British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyb0468

Enthusiasm for collecting has stalled...

Well after a really good week.

1841 with colon.

1826 rev C

1871 BU / UNC

1872 BU...upgrade / different as have two other date widths.

Plus a couple of rare/scarce copper varieties in decent grades.

Getting withdarawals as most gaps filled or upgraded.......started shaking :lol:

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

I guess you spent a big amount of energy towards stacking direction and now you're having a time-out period. Don't think too much about that, I had had lots of times when I just wanted to sell everything and forget about stacking at all, but we change as time flows and our attitude and desires change too. so that's ok

• Like 2

These are strange posts written in a strange form of English. Do we have someone with a genuine interest in coins here or one of these random posters that appear from time to time, vaguely referring to what was previously posted and yet say nothing? :huh:

If you are genuinely into numismatics then you are welcome.

He's a precious metal 'stacker', different lingo I guess

I have just started back up collecting coins after a 6 year break .got a bit bored because the ones i needed to fill gaps or upgrade were beginning to be more expensive and harder to get . Unfortunately in the time i stopped collecting i sold my 1887 yh, 1887 jh, 1904 and 1905 half crowns which i regret now , but bills needed paid :(. I had to collect something in that time so went onto Notgeld . 3-4 thousand notgeld later ,I have went back to my coins . I had actually forgot about some of the pennies i had amassed when i was collecting .

55 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I have just started back up collecting coins after a 6 year break .got a bit bored because the ones i needed to fill gaps or upgrade were beginning to be more expensive and harder to get . Unfortunately in the time i stopped collecting i sold my 1887 yh, 1887 jh, 1904 and 1905 half crowns which i regret now , but bills needed paid :(. I had to collect something in that time so went onto Notgeld . 3-4 thousand notgeld later ,I have went back to my coins . I had actually forgot about some of the pennies i had amassed when i was collecting .

Welcome back Mick! What do you still have and what are you going to be focusing on acquiring?

This sounds just like me LOL, Im into other hobbies such as fishing, painting, metal detecting (although I suppose that kinda ties in with the coins), and taxidermy and I find that I have periods when im absolutely obsessed about coin collecting and im buying 2 or 3 coins every week to add to the collection, trawling internet and reading books and magazines, and then, all of a sudden i lose all interest in all things numismatic for a couple of months while i get obsessed with another hobby, then eventually back to coins again :D I am currently at a time where no other hobby interests me in the slightest only the coins, but im sure thatll change when i run out of coin money LOL

Also does anyone else feel that although they spend so much time and mony on their collection, it doesn't seem to get any bigger? Sometimes i feel depressed looking at it, saying to myself 'after all this bloody time, come on, only TEN sixpences? Only TWELVE shillings??' :) even though 'quality not quantity' has always been my motto- it gets frustrating sometimes!

C44

I started collecting in the mid-1980s and was pretty active for around 10 years. Then my career 'took off' and professional life dominated everything else. So, along with other hobbies, my coin collection took a back seat. I took early retirement around 6 years ago and began to get back into my hobbies and especially coin collecting. 

That was a bit of a missed opportunity as my pre-retirement disposable income was a lot more than it is now. When I think of some of the coins I could have bought ...........

I don't, however, spend most of my time thinking about coins (although into spend quite a lot). There are other things in life. My collecting is pretty targeted and I know what I am looking for. I generally buy from three or four established auction houses and my interest tends to peak around those sales.

That said, I enjoy discussing the hobby (especially on this site), looking at photos of coins that others have bought and looking at my own coins. The perfectionist in me is always looking with a critical eye and updating that 'upgrade list'.

13 hours ago, Conor44 said:

Also does anyone else feel that although they spend so much time and mony on their collection, it doesn't seem to get any bigger? Sometimes i feel depressed looking at it, saying to myself 'after all this bloody time, come on, only TEN sixpences? Only TWELVE shillings??' :)

Yes - especially with my British collection - 20 pennies down, what, another 250 to go?

On 8/13/2016 at 11:13 AM, Paulus said:

Welcome back Mick! What do you still have and what are you going to be focusing on acquiring?

I still have 95 % of my collection. I had sold on most of my early milled copper, hammered , silver crowns and 1904,1905 and 1887 halfcrowns. I have already replaced the 1887 onwards crowns (except the wreaths) and some low- mid grade copper and hammered. I had started upgrading my bronze pennies before I stopped ,so i might continue with that and filling gaps . hard to do on a tighter budget than i had before .