British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Davethepitch

Strange auction prices on Kew 50p coins

I have noticed on occasions that an average looking Kew 50p may sell for say £50 plus and yet some in excellent condition sell for around £35.

When I was into RC helicopters some people on there were paying the same second hand as a brand new item.

I just cannot  see any logic or pattern in the way people decide how much to pay.

Dave

Edited by Davethepitch

I guess it reiterates the saying "something is worth what someone is willing to pay" there is no logic especially on eBay.

Ian..

I have seen a few on a popular auction site clearly stating they are fakes and people have paid decent money for them. :o

Edited by Davethepitch

On 06/07/2016 at 6:03 PM, Davethepitch said:

I have seen a few on a popular auction site clearly stating they are fakes and people have paid decent money for them. :o

Ali Baba can fake just about anything for you, and a 50p coin is very cheap.

yes i remember that mine only got £30 or so in a-unc and worse coins were fetching £40 + very strange - you get that when people that know nothing about coins buy them though dont you.

20 hours ago, copper123 said:

yes i remember that mine only got £30 or so in a-unc and worse coins were fetching £40 + very strange

I have noticed that loads of times and i have seen really poor quality ones fetch good money and nice ones less and i cannot understand the logic of people.

And I still say there was some kind of fiddle going on with both the kew gardens coins and the undated 20p coins....

1 hour ago, Davethepitch said:

£30 plus paid for a copy what's up with some people.

They're human. If uncertain, greed will usually win out.

On 9 July 2016 at 8:05 PM, copper123 said:

And I still say there was some kind of fiddle going on with both the kew gardens coins and the undated 20p coins....

Albeit both Kew and the undated 20p only returned a profit on the secondary market, I've come around to this conclusion, added to that the dodgy press releases i.e the HMS Belfast release, to boost up interest / sow the idea that they're investment pieces amongst the public and then you generate sales from the RM in the hope/expectation, coupled with the sheer number of commemoratives that have been released this year and you've got a good income generator!

sorry for the poor grammar, I've had one or two Fursty Ferrets!

On 16/07/2016 at 7:09 PM, richtips86 said:

Albeit both Kew and the undated 20p only returned a profit on the secondary market, I've come around to this conclusion, added to that the dodgy press releases i.e the HMS Belfast release, to boost up interest / sow the idea that they're investment pieces amongst the public and then you generate sales from the RM in the hope/expectation, coupled with the sheer number of commemoratives that have been released this year and you've got a good income generator!

sorry for the poor grammar, I've had one or two Fursty Ferrets!

Not down your pants i hope LOL

• Like 1

I still think someone built up a large stock of these two coins then publicised them to death and made a killing .

Someone out there knows the truth .

It will come out someday

By the ways is a fursty ferret a yorkshire or lancashire ferret?

In the brewing sense I mean

4 minutes ago, copper123 said:

By the ways is a fursty ferret a yorkshire or lancashire ferret?

In the brewing sense I mean

A Dorset one.

A corffe castle ferret then

Nope. Blandford Forum. And Corfe only has one f.