British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Correct weight for 1804 BoE Dollars

Could someone post the correct weight for these please?

I have Googled, and tried Tony Clayton's site, Spink, ESC, CCGB and Maberly Phillips to no avail

Adthanksvance

Edited by Paulus

26g is a bit vague for a reference weight. They were struck predominantly from 8 Reales which weighed 27.07g according to Krause, but given the host was circulated coinage this number isn't set in stone. It would also differ slightly if something other than an 8R was used, but not necessarily by a significant amount, and given you have no idea what condition the host was in before striking it is not practical to give an exact weight.

I would expect a weight 'range' Rob, for the reasons you state. The two I have are 26.6 - 26.7 g. However, I'm surprised these are so much less than the weight for a Crown, when the silver content was everything in terms of backing the coin's value, and then it was revalued at 5 shillings and 6d - just a fascinating subject I guess!

The crown was always heavier than the 8R. at 30g it was 5/-, which is why the original countermarked pieces were tariffed at a lower value. The purity of the silver was also different to our 925. Given the upheaval of the Napoleonic Wars it is somewhat surprising that they issued a new value on a coin. It would have been far simpler to continue with the existing coin and adjust prices to suit even allowing for the shortage of specie. Obviously the Spanish 'donated' a considerable sum to the nation's coffers, and using existing coin of known purity was the easiest solution, bypassing the need to refine the silver.

Do you know what the silver purity of an 8R was? I'm guessing it "varied" !

According to Krause, the portrait types were .903, but the non-portrait types (earlier, say 1740s) were .917