British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Uncirculated ?

Recently I visited the Royal Australian Mint (RAM)in Canberra where you could observe the coin minting process from public viewing galleries which also house the RAM's museum. Given the treatment of the coins during the minting process ( dropping large amounts blanks and coins from a height, falling onto conveyer belts etc.) it is no supprise coins leave the mint in less than perfect condition, scratches, surface marks and minting errors. It seems to me if the criteria for uncirculated is how the coin left the mint then uncirculated is a very wide spectrum. The coin illustrated was sold as UNC on Ebay to me for GBP 10.00 and probably is if the above definition is accepted. However it would be nice to be able to obtain an example of this coin with out the surface marks these are indeed very rare and hard to come by.

img053.jpg

img052.jpg

The centre of the rose doesn't look sharp enough for unc, though that might be the scan. That's always the first point to wear. Bagmarks are an occupational hazard, so as usual, patience is a virtue.

I think a lot of patience is required as the only fully struck center I have ever seen on a George VI is on the 1937 proof florin otherwise they mostly seem a little weak in the center of the rose. The later issues, 1944  to 1946, seem to be better struck. As for the CuNi issues I don't know as I do not collect them.

Of course, without stirring up  a hornet's nest (I hope) a coin coin can be uncirculated without being fully stuck as technically they are not on the same spectrum. To have both a full strike and no "bagmarks" is quite the blessing. I have some specimen florins and proof as well from the 1942-46 period and they are quite nice as might be imagined....

58 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Of course, without stirring up  a hornet's nest (I hope) a coin coin can be uncirculated without being fully stuck as technically they are not on the same spectrum. To have both a full strike and no "bagmarks" is quite the blessing. I have some specimen florins and proof as well from the 1942-46 period and they are quite nice as might be imagined....

That’s why I will get so much more pleasure owing a fully struck unc currency coin without bag marks than the equivalent proof in mint state (even if the proof is a lot more expensive).

• Like 1

Ah yes, and your Wreath in currency without cheek,  mustache, or ear chatter with fully struck up flowers with stamens & crown cross detail is VERY hard indeed. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, Rob said:

The centre of the rose doesn't look sharp enough for unc, though that might be the scan. That's always the first point to wear. Bagmarks are an occupational hazard, so as usual, patience is a virtue.

An early 1940s florin I noticed graded by CGS and given 78 UIN 0024675 which shows wear in the center of the rose. I think the 1940 florin which is the subject of this thread has significantly less wear in the center of the rose. Seems to me once a coin has been third party graded nobody looks at the coin anymore and the grading is taken as gospel.

img.php-u=0024674&f=r&s=f.url

• Like 2

Frankly, I'd accept the OP coin as uncirculated with some "bagging" marks and an average strike that was acceptably IMO dipped at some point .

8 hours ago, ozjohn said:

An early 1940s florin I noticed graded by CGS and given 78 UIN 0024675 which shows wear in the center of the rose. I think the 1940 florin which is the subject of this thread has significantly less wear in the center of the rose. Seems to me once a coin has been third party graded nobody looks at the coin anymore and the grading is taken as gospel.

img.php-u=0024674&f=r&s=f.url

Indeed. Which is why I will never de-slab a coin unless my own appreciation of grade is higher than that of the grading company.