British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Prax

Partial Proof Set

All,

I came across this lot and found it strange that the shillings and a few other bits have gone missing.

Anyone know how much this set is worth please? Also does anyone have a copy of the Norweb catalogue. I am after lot 43.

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/48/lot/106036/

Thanks in advance.

P

Not sure if this helps Prax.

The Norweb Proof set 1956 (8 coins) lot 1165 Part 3 Sold for £850 + BP in November 1986.

Anything else and Rob has all the catalogues.

If its lot 43 i assume its the first one.

Thanks Pete. I think this is the ex Norweb set less the missing Shillings and thruppenny bit. Someone I know wanted one of these sets. But he seemed to think it was lot 43 of the Norweb sale that I had to refer. I will look for both lots 43 and lot 1165. That was very helpful. Thanks again.

Prax... I have the Norweb catalogues...lot 43 is a saxon penny...is that what you are after? I can give more info if it is

• Like 1

There was a collector that divested his 20th C. proof shillings through Spink about 12 or so years ago - many of these had to be obtained by breaking incrdibly rare VIP and Matte sets. I know because I bought a few, but not the QE2's. Don't know if it was the same source. That '56 set sold for a small fortune IMO....

It's easy to see how the sets get broken up. There was a 1958 Cu-Ni set in the Circular Dec. 2003 which Colin Adams bought for the halfcrown. I took the two shillings and the sixpence at the same time, whilst the florin probably went in Spink's March 2005 sale (I'd have to check) when he sold his duplicates prior to his halfcrown sale.

On 21/06/2016 at 5:18 PM, Colin G. said:

Prax... I have the Norweb catalogues...lot 43 is a saxon penny...is that what you are after? I can give more info if it is

Cheers Colin - I've got hold of the info I needed. Top forum this for anything coins ;)

• Like 2

On 21/06/2016 at 6:17 PM, VickySilver said:

There was a collector that divested his 20th C. proof shillings through Spink about 12 or so years ago - many of these had to be obtained by breaking incrdibly rare VIP and Matte sets. I know because I bought a few, but not the QE2's. Don't know if it was the same source. That '56 set sold for a small fortune IMO....

Hardly difficult to see why that would happen. There was also a massive Shilling sale on LCA a few years back and following that was a massive Maundy sale. We've also seen some penny sales recently, I can think of at least 4 quality sales in the last 3 years. I am sure a few years will pass before we see so many collections come to the market in such quick succession.

Yes indeed, some of the prices fetched are breathtaking and as you've no doubt surmised this would likely be the reason. I think it sad when original proof sets are broken up though; putting them back together certainly presents a bit of satisfaction. 

Remember the people who recieved these proof sets were probably not coin collectors so might not appreciate the need to keep the whole set together.

They might even not have understood the value or rarity of the set , if it was a foreign president  say he might have considered the coins as uninteresting and not particulally valueable , remember the set  would have been presented in the mid fiffties coin collecting was not as popular then

No doubt, however many of the sets DID seem to survive up until the 90s when they were broken up. I think the saddest was when one of the only two 1922/1924 proof sets from the Pretoria Mint collection was broken up (the one with the famous 1922/27 penny). The proof shilling collection I mentioned was a rather late entity that seems to have broken up quite a number of sets, including the 1941 - I bought those two shillings from Spink's offering and have not so far been able to find the other silvers.

15 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I think the saddest was when one of the only two 1922/1924 proof sets from the Pretoria Mint collection was broken up (the one with the famous 1922/27 penny).

When did it last sell?

I believe Heritage about 14 or so years ago the intact set sold; not sure about the other one which I think had to have been broken up in the 1992-2000 era. The biggest challenge is putting the cats back in the bag once they've been running around in the yard: I managed with the 1939 and 1946 sets and almost got the 1938.....

• Like 1