British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Davethepitch

I hope my Kew 50p is not fake

I have been reading about fake coins and noticed that the Kew has some knocking around.

I have weighed mine at 9 grand but it should be about 8 grand and there is a difference with the queens eye against an origina.

I hope mine is not a fake as I cannot afford another.

You keep worrying Dave.

Maybe worth leaving ebay alone and buying off a reputable dealer you can trust.

If you carry on you may end up needing a mogodon prescription.

With this and the other fifty pences all seems to be getting a bit much ;)

Be lucky and put the hand brake on.

Can you post a picture of the obverse please?

This coin was my pride and joy and now I feel gutted as I would never do that on someone. :(

Edited by Davethepitch

22 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

This coin was my pride and joy and now I feel gutted as I would never do that on someone. :(

How long ago did you buy it? Do you still have time to return it?

I cannot trace who i purchased it from but i am thinking of not collecting anymore coins as i obviously am not experienced enough and i should have done my home work but i always take people at their word as that is how i lead my life and i guess this sounds like i am throwing my dummy out of my pram but i am not i am just really gutted.

Thanks Dave

Ouch - that's no good Dave.

Sorry you have had this happen.

12 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Ouch - that's no good Dave.

Sorry you have had this happen.

My problem is i take people at face value and i have trust but it appears to have failed me this time as the Kew 50p was my pride and joy.

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe worth leaving ebay alone and buying off a reputable dealer you can trust.

Sound advice should you wish to carry on collecting.

Listen to the more experienced on this forum and you won't go far wrong.

I don't suppose it's much comfort to know we've all made mistakes in collecting Dave.  I've bought coins that were overgraded, others that were cleaned and in one case when I came to sell one I made a huge loss ... yes, it hurts.  And sometimes you don't know if the seller knew what they were selling wasn't worth the money or not.  Honest people can still sell you duff goods believing them genuine themselves.  I'm sure other members will have similar stories to tell.

But I'm sure we've also got more confident as time has passed.  And if uncertain about a coin, well, there are always people here who will give an opinion.  Plus trustworthy sellers.

It would be a terrible shame if you stopped collecting because of this, just as you find this forum and were finding it fun.

I was loving collecting but this has been a kick in the stomach i did not expect and it was fun whilst it lasted.

thanks everyone from Dave

12 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

I was loving collecting but this has been a kick in the stomach i did not expect and it was fun whilst it lasted.

thanks everyone from Dave

Dave .

Dont lose interest i am sure everyone on here has made a mistake or purchased something they believed was better from a picture.

There are a lot of honest and helpful people here on the forum who could possibly guide you in the right direction.

Have a think and come back tomorrow with a smile :)

Pete.

1 hour ago, Davethepitch said:

...i am thinking of not collecting anymore coins as i obviously am not experienced enough...

Now you are. You won't make that mistake again, so if nothing else you've bought some experience. Don't give up, keep it as a reminder to take good care with whatever you buy. As TomGoodheart says, we've all done it. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

keep it as a reminder to take good care with whatever you buy.

I would not mind if it was one of my other coins as i was really pleased and proud with owning a Kew 50p only to find out its a fake and it was my talking point to others and now i feel stupid and gutted.

Dave You have been very unlucky to be duped by this.99.9% of the time this doesn't happen. Buy buying known/documented risk coins you must have the knowledge. Was it an ebay purchase? Go out and get your real one and put this down to an important lesson.You have got off cheaply as a Gothic crown or Northumberland shilling would of emptied your pockets.

Hi Peter

I understand what you are saying but this is something that came out of the blue and is something i would never do to anyone.

Dave don't give up. I have been stung more than once and look at it as part of the learning curve.

I'm sure a wander around a coin fair will find you several.nice examples. Plus there will be a chance you will fall for 17&18 C copper.:)

Being stung is a necessary part of the learning curve. They are only copied because people pay silly money for them. You have learnt a lesson and now you are wiser, so rather than throw in the towel on the basis of one occurrence, why not use the knowledge gained to guard against the future?

You could always wait for one to appear in change. I've had two undated 20ps in my change this year. 2008-9 price was £300 give or take a bit. Today they trade at 10% of that sum. Patience.

Dave.

Sorry i have not got a Kew gardens but found some other decimal 50p in cgs slabs.

Your welcome to them as i know they are going to a good home.

I dont want anything for them.

If you want them just PM me your address...........Not everyone is out of order :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dave.

Sorry i have not got a Kew gardens but found some other decimal 50p in cgs slabs.

Your welcome to them as i know they are going to a good home.

I dont want anything for them.

If you want them just PM me your address...........Not everyone is out of order :)

Pete, at times you're a true gent. Just not when negotiating with me. :P

Hat off. :)

4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Pete, at times you're a true gent. Just not when negotiating with me. :P

Hat off. :)

Good on ya Pete