British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gifford

17thC Tokens

Hi, Just wondering if there are any other collectors of Lincolnshire 17th Century Trade tokens out there. Thanks

I collect 17th century tokens with a focus on unusual issuers ie the one token I have is the only known issuer whose profession was a rat catcher, but also collect tokens issued by women.  I really don't have a focus on particular locales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottishmoney said:

I collect 17th century tokens with a focus on unusual issuers ie the one token I have is the only known issuer whose profession was a rat catcher, but also collect tokens issued by women.  I really don't have a focus on particular locales.

Women's tokens were replaced by buisness cards left in phone boxes.I know a chap who collected these:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Would that be the Salisbury rat catcher George Godfrey? I collect Salisbury, Winchester and Andover tokens too but don't have a George Godfey. I am on the lookout for a couple of female token issuers, one Anne Orgainer of Godney and Elizabeth Colls of Crowland

1 hour ago, Gifford said:

Would that be the Salisbury rat catcher George Godfrey? I collect Salisbury, Winchester and Andover tokens too but don't have a George Godfey. I am on the lookout for a couple of female token issuers, one Anne Orgainer of Godney and Elizabeth Colls of Crowland

Indeed.  It even has a portrait of a ubiquitous rat.  What I enjoy the most about 17th century tokens is that many of them are very personal to the issuer - unlike many later tokens that were issued by municipalities, workhouses etc.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Women's tokens were replaced by buisness cards left in phone boxes.I know a chap who collected these:rolleyes:

If you had worked for BT and lived in Portslade, you'd have needed a hell of a storage space for the business cards. About 25 years ago, when I last visited the exchange, there was one entire huge wall completely covered in cards retrieved from coin boxes - back then BT was actively going round removing these on a regular and sustained basis, basically because BT was concerned about its image and the message failure to remove the cards might send.