British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

little-treasurez

Upcoming auction for unique celtic iron age silver unit

I wanted to share this beautiful unique Celtic silver unit found by my detecting friend Peter a few weeks ago.and has been recorded on PAS ref;  HAMP-FCA2F3

The coin will be sold in auction a little later this week by a well known auction house in London

Image1forWeb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for a really informative post.

I look forward to your future contributions and hope Peter does really well.

:rolleyes:

Anything else you would like to contibute along the lines of being ........beautiful ?.

Peter is not that bothered if he cant make a post himself.

yummy coin

No museum wanted this?

Dave they wouldn't get the chance unless they were in the auction room with the rest of us. A single coin would not be recordable and therefore would not go through the treasure process.

Am I right in thinking that if a piece such as this were bought by an overseas buyer, an export licence would be required; and if so a Brit museum could then purchase the item at hammer price?

Way out of my comfort zone, but in the course of re-photographing my collection I am reminded that I have this

sabin_obv03_1l_t_1600.jpg

I know what I think it is, but can someone properly ID it for me?

Not a great rarity I'm fairly sure, but thanks for any help :)

Does anyone know how much the coin sold for.....or where the good Peter was metal detecting? 

On 20 September 2016 at 1:49 AM, Paulus said:

Way out of my comfort zone, but in the course of re-photographing my collection I am reminded that I have this

sabin_obv03_1l_t_1600.jpg

I know what I think it is, but can someone properly ID it for me?

Not a great rarity I'm fairly sure, but thanks for any help :)

From my memory of Roman history, and the letters SABIN on the obverse, it could be a commemorative of the rape of the Sabine women? The reverse appears to show women being carried off. Apart from this, I can't help much.

Here's a similar item on eBay - it seems my hunch was right:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roman-Republic-Sabinus-89BC-Rare-Silver-Ancient-Coin-Rape-of-Sabine-i28426-/230811767964

Edited by Peckris

Just now, Peckris said:

From my memory of Roman history, and the letters SABIN on the obverse, it could be a commemorative of the rape of the Sabine women? The reverse appears to show women being carried off. Apart from this, I can't help much.

Yes, I think it's in Chris' @Chris Perkins book 'Roman Silver Coins' as Silver Denarius 89BC Rape of Sabine Women, L. Titurius Sabinus, CRS204 Group 6 Class 1a (two or more human characters/trophies), thanks Chris

• Like 1

It seems it is a rare item.