British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

1931 penny with missing waves and an open 3?

I posted this 1931 penny the other day in the die clogs thread as a "missing waves" variety, Just noted the date looked odd

BP%201931%20AA%201.jpg

comparison of dates  with a normal 1931

1931%20dates.jpg

That upper loop of the 3 looks decidedly larger to me, comments welcome

58 minutes ago, davidrj said:

I posted this 1931 penny the other day in the die clogs thread as a "missing waves" variety, Just noted the date looked odd

BP%201931%20AA%201.jpg

1931%20dates.jpg

David, I think you are right! Also it looks to me like the top 9 is closed, and the bottom 9 is open. :)

Any signs of acid attack as all the four datal figures look to be slightly thinner? Are the letters of the legend also a little thinner. If so, that plus elimination of the very low relief might indicate a chemical reason.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Any signs of acid attack as all the four datal figures look to be slightly thinner? Are the letters of the legend also a little thinner. If so, that plus elimination of the very low relief might indicate a chemical reason.

Everything else looks normal to me, a bog standard circulated 1931. I'm 90% convinced that missing waves are a result of grease fill rather than die alteration/wear/other damage and may possibly occur in all dates 1927-36. The 1934 will probably stay at a premium as it featured in a high profile sale and is to be included in the new Freeman. I'm waiting on delivery of a high grade 1929 which looks interesting.

As for the 3, I have no answer at present, I don't think it's an optical illusion due to the surrounded verdegris, but...

I'm hoping forum members will take the time to look in their caches of GV pennies to see if anything similar turns up

6 hours ago, RLC35 said:

David, I think you are right! Also it looks to me like the top 9 is closed, and the bottom 9 is open. :)

Just to add to the fun, the beads appear different, but this might be the photograph and the rims seem to be different thicknesses.

22 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Just to add to the fun, the beads appear different, but this might be the photograph and the rims seem to be different thicknesses.

Agreed, I'll give it an acetone bath,and will rescan it with another similar grade one with identical illumination.

Just checked my spares - only got one 1931 but it's the same "open" 3 so it may well be fairly common.

1931 F205 open 3 zoom.JPG

Mine is an open 3 as well but with a closed 9

Edited by jacinbox

13 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

Mine is an open 3 as well but with a closed 9

They are all the same Gary or am i missing something ?.

3 hours ago, davidrj said:

As for the 3, I have no answer at present, I don't think it's an optical illusion due to the surrounded verdegris, but...

....amazing what a good clean can do, sorry guys but I think there is no difference

1931.jpg

:( Not going to make my fortune on this one

David

They just look thicker and thinner to me, but the same 3. Not just different strikes in a die's life?

The 1929 has just arrived

BP%201929%20B%201.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

They just look thicker and thinner to me, but the same 3. Not just different strikes in a die's life?

There's a forum member ?Gary who is very good at overlays, anyone know how it's done?

You can use any application that has a transparency setting, just make one picture a little more transparent so you can see the background image and overlay it. If no-one has done one by tomorrow I'll mock one up but I have meetings for the rest of the day and don't have any app like that at home.

Alfnail is the best and that is the only answer overlays.

Looking again the two comparisons are  the same its the photos that are different...:)

Can you help please Ian.........although i am sure you have better things to do.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

They are all the same Gary or am i missing something ?.

Aye

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:40 AM, davidrj said:

BP%201931%20AA%201.jpg

1931%20dates.jpg

I just found just one of these in my spares box of about 80   1931s, and have noticed that it also has a dropped 9 which is distinctly lower than the other digits   Terry

it looks, to the eye, like the 3 is higher on missing waves, due to the shape of the 3

1037812.jpg

got this the other day, another missing waves, same deal with the 3.