British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Stuntman

Testing - photos of my 1829 Halfcrown...

Hopefully this will work.  Here's my new acquisition of an 1829 Halfcrown from the Midland Coin fair yesterday.  First attempt at pictures!  

Opinions on grade welcome.  Looking at it again today, I'd give it a solid NVF!

Halfcrown%201829%20Obverse_zpszpyxrib1.jHalfcrown%201829%20Reverse_zpsxjibgncp.j

Edited by Stuntman

A couple more new acquisitions.  A 1745 LIMA shilling from the Midland Coin Fair again, and a 1703 VIGO shilling from a local auction recently.  Again grading opinions welcome.  I suspect I overpaid for the VIGO shilling!

Shilling%201745%20LIMA%20Obverse_zpsdmmfShilling%201745%20LIMA%20Reverse_zpswvx1Shilling%201702%20VIGO%20Obverse_zpsshhhShilling%201702%20VIGO%20Reverse_zpsgvlg

Edited by Stuntman

Hi Stuntman,

As someone who's collection doesn't have any shillings "Yet" and only a couple of Half Crowns. Whats the significance of LIMA and VIGO?

Ian

Rob might come along with more detail, but it's to do with the silver being used in the coins.  I think the VIGO silver was captured by Admiral Rooke from the Spanish or French (accounts differ) in Vigo Bay, and the LIMA silver was captured from the Spanish by Admiral Anson.

Also, I think it's correct that VIGO was the first time that a word was used on a coin to denote the origin of its silver, as opposed to Roses, Plumes etc.

I wanted one of each, because of the historical interest.  I have a 1723 SSC (South Sea Company silver) shilling and a 1739 Roses (West Country mines silver) shilling, both of which are pretty common.  I would like a Plumes (Welsh mines) shilling as well, ideally a Queen Anne one of 1707 or 1708.  One day!

Edited by Stuntman

That's a cracking bit of history, especially the story of the Lima coins. Would make a good book and film.

Hard times, never knowing if today was your last day but what an adventure.

Here's one of my plumes shillings (ex Rob)

1705_sh_plumes_1000x500.png

I also like plumes, roses, R & P, S.S.C. etc, not just for the history, but because without them the designs remain completely unchanged for several reigns!

There is also the 1723-26 W.C.C. (bullion provided by the Welsh Copper Company) shillings (good luck finding / affording those in high grades!), EIC (East India Company, found on some George II gold coins), and elephant, or elephant and castle, (Charles II - William III gold and some silver, indicating that the bullion used in the manufacture of the coins came from Guinea in West Africa - which is how the Guinea 21/- coin came to be named).

Edited by Paulus

Cracking shilling there Paulus :wub:

I was aware of the WCC shillings but not the EIC, nor the reason behind the Elephant or Elephant & Castle.  Great stuff, thanks!

Charles I also used the plumes above shield to denote Welsh silver

You're welcome!
I guess I had better restore the photos, I must have altered the old links:

1829 Halfcrown

O%20Halfcrown%201829_zpsw6hlvqpz.jpg

1703 VIGO Shilling

M%20Shilling%201703%20VIGO_zpse6yeyiqm.j

1745 LIMA Shilling

M%20Shilling%201745%20LIMA_zpsq68qcoqd.j

And the 1723 SSC and 1739 Roses Shillngs - good honest mid grade coins all, I'd say.  I still like them very much!

M%20Shilling%201723%20SSC_zpsxmxowxgt.jp

M%20Shilling%201739%20Roses_zpscvtjn7i0.

• Like 1