and coin fairs too, I'd highly recommend the same and have bought from all four dealers Paulus mentioned.

Another very fitting coincidence of 1899 and 1951 is that the 1951 Crown was actually struck from an old 1899 Crown die, with a suitably modified date.  Seems very apposite given your Grandmother's influence on you.

Thinking further, it might be worth you also considering collecting a year set from other monarchs once you've finished your 1899 and 1951 sets.  I'd suggest 1902, 1935 and 1953 because there will be a Crown in each of those years too.  Given they are coronation/jubilee years, many coins will have been kept, so it's relatively easy and inexpensive to find nice ones.  I might then consider doing a year set for 1887 which would give you Jubilee Head silver, Bun Head bronze, plus some more interesting coins (withdrawn sixpence, double florin).  Beyond that I'd consider collecting a type set (i.e. different designs of the same denomination) back to 1816 of whichever coin(s) tickled your fancy the most.  

Most importantly, have fun!

8 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Wow, lots of new acquisitions!  Plenty of good advice regarding dealers and coin fairs too, I'd highly recommend the same and have bought from all four dealers Paulus mentioned.

Another very fitting coincidence of 1899 and 1951 is that the 1951 Crown was actually struck from an old 1899 Crown die, with a suitably modified date.  Seems very apposite given your Grandmother's influence on you.

Thinking further, it might be worth you also considering collecting a year set from other monarchs once you've finished your 1899 and 1951 sets.  I'd suggest 1902, 1935 and 1953 because there will be a Crown in each of those years too.  Given they are coronation/jubilee years, many coins will have been kept, so it's relatively easy and inexpensive to find nice ones.  I might then consider doing a year set for 1887 which would give you Jubilee Head silver, Bun Head bronze, plus some more interesting coins (withdrawn sixpence, double florin).  Beyond that I'd consider collecting a type set (i.e. different designs
the same denomination) back to 1816 of whichever coin(s) tickled your fancy the most.  

Most importantly, have fun!

This was most interesting to read. Thank you so much for the information, your ideas seem rather good to me will have to look into what you suggest. I must admit I have jumped in feet first or should I say head first you choose. I have been buying like mad of eBay and have probably spent in the region of £500 not all on coins but storage as well. So far and not got my grubby hands on any of it as yet. After today I will slow down take stock and sort what I have and try and keep to the straight and narrow.

I did manage to buy an 1887 sixpence and a 1887 shilling these were the best I could find on eBay they cost me £13.50 for both. So hope I did not spend too much on them, I bet I will change them later if I can find better ones. 

Sixpence 1887.JPGShilling 1887.JPG

Shilling 1887.JPG 2.JPG

1887 is the commonest year of the Victoria era, it was her jubilee year but at least you're not breaking the bank at £13.50. As i've said before on these boards, a collection doesn't have to mean 100 coins in lower grades, you can also buy 2 or 3 in high grade, better to have 1 coin in high grade than 10 in lower grades, just my opinion

Edited by azda

48 minutes ago, azda said:

1887 is the commonest year of the Victoria era, it was her jubilee year but at least you're not breaking the bank at £13.50. As i've said before on these boards, a collection doesn't have to mean 100 coins in lower grades, you can also buy 2 or 3 in high grade, better to have 1 coin in high grade than 10 in lower grades, just my opinion

I take your point as regards having better grades, but what do you do when you cannot find the grade you would like. Myself I would like them all UC but that's not going to happen. So I go for whats available at the time. As you say the 1887 is the commonest year, so there is plenty about of coins about. I am no expert so when I fine similar coins I find it difficult to know what is the best one to go for.

Couple of examples on eBay at the moment which one would you go for, one looks bronze in colour ant the other silver.

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by UPINSMOKE

I'd go for The top one because there is more wear on The 2nd, if You look at The harp detail for instance, The 2nd is flat, also some flatness on the scepteres, BUT The first has poor lighting which might mean it's been dipped to make it look bright and shiny. Unless The picture on The first has been done in such a way that The light makes it look like it has a golden tone, so personally, i wouldn't go for either unless Number 1 came up with another picture.

There are many 1887 florins out there, you need patience, its not easy, i did The Same thing initially but slowed down eventually

45 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I take your point as regards having better grades, but what do you do when you cannot find the grade you would like.

Keep looking. eBay is just one option. 

I will PM you

Edited by IanB