British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

DNW - Coins Going Cheaply?

2 minutes ago, Leo said:

Jaggy, which British coins have the most demand in the US, international and investment market? Am I right to think sovereigns and gothic crowns?

From all the Spanish coinage, there is one piece whose market prices have been maintained high through the recession, thanks to international demand: the 8 real. The reason is that the US collectors are interested in it because it was legal tender there at some point. A good collection of 8 reales coins, VF+ and slabbed, is a good looking pension fund

You are probably right but, to be honest, I don't really know. As a collector, I'm only really focused on my own area of interest. However, when really choice sixpences come up for auction in the USA they usually get good prices although, recently, I have been able to buy good coins cheaper than in a UK auction.

The US market is primarily interested in US coins. I would put collectors of world coins in the USA at around 15% of the total (based on a wholly unscientific review of registry point tables on the NGC site).

As to the investment market, someone once put up a list of the U.K. coins that are targeted.

1 hour ago, Leo said:

Jaggy, which British coins have the most demand in the US, international and investment market? Am I right to think sovereigns and gothic crowns?

From all the Spanish coinage, there is one piece whose market prices have been maintained high through the recession, thanks to international demand: the 8 real. The reason is that the US collectors are interested in it because it was legal tender there at some point. A good collection of 8 reales coins, VF+ and slabbed, is a good looking pension fund

I personally quite like the 8 reales and their history, plus the British plundered quite a few to make their own coinage when silver was in short supply.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

You are probably right but, to be honest, I don't really know. As a collector, I'm only really focused on my own area of interest. However, when really choice sixpences come up for auction in the USA they usually get good prices although, recently, I have been able to buy good coins cheaper than in a UK auction.

The US market is primarily interested in US coins. I would put collectors of world coins in the USA at around 15% of the total (based on a wholly unscientific review of registry point tables on the NGC site).

As to the investment market, someone once put up a list of the U.K. coins that are targeted.

I think that list was on the Stanley Gibbons website, those coins aren't for the faint hearted though and start at around the 6 figure mark

Not massively impressed with the DNW website. If you try to blow up the pics, all you get is the same size, blurred, and whilst the items I saved to "my cabinet" were retained for a few days, when I tried to look again just a few minutes ago, the page was empty. 

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Not massively impressed with the DNW website. If you try to blow up the pics, all you get is the same size, blurred, and whilst the items I saved to "my cabinet" were retained for a few days, when I tried to look again just a few minutes ago, the page was empty. 

Yes that annoyed me too, losing all the coins in my cabinet.

The blown up pics work well for me though, bigger and not blurred - can you give a lot number by way of example?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

With Heritage and London Coins where I can almost always use their photo for my catalogue, I always have to re-photo coins won at DNW. Not a big problem  but definitely an area for improvement. Still not as bad as Spink, however.

My cabinet saves also disappeared. I think it happened when they moved the auction catalogue out of preview.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

Yes that annoyed me too, losing all the coins in my cabinet.

The blown up pics work well for me though, bigger and not blurred - can you give a lot number by way of example?

Well this is lot 969. On my devices, when I blow it up, it just shows a blurred image, for whatever reason.

Edited by 1949threepence
slightly more explanation as the link didn't retain the blown up image

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its ok Mike must be you :)

It usually is, Pete, to be fair :ph34r: 

It's difficult to see how blurred that image is.  What does it look like when you click the magnify button?

• Like 1

You could always try flushing the cache to make sure your browser has to download a fresh copy.

• Like 1

I actually think the DNW auction pics are pretty good. On my PC, using Chrome, if I click on the image to zoom, and then double-click, I get this:

1861_penny_september_2016_02.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

I actually think the DNW auction pics are pretty good. On my PC, using Chrome, if I click on the image to zoom, and then double-click, I get this:

1861_penny_september_2016_02.jpg

That's what I failed to do - many thanks, Paul :)