British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Has anybody ever seen an 1863 penny, die No under date for sale?

I never have, nor do I have any idea of what one would fetch at auction. Obviously they're extremely rare, with a only a few or one example known of each.

Any ideas/experiences chaps?

Thanks in advance :)

Dix Noonan Webb had one about 8-10 years ago.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I never have, nor do I have any idea of what one would fetch at auction. Obviously they're extremely rare, with a only a few or one example known of each.

Any ideas/experiences chaps?

Thanks in advance :)

Do you not remember the one on eBay about 5 or 6 months ago? I even PM'd you about it lol :D 

£800 odd I think it went for. 

I found the PM, £841 and someone on here got it ;) 

I am still looking for die #1

they are rarer then the halfpenny die letters by far.

5 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Do you not remember the one on eBay about 5 or 6 months ago? I even PM'd you about it lol :D 

£800 odd I think it went for. 

Crikey Matt, so you did. I must admit, that one had passed right out of my mind. Went for £841.

But that literally has to be the only one.

Thanks for the reminder :ph34r:

6 hours ago, coinkat said:

Dix Noonan Webb had one about 8-10 years ago.

An indication of just how rare they are.

5 hours ago, scott said:

I am still looking for die #1

they are rarer then the halfpenny die letters by far.

I don't think a Die No 1 has been found yet.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

An indication of just how rare they are.

The info I have in my sheet on these is as follows;

Die # 1 - 0 known examples 

Die # 2 - 7 known examples

Die # 3 - 5 known examples

Die # 4 - 10-15 known examples

Die # 5 - 2 known examples

9 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I found the PM, £841 and someone on here got it ;) 

?

I had a faint memory it was you Jerry, and that he also lived pretty close to you too..

Thats right, and he had found it in a dealers 25p bowl!

Jerry

• Like 2

What an excellent find! I'm still waiting to find anything worth more than 25p in a 25p bowl :D 

• Like 1

I know that London Coins have sold a few, in fact that was where I purchased one (about 10 years ago). It was only fair and I ended up selling it on. About 18 months ago I was close to buying one of a nice chap in America which was the best example I had seen. It was a bold Good Fine, but I just couldn't go as high as he was looking for in the end (I offered around £2,700 if I recall). Apparently, a woman in America found it, took it to a local friend who noticed what it was and recommended the dealer to her. If I recall correctly it ended up back this side of the pond. I will try and find the pictures if I still have them!

I've just consulted my database of rare penny sales and I have details of  3 x die 2, 3 x die 3, 6 x die 4 and 1 x die 5 being sold over the last 12 years. I really must get out more.....

8 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

What an excellent find! I'm still waiting to find anything worth more than 25p in a 25p bowl :D 

When was the last time you were rooting through a 25p bowl? :lol:

• Like 1

I got my 1893 Jubillee head sixpence for 50p in a junk bowl! Don't knock junk bowls, especially those in non-coin dealer's antique shops.

Edited by DaveG38

3 hours ago, loose54 said:

I know that London Coins have sold a few, in fact that was where I purchased one (about 10 years ago). It was only fair and I ended up selling it on. About 18 months ago I was close to buying one of a nice chap in America which was the best example I had seen. It was a bold Good Fine, but I just couldn't go as high as he was looking for in the end (I offered around £2,700 if I recall). Apparently, a woman in America found it, took it to a local friend who noticed what it was and recommended the dealer to her. If I recall correctly it ended up back this side of the pond. I will try and find the pictures if I still have them!

"nice chap".......Bruce !

11 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Bruce Lorich ?

Yep. A real Gentleman, In the distant past dealt in High grade extremely rare coins, many British.

9 hours ago, jelida said:

?

Lucky you, but even luckier, the guy who found it in a dealer's junk bowl.

I found some nice things in junk bowls

10p for a 1958 50 franc, low grade 1758 sixpence for 25p.. about 20p for my 1903 open as well.

I did see an interesting 1863 with a die crack going up the middle of the date... makes you wonder.

Edited by scott

14 hours ago, Bernie said:

"nice chap".......Bruce !

It was indeed, a very nice man! Were you the eventual purchaser by any chance Bernie? It is fair to say that it is one of the few coins where having let it go I have looked back with slight regret. Oh well, onwards and upwards!