British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark240590

Grading conder tokens, help ?

Hi guys I'm just wondering if there's any set rules in grading these as they weren't always struck with healthy dies..

this is is the coin which has prompted the question. I really want to have as near to great as I can I now have four of them 2 without the die cracks but are VF at best 1 VG/F and this which I would say EF.

DE024AE3-3B7B-4F3C-965B-DB9F8D53DAB1.jpe

A8A1AED9-811C-400C-B01E-69487217395D.jpe

Grading doesn't depend on the quality of the dies. It is simply a means of quantifying wear. Die cracks don't come into it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Grading doesn't depend on the quality of the dies. It is simply a means of quantifying wear. Die cracks don't come into it.

That is the way I would have take it to be, but another forum people seemed to suggest by the polishing being missing detail it could contribute to a lower grade. I know I would love one with the full details in this grade too though :) 

The coin is EF yes the fact it is poorly struck is obvious to everyone in numismatic circles ,  I surpose its best not to mention it really, just state the grade with a picture if you come to sell it , there are many other issues with problems as well like early george V pennies a well struck one will fetch a premium and is a bonus to you but an a run of the mill one might not appeal to anyone.

Would be nice if you could knock on the royal mints doors and ask them to restrike your coin as you aint happy with it .

9 hours ago, copper123 said:

The coin is EF yes the fact it is poorly struck is obvious to everyone in numismatic circles ,  I surpose its best not to mention it really, just state the grade with a picture if you come to sell it , there are many other issues with problems as well like early george V pennies a well struck one will fetch a premium and is a bonus to you but an a run of the mill one might not appeal to anyone.

Would be nice if you could knock on the royal mints doors and ask them to restrike your coin as you aint happy with it .

Indeed ! Haha "excuse me mate my 1933 penny was poorly struck can you do it again please ?"